Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Petition for Olympic Billiards
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-05-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppage View Post
If billiards doesn't make it but video games do that will truly be a sign of the times. And a sad one at that.

http://wtop.com/tech/2014/12/video-games-ever-olympics/
And darts.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#32)
cincy_kid
AzB Silver Member
cincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond reputecincy_kid has a reputation beyond repute

02-05-2015, 12:02 PM

signed, sealed, delivered.

Old
  (#33)
abs
AzB Silver Member
abs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 10:20 AM

As a matter of principal, I don't think pool should be in the Olympics. Despite how much I would love for the game to have that kind of visibility; it's just not an athletic sport by any measure.

That being said, I signed the petition for whatever it will be worth. The big O does include "disciplines". So if the equestrian "disciplines" can be a part of the Olympics (shouldn't the horses get the medals, not the riders?), and if golf can as well, then what the hey.

Old
  (#34)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
As a matter of principal, I don't think pool should be in the Olympics. Despite how much I would love for the game to have that kind of visibility; it's just not an athletic sport by any measure.

That being said, I signed the petition for whatever it will be worth. The big O does include "disciplines". So if the equestrian "disciplines" can be a part of the Olympics (shouldn't the horses get the medals, not the riders?), and if golf can as well, then what the hey.
Wrong....Mika could never of won the US Open from the losers bracket first round loss....w/o being in Perfect physical condition, like Tiger Woods.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#35)
abs
AzB Silver Member
abs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond reputeabs has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Wrong....Mika could never of won the US Open from the losers bracket first round loss....w/o being in Perfect physical condition, like Tiger Woods.
I get what you are saying, but have to disagree with how it plays out in reality.

First, you are citing one of a few exceptions to make an point for the majority. Mika is in better than average shape, though not "perfect" shape at all. If that's perfect shape, then I'm surrounded by gods. But seriously, he's only one of a few players that are in decent shape. The majority of winning pro players are not in shape at all. Second, being in shape is not the same as being an athlete.

Being out of shape can hurt, being in shape can help, but being in shape is not a necessity to win at pool even over a long haul. Plenty of mediocre (or worse) shape players play long tournaments and survive to finish well. There are world-class players that have never been in shape their entire lives. For some, the closest they have come to working out is lifting a cue stick (or lifting a doughnut from a napkin to their mouth). Kind of like this... Great Athletes

The game is about skill/knowledge and mental stamina... And being physically capable of executing (which being in shape is certainly part of). But the kind of physical stamina needed to play pool is not the same as needed to run 10 miles. You can be in average physical shape and still rock the house over a multi-day tournament.

But I'll admit, I just made this reply so I could post that video link

Old
  (#36)
Celtic
AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Celtic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-06-2015, 01:09 PM

What are we going to get them to play in the Olympics?

8 ball on a 7 foot Valley?
8 ball on a 7 foot Diamond?
8 ball on a 9 foot Diamond?
9-ball on a 9-foot Diamond?
10-ball on a 9-foot Gold Crown?
8 ball on a 10 foot Diamond?
10 ball on a 10 foot Diamond?
8 ball on a 9-foot Gold Crown?
9-ball on a 9 foot Gold Crown?
10-ball on a 9-foot Gold Crown?
8 ball on a Chinese 8-ball table?
I am going to assume 1-pocket, straight pool, and banks are not part of this discussion at all.

What balls are we going to use? Cyclop? SAP? Brunswick Cents? Are we going to change back and forth every Olympics to whatever the flavor of the week is or are we going to pick the best and stick with them?

How are we going to properly pick the competitors from each country? There are no proper professional tours in half of the world, do you tell people they need points from events like the US Open and hope those players trying to get points to make the US Team get paid if they win? We have few people who could even run qualifiers for something like this and how do you run them? Do you take an entry fee and just put the money into the trip to pay for housing and travel? Who is allowed to play in these qualifying events? Everyone who wants a chance to go to the Olympics, we do not have a proper ranking system to say "you are not good enough to try to get to the Olympics"? There might be a lot of people who would try to do this and it may take many tiers of qualifiers to let everyone take a shot. All pros would need to player through all the stages? Or do you give a guy like SVB a bye to a deeper event? Based on what? If you do it for him what about Johnny Archer, what about Earl? What about Adam Smith? Where is the line where you say "you need to start at the bottom"?

ATM we in pool have pure turmoil. We have various games being played on all sorts of different equipment with different rules and different equipment and it is causing all sorts of arguments and issues. You do "NOT" go into the Olympics like that. We have a huge amount of work figuring out where we want this game to be, what games need to be promoted and have a chance to become stable. The new kid on the block Chinese 8-ball just got probably the most star studded field of talent pool has ever seen in the last event. Are we going to ignore that and throw 9-ball on a Diamond into the Olympics? A game that seems to be dying as we speak, at least to the overriding popularity of 10-ball as the rotation game of choice.

If we get the Olympics to put "pool" in as a sport we need to have all of this WELL established long before it goes forward. There will be no changing the game every couple of Olympics every 8 or 12 years. What we put in there has to be the "future" of the game, and I do not think ANYONE here knows what that is atm. I am not even sure we have one. But the one sure thing is that if we throw in a game and it fails to really catch on, and it's popularity wanes in the pool world as it is replaced by something different, the Olympics will just drop pool as a failed experiment and there will not be any coming back from that in the lifetime of the youngest member here.

We are absolutely NOT ready for this at all.

Old
  (#37)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
I get what you are saying, but have to disagree with how it plays out in reality.

First, you are citing one of a few exceptions to make an point for the majority. Mika is in better than average shape, though not "perfect" shape at all. If that's perfect shape, then I'm surrounded by gods. But seriously, he's only one of a few players that are in decent shape. The majority of winning pro players are not in shape at all. Second, being in shape is not the same as being an athlete.

Being out of shape can hurt, being in shape can help, but being in shape is not a necessity to win at pool even over a long haul. Plenty of mediocre (or worse) shape players play long tournaments and survive to finish well. There are world-class players that have never been in shape their entire lives. For some, the closest they have come to working out is lifting a cue stick (or lifting a doughnut from a napkin to their mouth). Kind of like this... Great Athletes

The game is about skill/knowledge and mental stamina... And being physically capable of executing (which being in shape is certainly part of). But the kind of physical stamina needed to play pool is not the same as needed to run 10 miles. You can be in average physical shape and still rock the house over a multi-day tournament.

But I'll admit, I just made this reply so I could post that video link
Wrong.......especially the long haul. Niels, Shane are they also the exception?

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#38)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
What are we going to get them to play in the Olympics?
I think it will almost certainly be the format that has been used in the World Games several times already. I see no reason why that wouldn't work in the Summer Olympic Games.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#39)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 09:13 PM

Outside of the UK, where the snooker would get decent coverage, does anyone think the pool games would get more than 5 minutes coverage? They'd be cutting to fluff pieces about the local mountains during the pool finals.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Last edited by Colin Colenso; 02-06-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Old
  (#40)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Colenso View Post
Outside of the UK, where the snooker would get decent coverage, does anyone think the pool games would get more than 5 minutes coverage? They'd be cutting to fluff pieces about the local mountains during the pool finals.
Not sure how it is in Australia, but here the Olympic coverage is extensive. The last one on NBC was on 3 or 4 cable channels besides the NBC network. There was NBC sports, MSNBC, CNBC and I forget all who else. We got plenty of ping pong and badminton to go along with track and field and swimming.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#41)
Swighey
AzB Silver Member
Swighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond reputeSwighey has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2015, 01:05 AM

Olympic sports get coverage if there are potential medalists. BMXing and Curling are never on TV (except maybe on a sports channel at 3am for a few minutes when nobody is watching) in the UK. But when the Olympics come round all of a sudden our medal contenders are famous for another 15 minutes. The biggest single TV market (the USA) would take an interest because they will always have 3 players (assuming it is 3 entrants per nation as in many other sports) who have a chance of winning gold in any pool variant.

Old
  (#42)
Colin Colenso
<-- My Kids
Colin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond reputeColin Colenso has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2015, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
Not sure how it is in Australia, but here the Olympic coverage is extensive. The last one on NBC was on 3 or 4 cable channels besides the NBC network. There was NBC sports, MSNBC, CNBC and I forget all who else. We got plenty of ping pong and badminton to go along with track and field and swimming.
I think they had another channel available for the last Olympics, but pretty much 95% of the audience watches the one channel.

As I was a decathlete and had friends who've competed in the Olympics, I've watched a heck of a lot of coverage since my early teens. Some years there would be less than 3 minutes coverage of the decathlon and the same is true of field events in general.

It comes down to whether or not a countryman of the broadcaster is in contention. If not, then get ready to watch 3 hours of a hockey semi-final with your country having a medal chance.

The event is a rip-off for all but a few athletes who are the mega stars. The rest pretty much dedicate years toward their sport at their own expense. Olympics does not lead to the professionalization of sports. In fact, it makes bureaucratic controlling organizations more powerful in their attempts to squash entrepreneurs who might professionalize the sport.

Quote:
"The first essential step in the direction of learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - Lord Kelvin

Pool Is A Game Not a Sport
Old
  (#43)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

Pool Is A Game Not a Sport - 02-07-2015, 11:34 AM

I concur about some of the Olympics events being bizarre but let's be candid and truthful with each other on the Forum......defend as hard as you will.....argue to the bitter end.....but pool isn't a sport......stationary objects to shoot at......there's definitely skill involved but the Olympics is about athletics not gamesmanship.

Where does it stop? It's already gotten out of hand and the notion of pool or video games is just absurd. Stamina and endurance required to play marathon pool matches does not qualify the game to be in the Olympics. Just imagine 9 ball as an event where sometimes luck can play just as big as a factor as skill........pretty sad.

Pool is a game and so start an Olympics format tournament for games......chess, checkers, pool, poker, and alike but arguing that pool deserves to be in the Olympics is pretty inane to me.......and I am a dye hard pool buff......but the Olympics is just absurd.

Matt B.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#44)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
02-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Anybody know what is up with the jacket efren wore at dcc?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=389967

LOOK! EVERYTHING'S SPINNING.

Old
  (#45)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2015, 01:17 AM

The results for the 1st selection stage for Tokyo's recommendation for an Olympic sport for 2020 were released today. It was a long shot for billiards/snooker and unfortunately they didnt make the cut, but somehow bowling did...

The list:

1. Baseball/softball
2. Bowling
3. Karate
4. Roller Sports
5. Sport Climbing
6. Squash
7. Surfing
8. Martial Arts

Given the popularity of baseball in Japan, I can't imagine them choosing anything else.

Last edited by victorl; 06-22-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: