Triangle-LePro.......??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen both labeled as being the harder tip. Based on recent samples which tip is considered the harder one? Is it really much different? Thinking about going back to a solid tip for one of my cues and was curious as to why the different ratings. Thanx.

Locotone07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the general consensus and all the hardness charts say the LePros are softer but on my cues, the Triangles FEEL and sound softer. I only use 15mm Tweeten tips, this is a comparison of at least two different boxes, purchased a year apart.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen both labeled as being the harder tip. Based on recent samples which tip is considered the harder one? Is it really much different? Thinking about going back to a solid tip for one of my cues and was curious as to why the different ratings. Thanx.

I've hit lots of both and I've never hit a lepro that was harder than a triangle unless it was pressed.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand this is a "sensory" thing and other factors such as mushrooming may make a difference........

But how 'bout someone with a box of both just stick a durometer in a 1/2 dozen or dozen samples from each?

smt

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hardness

I think the combined experience of the cuemakers on this site, and the thousands of Le Pro and Triangle tips cut by them has to amount to acquired fact. :)

Mario

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree!

But they don't:cool:

So is it this one: (selectively cherry picking) :smile:

the hardness charts say the LePros are softer but on my cues, the Triangles FEEL and sound softer.

Or this one:
Triangles tend to be harder

Or maybe i'm just bored & starting at the durometer boxes on the shelf....;)

smt

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Silver Member
All the triangle tips I've used over the years have looked white or kinda silver (the leather). The last boxed I received it looks as if the tips are now being made with the same leather used to make the Le Pro tips, kinda brown/orange colored leather.

The tips vary greatly in each box some very solid and hard others much softer and fuzz up when cut. I prefer the harder solid ones over the softer ones. That being said if comparing the harder solid ones I find the le pro to be a harder tip over the triangle. Both play nice to me anyway, when they are solid and not softer.

Maybe it's just me but I quit using le pros myself years ago because of the random miscue you get from them for no good reason.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this being said, is there a layered tip that is close to how a good Triangle plays? I know, there's a zillion tips out there but i'm just curious is all. Thanks guys.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gave up on the inconsistencies and am more or less happy with milk duds. :grin-square: (Blue tips on right/any photo = unmodified Elkmasters)

smt_milkdud1.jpg

smt_milkdud2.jpg

smt_milkdud3.jpg

smt_milkdud4.jpg

Caveats:
1.) milk duds have their own inconsistencies.
2.) I tried a number of "high end" layered tips based on requests from customers (get one for them, try one myself), and like these a lot better - was surprised as i only tried it on a lark with no expectations.
3.) I'm about a quarter step above banger level player - "YMMV"

smt

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
All this being said, is there a layered tip that is close to how a good Triangle plays? I know, there's a zillion tips out there but i'm just curious is all. Thanks guys.

I have shot with triangles for years and agree, a good one hits so nice. I have finally found, IMO, a layered tip that does everything that I get from a good triangle. It is the Ultra skin Ivory Medium. I have just switched both shafts for my main cue after testing for a month on my Friday/Saturday nite cue.
dave

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have shot with triangles for years and agree, a good one hits so nice. I have finally found, IMO, a layered tip that does everything that I get from a good triangle. It is the Ultra skin Ivory Medium. I have just switched both shafts for my main cue after testing for a month on my Friday/Saturday nite cue.
dave

I had just about given up on layered tips; thought I’d try the US Ivory med tip on my main player. Dave, your insight on all things pool have been quite helpful; now I feel more comfortable with my choice. Hope I feel the same way Friday morning! Thanks again!

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Le Pros on house cues mostly, but I press them first. I too am concerned with the inconsistencies with Triangles and Triumphs. I recently had to send two boxes of Triumphs back to Tweeten. The leather felt like marsh mellows on the top. Cut off three in a row right after install. Haven't gotten any response from Tweeten yet.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Le Pros on house cues mostly, but I press them first. I too am concerned with the inconsistencies with Triangles and Triumphs. I recently had to send two boxes of Triumphs back to Tweeten. The leather felt like marsh mellows on the top. Cut off three in a row right after install. Haven't gotten any response from Tweeten yet.

You might have a better chance with a blizzard in Florida. I don't think they care. AT ALL, about tip quality.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to use Le Pro for house cues too I usually do batches of 20 of so at the time, and the inconsistency from one tip to the next is laughable. I used to think of Triangle tips as higher quality, but I've had the same inconsistency issues with those tips too for a while now. So in order to give the customer the right price quote, I now divide the price of a box by 30 instead of 50, as about 20% sometimes more, go right in the trash...

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to use Le Pro for house cues too I usually do batches of 20 of so at the time, and the inconsistency from one tip to the next is laughable. I used to think of Triangle tips as higher quality, but I've had the same inconsistency issues with those tips too for a while now. So in order to give the customer the right price quote, I now divide the price of a box by 30 instead of 50, as about 20% sometimes more, go right in the trash...

When I buy a box of elkmaster's I put them through a few tests to find the more consistent tips:

1. 1. Visual inspection, focusing on the back of the tip more than anywhere else. Any scars or wrinkles in the leather? Is the grain consistent?
  2. 2. Bounce test. How does each tip bounce if dropped from about 1 foot onto a hard surface? I drop each one a few times to make sure I can get a sense for how it reacts to the impact. I've seen tips that consistently hit the surface and flip over in place (good) and others fly off the table ping-ponging inconsistently.
  3. 3. Sound. Taking what is left of the tips at this point, I drop them again and listen for the sound it makes on impact. If it's a dull thud, or sounds "dead" in any way, I toss it. Generally at this stage I'm down to about 15 tips from the original 50.
  4. 4. Last - do they float or sink when placed in the "milk". Floaters get tossed.

After all is said and done - my experience has been that only about 20% of a box of ElkMaster's are consistently good tips.

The last batch of duds I made I ended up with 12 of the original 50. I've installed these on a few cues now and I think that while my methods are not precise and fairly subjective I have been able to achieve consistent performance with all of them after they are pressed.

Duds FTW. I take the ones that I press "too hard" and make break tips out of them. They are awesome.