Is it possible to keep my new 860 playing like new???

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for giggles, I tried a dry microfiber cloth after, I'm guessing, ten racks or so. Here's the results. The table wasn't heavily chalk-soiled as I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase and being overly careful about chalking and burn marks. That won't last long, as I think burn marks add character.

Seems like the rag fibers reach into the cloth fibers and clean it quite well with only light pressure and one or two passes from head to foot. It also fits well under the cushions as well as the inner edges of the pockets.

Just sort of fooling around 'til someone sees fit to buy me an X-1 for my birthday in February. It's totally a judgement call, and a tough one with merely photos, but I wonder if those in the know can get a feeling as to how these results compare to the X-1?

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6010.jpg

Darkray

Registered
That's been my experience too with the simple dry towel since my cloth is less than a month old. I read somewhere here that someone had a microfiber "mitten" that would probably be perfect. Sounds like an easy find in an auto-detailing aisle.

I'd be interested in more X-1 testimonials too. From what I've read so far seems it's a "cool, convenient, effective gadget" but isn't necessarily a total miracle cure for chalk dust and debris. Some seem to love it though. I have a hard time believing that Simonis would market a product that doesn't hold up with their name as the finest cloth manufacturer.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
The X1 works as it's supposed to. Have any of you seen what they use to extract chalk dust from the carom tables...? Same concept as the X1.

If you guys are really good at using the search option you might find some good info on a supplement extractor.
The issue is if the cloth was installed correctly as to how it takes maintenance.

Rob.M

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't about all this obsessiveness. Personally I have a hard time adjusting
to table conditions at bars. I have a home table. Part of me wants to let it get dirty, chalky, and sticky so it plays more like real world conditions. I don't polish the balls but once or twice per month. Perfect table at home doesn't seem to translate to bar table tournaments where it "counts". Maybe it's only my problem???

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You realize that only one side is meant to be played on?

I do now...lol. I'll be replacing said cloth in a few month's....trust me no harm was done..... hell for all I know the wrong side was prolly put down to begin with.....

rocket23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't about all this obsessiveness. Personally I have a hard time adjusting
to table conditions at bars. I have a home table. Part of me wants to let it get dirty, chalky, and sticky so it plays more like real world conditions. I don't polish the balls but once or twice per month. Perfect table at home doesn't seem to translate to bar table tournaments where it "counts". Maybe it's only my problem???

no, I agree here.....'specially bout the elements that we can not control....:)

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's pretty much what I was driving at, Dale. Now, I can enjoy the table, keep it well maintained, and wait for the inevitable. Thanks for saving me the 80 bucks I was going to blow on the Simonis X-1... :wink:

It's subjective of course, but I personally feel like you are better off having it wear-in. New cloth feels nice, rolls nice, and draws great... However, it also skids, rolls too fast, causes the rails to be slippery so spinning balls don't grab so well which makes it less effective for spinning balls and twisting banks, or at least makes it inconsistent with the well used tables/cloth in the pool halls; to me it's worse than playing with overly clean and polished balls. I'd much rather have a cloth that's been broken-in for a bit... And slightly-dirty balls to go with that.

And in the vein of preserving the looks, and possibly the feel, of the cloth... If you have fluorescent lamps over your table, trade them out for tungsten, or even better, LED lights... Fluorescent lighting emits UV light that will cause a break-down of the dyes used to color fabric, this can dull the color over the span over time (probably noticeable after a few years for a moderately used home table since the light isn't on all day, but a 6 months to a year or so in a pool hall). This is true of tungsten light as well, but not near as bad.

Fluorescent light will also, albeit very slowly, break-down the fabric... I don't know if that will ever noticeably affect how the cloth feels and plays, especially compared to other factors, like heat, ozone, general use; somebody would have to test it. But if you want to maximize the life and feel of the cloth, maybe it's something to consider.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of good info here. Lots of things to consider too. Getting new cloth is about like getting a new car. Its great for awhile, then the "newness" wears off and its not that big of a deal. Its my understanding Jeanette Lee has new cloth put on her table 3-4 times a year.

Anyway, I've done about everything people on here have suggested. I've used a damp towel to wipe the table off. I've brushed it. I've got the Simonis X-1 also. Bottom line, as xxxx said, when the cloth gets a little worn the playability it had when it was new is gone.

I am having new regular Simonis 860 in English Green put on my Gold Crown IV this weekend. And I do need to clean the table, and my balls, more than I should. I retire March 31st so i'll have more time to devote to the important things in life.

Having said all of this, there is about only thing that you might be able to do that could possibly help replicate that new cloth playability. That would be to make sure your Cue Ball is polished, or even waxed. As we all know, draw shots on new cloth are a lot easier. If you polish/wax your CB that can somewhat replicate the ease of the draw shot.

DCP

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lot of good suggestions, we have started to use break pads at our rec rooms, does make a difference. At home I use the X-1 and keep the balls clean.

Very nice Anniversary by the way.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many tried and true suggestions mentioned here. Here are some points not mentioned.

Am I crazy to think that many players excessively chalk their cues and sometimes chalking them over the table. We all know that chalk is the culprit, why not try to minimize it. Why is it that when you see a snooker player chalking his cue it is with very few light brushes with the chalk and well away from the table. Do snooker players know something we don't?

And is there a correct direction to brush an 860 cloth so has not to raise the fibers. Is a cloth installed on a table with that in mind? Head to Foot or Foot to Head?

An inquiry mind wants know. :shrug:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So many tried and true suggestions mentioned here. Here are some points not mentioned.

Am I crazy to think that many players excessively chalk their cues and sometimes chalking them over the table. We all know that chalk is the culprit, why not try to minimize it. Why is it that when you see a snooker player chalking his cue it is with very few light brushes with the chalk and well away from the table. Do snooker players know something we don't?

And is there a correct direction to brush an 860 cloth so has not to raise the fibers. Is a cloth installed on a table with that in mind? Head to Foot or Foot to Head?

An inquiry mind wants know. :shrug:

Most modern pool table cloth are non-directional. They can be brushed in any direction.