John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Each one who had or has the desire to run his first 100 balls in 14+1 knows enough to understand what it takes ...so to get there John just succeded is an amazing achievement and especially when it comes to the concentration and dedication needed. I believe now John is one of very small group of people in the whole world who experienced that special state of mind and the feeling at the end which is priceless. I'm happy for him and the least he deserves is all the respect and congratulations! This year is already amazing...with Ronny O'Sullivan making his 1000th century, amazing last US-Open with Matchroom and now this incredible record by John Schmidt. I wish the rest of the year the show goes on).

Last edited:

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
I'll give you one thing, lol.... your consistently wrong.

What about? Well, other than pretty much everything you've said about pool in general but, to the point:

People are not eager to play fast games. People are not eager to play slow games either.

You want to know what game/games people are eager to play? Well, the most popular game on earth is the "EASIEST" game.

The fast part is true but not in the way you used it.

People like 9 ball for example, not because they can walk around the table faster, shoot faster etc...etc, its because they cant do the one thing 14.1 REQUIRES and that is:

CONCENTRATE for long periods of time.

I've said it before and I'll say it here, the biggest difference between most strong rotation type player and strong 14.1 players is the ability to hold concentration for a long time.

You can think of concentration as "in gear", "the zone", "dead punch". People dont slip in and out of "stroke". People's concentration, comes and goes...

The player that can concentrate the longest, is the very player that will be the best 14.1 player and the best 9 and 10 ball player when the races get long enough to matter.

You started off on the wrong foot on AZB. No worries though, I sorta did the same and others have too.

Just slow your roll and you'll be alright.

I was told to read more and post less....lol...its good advice to most here.

Jeff

:thumbup::thumbup::eek:k::clapping:

Jeff, drop your mic, well said...!!

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats john

Now will someone start a straight pool hall of fame !players. balls .cues .famous pool Halls of straight pool. Players cues balls used chalk! Tables rubber on rails come on !A straight pool hall of fame! Pics written story's ,mosconis Rambo cue he did it with.Mizerak! Hopkins! Crain Caras Greenleaf old tapes. The cue makers that made there cues.And most of all .all the pics and stories that went with these champions.I watched the game for 34 Yrs 1966 till 2000 before it disappeared. And watched the great ones! Iam Old and dying.Thank you all for a fasanating game of skill ! And the only game! And thank my two player friends,Irving Crane,and Leo Wienburg,for getting my first cues a monark Cue by Tommy Parker and a Herman Rambow They made me want to use them and taught me how! . Again thanks Tommy Parker for making it.And thanks Irving Crain and Leo Wienburg for getting me the rambow.The Best three friends ever to have back then in that era
! God bless you all that was the game and only game. Took 60 yrs to run 626! Easy game huh! Rich Ford

Last edited:

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I'll give you one thing, lol.... your consistently wrong.

What about? Well, other than pretty much everything you've said about pool in general but, to the point:

People are not eager to play fast games. People are not eager to play slow games either.

You want to know what game/games people are eager to play? Well, the most popular game on earth is the "EASIEST" game.

The fast part is true but not in the way you used it.

People like 9 ball for example, not because they can walk around the table faster, shoot faster etc...etc, its because they cant do the one thing 14.1 REQUIRES and that is:

CONCENTRATE for long periods of time.

I've said it before and I'll say it here, the biggest difference between most strong rotation type player and strong 14.1 players is the ability to hold concentration for a long time.

You can think of concentration as "in gear", "the zone", "dead punch". People dont slip in and out of "stroke". People's concentration, comes and goes...

The player that can concentrate the longest, is the very player that will be the best 14.1 player and the best 9 and 10 ball player when the races get long enough to matter.

You started off on the wrong foot on AZB. No worries though, I sorta did the same and others have too.

Just slow your roll and you'll be alright.

I was told to read more and post less....lol...its good advice to most here.

Jeff

I think it's pretty accurate to say that most people play pool to have fun, and not make a 2nd job out of it. You're probably right that they don't want to approach it like a chess grandmaster. They are trying to forget about everything stressful in life, and enjoy a fun pastime. If they are putting anything on the game, it's a few dollars. 8 ball. & 9 ball appeal to these people.

I am well aware that some folks do treat pool like a job, and they take it very seriously. They sometimes have some serious bacon on the line too. But there aren't enough of those people to support a thriving billiards industry. The billiards industry Needs the average Joes to keep pool alive. There is $$$ in volume, and there is a lot more volume at the lower end of the scale.

What's really great for the industry, is when the average Joe decides he needs better cues, and a table at home, and he joins a league, etc. Then he encourages friends and family to get involved. But if a bunch of old timers thumb their noses at him, he may just play golf or start fishing instead of playing pool. The old timers keep their little click going, and the hobby shrinks more day by day.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Do your history, kid. I'm not your damn teacher, you can teach yourself all that.

From what I am reading, you are looking like you're on the wrong side of things, that's for damn sure.

Enjoy the bashing folks here are going to do to you. I will just sit back and see you make a fool out of yourself.

By the way, stop making post on your dumb questions. If you look up on your tab, there's this special button called the "Search" button. Don't be a lazy ass and answer your questions there.

What a great ambassador for the hobby you are....

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
I think it's pretty accurate to say that most people play pool to have fun, and not make a 2nd job out of it. You're probably right that they don't want to approach it like a chess grandmaster. They are trying to forget about everything stressful in life, and enjoy a fun pastime. If they are putting anything on the game, it's a few dollars. 8 ball. & 9 ball appeal to these people.

Stop specializing. A fan of billiards would enjoy every game and aspect of it. You're just an amateur who believes that 8-ball and 9-ball is the centralization of pool. IT IS NOT. Get over it, fast!

I am well aware that some folks do treat pool like a job, and they take it very seriously. They sometimes have some serious bacon on the line too. But there aren't enough of those people to support a thriving billiards industry. The billiards industry Needs the average Joes to keep pool alive. There is $$$ in volume, and there is a lot more volume at the lower end of the scale.

I want you to go in front of a pro pool player and personally say that in their faces. I will guarantee you that she or he will see you as a joke.

What's really great for the industry, is when the average Joe decides he needs better cues, and a table at home, and he joins a league, etc. Then he encourages friends and family to get involved. But if a bunch of old timers thumb their noses at him, he may just play golf or start fishing instead of playing pool. The old timers keep their little click going, and the hobby shrinks more day by day.

You just contradicted yourself...
"Old Timers?" How old are you talking about? The bar table era or when 14.1 was the biggest thing to ever happen? You know that bar tables destroyed 14.1, right? If you had any thought about doing your research, you would realize that 9-ball and 8-ball were the game of hustlers... even One-Pocket.

Last thing before I go: I am not a damn ambassador of pool. What I am is a troll that eats dumb trolls and lets the logical ones post in peace. If you're going to post something and go up against someone who's been involved in all forms of billiards for 2 decades, you better come prepared. Otherwise, adjust the way you approach things, buddy. Stop talking crap about 14.1 and give John Schmidt his appreciation for accomplishing something you can't even have the patience or the mental capacity to even attempt.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
BIG Props to John Schmidt

The man set a goal for himself and went after it. When many others would have given up the chase long ago, he perservered. I'm sure there was a lot of frustration and disappointment along the way as well. Yet he didn't quit and ultimately achieved his goal.

Plain and simple, John Schmidt has set a new record for high runs in Straight Pool! Future record breakers will be chasing him and not Mosconi! John's name MUST be at the top of any list that includes Straight Pool records.

As an added bonus I believe John made himself into a better 14.1 player along the way. He learned something about himself and how to play the game. He is my pick from here on in any Straight Pool tourney he enters.

Job well done sir!

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
The man set a goal for himself and went after it. When many others would have given up the chase long ago, he perservered. I'm sure there was a lot of frustration and disappointment along the way as well. Yet he didn't quit and ultimately achieved his goal.

Plain and simple, John Schmidt has set a new record for high runs in Straight Pool! Future record breakers will be chasing him and not Mosconi! John's name MUST be at the top of any list that includes Straight Pool records.

As an added bonus I believe John made himself into a better 14.1 player along the way. He learned something about himself and how to play the game. He is my pick from here on in any Straight Pool tourney he enters.

Job well done sir!

Love you, Helfert! (no homo)

Thorsten, kiddingly, posted on FB that he'll kick his ass. As I'll agree with you, I think Schmidt will make him think twice. :D

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...Mosconi had an affidavit signed by dozens of eye witnesses.

It was the standard of the day before everyone had a video camera in their pocket. And we don’t need to “suspect” anything. There either will or there won’t.

Lou Figueroa
Here's a local news broadcast about the feat (also posted by speedy5963 above) - in it they say the video and witness statements are being submitted to the BCA for certification of the new record. It also has a nice interview with John.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member

Job well done sir!

People will still be mentioning his name long after he is dead and gone. He is now the Roger Maris of Straight Pool. He deserves all the attention he will get. He climbed the Mount Everest of billiards.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW, John spent a lot of time and energy attempting this feat. He deserves the CONGRATS from all of us. How many of us have spent their life attempting to do the impossible? Not too many. This feat is simply for the ages. Let's not demean his accomplishment and enjoy it with him. He's a pool player like the rest of us and we all know how hard he worked for this moment.

YOU THE MAN JOHN

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is fantastic news!!!!! Congrats to John and for ushering in a new era of greats. Not only beat it but beat it by 100 balls? This is going to stand for a very very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
I'm guessing nearly 200 responses in less than 24 hours has to be some kind of record for this forum, which speaks to the magnitude of this record achievement!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His video post from last night was very telling. He said he figured out something about his game. And was very satisfied with the 370 run last nigh stating basically that he played great straight pool in that run and didn’t have one bad leave, and he didn’t have to come with crazy shot to continue his run that he could recall He also switched to racking on the head spot instead of the foot spot because it was newer cloth up there. Balls were cutting cleaner, so he went that route as of last night.

Let the haters and excuse mobile stay silent. Please.
Scary that for someone whose played as much as he has going after this record as hard as he has in the past 6 months, that he stated he's just figured out something in his game, and within 24 hours of that statement he runs 626! I would be curious what that one discovery was?