Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS (that all pool players should know)
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-22-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td873 View Post
I got the trick shot to work. For the life of me I couldn’t get it to work on my table. I could get the one ball to bank in over and over. But not go straight in. But when I watched my own video, I figured out a little trick!

https://youtu.be/ecrgoLRuzWc

-td

[edit: my table is a GC1 redone with diamond pocket specs with 4.5” pockets. I shot all the shots from the same spot, just below the rack on the center line of the table. At first, I couldn’t get the one ball to move far enough towards the pocket. But, I changed one small thing and the one ball goes just a bout every time. and the trick is something already present in the proposition shot video ]
Thank you for posting. FYI, I added your video link to the YouTube video description along with the others.

I notice the CB is hopping off the cushion a little to help clear the double kiss.

Did you need to add chalk to CB-1-ball contact point or spit to the 1-2-ball contact point to get the shot to go? Is that the "little trick?" If not, please let us know what you did.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#47)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

11-22-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Thank you for posting. FYI, I added your video link to the YouTube video description along with the others.

I notice the CB is hopping off the cushion a little to help clear the double kiss.

Did you need to add chalk to CB-1-ball contact point or spit to the 1-2-ball contact point to get the shot to go? Is that the "little trick?" If not, please let us know what you did.

Thanks,
Dave
You got it! I added a little spit! I was able to make it once or twice without the spit, but they were not repeatable. With the help, I could make the one ball more times than not.

I did also notice the cue ball hop, but I couldn’t really tell if was necessary or if the shot would go without it. The balls are moving pretty fast. I watched the videos a number of times and couldn’t verify. I saw a lot of residual ball location in the frames. If I have time today, I’ll try to get a closer camera angle in slow mo to see if it is necessary.

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#48)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

11-22-2019, 10:50 AM

I shot the trick shot numerous times in slow motion, with different perspectives. I am pretty confident that the hop is not necessary. Using the right speed, the one ball is well past the cue ball after rebound. The speed of the shot is crucial to ensure that the one ball rebounds quickly enough, and the cue ball also reacts with the right "tempo" for the shot.

I shot all of these without any spit/lubrication, and I was actually able to make the shot (once) like this. And, I made the one ball many times. So, upon rethinking and shooting this repeatedly, I now believe that the shot can be made using the right technique and nothing more.

Here is a slow-motion compilation showing that the hopping cue ball probably isn't necessary, but is a side effect of the top english on the shot.

https://youtu.be/PSvdk1Ok_fA

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Last edited by td873; 11-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Old
  (#49)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td873 View Post
I shot the trick shot numerous times in slow motion, with different perspectives. I am pretty confident that the hop is not necessary. Using the right speed, the one ball is well past the cue ball after rebound. The speed of the shot is crucial to ensure that the one ball rebounds quickly enough, and the cue ball also reacts with the right "tempo" for the shot.

I shot all of these without any spit/lubrication, and I was actually able to make the shot (once) like this. And, I made the one ball many times. So, upon rethinking and shooting this repeatedly, I now believe that the shot can be made using the right technique and nothing more.

Here is a slow-motion compilation showing that the hopping cue ball probably isn't necessary, but is a side effect of the top english on the shot.

https://youtu.be/PSvdk1Ok_fA

-td
Excellent work, and good explanations. Thanks for doing this.

FYI, I added this link to the YouTube video description also.

Now get to work on the Frozen-Ball Challenge.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#50)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-22-2019, 01:11 PM

IMHO these really aren't proposition shots, since most of them involve something shady.

IMHO proposition shots were what Vernon used to shoot.

Old
  (#51)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u12armresl View Post
IMHO these really aren't proposition shots, since most of them involve something shady.

IMHO proposition shots were what Vernon used to shoot.
Many classic pool "proposition" shots are "shady."

In this video, only shots 1, 2, 4, and some of 9 are "shady." Most the shots (3, 5, 6, 7, 8 per the frozen-ball-challenge legal versions, some of 9, 10) are legitimate with no "shady" business ... just creativity and smarts.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by dr_dave; 11-22-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Old
  (#52)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Red Lobster??? Seriously?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#53)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Red Lobster??? Seriously?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Red Lobster and Olive Garden were part of the joke. I actually like Chipotle though.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#54)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Red Lobster and Olive Garden were part of the joke. I actually like Chipotle though.

Regards,

Dave
Oh...that's a relief.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#55)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Oh...that's a relief. ...
You might not suspect it to look at him but Dave cooks an awesome jambalaya. Something to do with his Nouvelle-Orléans heritage.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: