Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Top 10 Secrets of a Good Draw Shot
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-06-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
Another good video, Dave.
Thanks Brian.

Quote:
I always favored this little draw challenge:

Place a ball on the foot spot and place the cb about 8 inches away, lined up to shoot the ball straight into one of the nearest corner pockets. Draw the cb back about 6 to 8 inches and leave the cb where it stops, then spot another ball and shoot it the same way, drawing the cb back and shooting the next shot again from wherever the cb ends up. See how many shots you can make before getting so far out of line that the cb ends up hitting a rail.

This helps with develop a consistent short draw, but also helps develop aiming accuracy.
That is a good one.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#17)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
I have a lot more videos like this planned for the near future. Does anybody have any suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved?

Should I try to keep the videos shorter, or is this length OK?

Should I include lots of game situation examples, or is sticking to the important principles (without game examples) OK?

Are there any topics you really want to see covered in detail?

Do you have any other advice or recommendations?
Anybody else have any useful input or advice, based on this most-recent video?

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#18)
buckshotshoey
AzB Silver Member
buckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-06-2019, 05:36 PM

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved? - I think the presentation style is terrific. It kept me engaged and focused.

Is the length OK? - The length was perfect. It was like a woman's skirt - short enough to be interesting, long enough to cover the subject.

Include game situation examples or no? - Definitely include game situation examples and in a way that the underlying concepts can be recognized in similar situations too.

Are there any topics that should be covered in detail? - I think you covered everything well. I didn't know about lining up the stripes trick to see if is a 1/2-ball in section 2 - that was cool.

Do you have any other advice or recommendations? - Maybe post on here before your next video, reveal the subject and ask for any tips. You'll probably already have most or all of the material already set, but there may be information or ideas in the responses that you'll want to include in the video. Maybe not, too. :-)

For example, I remember a tip from another video regarding the draw shot (Ray Martin maybe?) where he suggests picturing the CB about 6" in front of where it actually is and pretend to stroke towards that CB. It can help with the follow through and to ensure you accelerate the cue through the CB. Whether you would include that or not would of course be your call, but it might reveal some things that weren't originally considered.

Overall, I think your work is terrific. It has helped me tremendously and I'm very grateful. Thank you.
For some reason, as I read this, I envisioned Dr Dave playing pool in a skirt! What do you say Dave? Might increase your video views! Lol.

Playing cue...OB17EMW OB1+ shaft.Everest tip
Playing cue...Predator Icon 1-1 ... 314-2 shaft
Morri hard tip
Playing cue...Viking Millennium (VM25)
Everest tip
Jump/break...Players S-PJB5

"Second place is just another way of saying FIRST PLACE LOSER"

Last edited by buckshotshoey; 12-06-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Old
  (#19)
buckshotshoey
AzB Silver Member
buckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond reputebuckshotshoey has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 05:52 PM

In all seriousness though, in #6, you say to increase your bridge length to get cue lower. It has another advantage...at least for me. It increases your sight radius. I seem to be more accurate with a longer bridge and gripping to the back of the cue. Downside is a longer bridge also exacerbates a poor stroke and therefore cue tip delivery.

Playing cue...OB17EMW OB1+ shaft.Everest tip
Playing cue...Predator Icon 1-1 ... 314-2 shaft
Morri hard tip
Playing cue...Viking Millennium (VM25)
Everest tip
Jump/break...Players S-PJB5

"Second place is just another way of saying FIRST PLACE LOSER"

Old
  (#20)
Stretch
AzB Silver Member
Stretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond reputeStretch has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Anybody else have any useful input or advice, based on this most-recent video?

Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave, very good Vid and will help a lot of people! Some advice i usually give to players that are not getting the most out of their draw stroke is to visualize the object ball just beyond where the ball actually is. If you do this you will immediately see what i mean. St.

Old
  (#21)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

12-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
The length was perfect. It was like a woman's skirt - short enough to be interesting, long enough to cover the subject.
For some reason, as I read this, I envisioned Dr Dave playing pool in a skirt! What do you say Dave? Might increase your video views! Lol.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I think I pass. I donít want to have to shave my hairy legs.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#22)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

12-06-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
In all seriousness though, in #6, you say to increase your bridge length to get cue lower. It has another advantage...at least for me. It increases your sight radius. I seem to be more accurate with a longer bridge and gripping to the back of the cue. Downside is a longer bridge also exacerbates a poor stroke and therefore cue tip delivery.
Good points. I should have mentioned this in the video.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#23)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

12-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Hi Dave, very good Vid and will help a lot of people! Some advice i usually give to players that are not getting the most out of their draw stroke is to visualize the object ball just beyond where the ball actually is. If you do this you will immediately see what i mean. St.
Makes sense. As does visualizing the CB beyond where it actually is.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#24)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Another good video, Dave.

I always favored this little draw challenge:

Place a ball on the foot spot and place the cb about 8 inches away, lined up to shoot the ball straight into one of the nearest corner pockets. Draw the cb back about 6 to 8 inches and leave the cb where it stops, then spot another ball and shoot it the same way, drawing the cb back and shooting the next shot again from wherever the cb ends up. See how many shots you can make before getting so far out of line that the cb ends up hitting a rail.

This helps with develop a consistent short draw, but also helps develop aiming accuracy.
Another version of this drill is to spot the OB on the table's center spot (between the side pockets) and shoot it straight into a side pocket. It's surprising how quickly you can get too far out of line.

Version 3 (C?) is to allow follow shots...

pj
chgo

Old
  (#25)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2019, 07:52 AM

This may be covered in the video - it's something I've recently realized about my own draw stroke:

If you find yourself miscuing more than you'd expect on hard draw shots, try moving your grip hand a little farther back to keep the tip from dipping too quickly. If the tip is moving downward rather than level, not only are you hitting lower on the CB, but the miscue limit is also actually higher on the CB.

Think of using a striped ball as the CB with the stripe horizontal - the miscue limit for draw (our target contact point for maximum draw) is the bottom edge of the stripe. Since our sticks are always elevated at least a little (so the butt clears the rail), the stripe must be tilted a little to be parallel with the direction the tip is moving so the edge of the stripe isn't below the miscue limit.

The tip's downward movement as it dips at the end of a stroke has the same effect - if the tip dips too early because the grip is a little too far forward, more miscues can result.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#26)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member
Shuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Makes sense. As does visualizing the CB beyond where it actually is.

Thanks,
Dave
I donít disagree, but why do you think visualizing the CB beyond itís actual position is beneficial?

Old
  (#27)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

12-07-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuddy View Post
I donít disagree, but why do you think visualizing the CB beyond itís actual position is beneficial?
Stroke through the ball.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#28)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

12-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Maybe for the reason I described in the post just above yours (grip position)...?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#29)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

12-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
This may be covered in the video - it's something I've recently realized about my own draw stroke:

If you find yourself miscuing more than you'd expect on hard draw shots, try moving your grip hand a little farther back to keep the tip from dipping too quickly. If the tip is moving downward rather than level, not only are you hitting lower on the CB, but the miscue limit is also actually higher on the CB.
I think this is more related to cue elevation (as covered in the video), rather than any tip dipping, as described and illustrated in the video and on the draw cue-elevation-effects resource page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
...if the tip dips too early because the grip is a little too far forward, more miscues can result.
I agree that this can be a factor; although, if one has the tip close during their "set" position, this is not much of an issue. Also, even with a typical pendulum stroke, the cue tip's path is surprisingly straight over a much larger distance than one might think, per TP B.18 Ė Pendulum Stroke Cue Tip Trajectory.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#30)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

12-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Some advice i usually give to players that are not getting the most out of their draw stroke is to visualize the object ball just beyond where the ball actually is.
As does visualizing the CB beyond where it actually is.
Stroke through the ball.
Agreed. Visulizing the CB ahead of its actual position encourages some people to accelerate into the ball and finish their stroke better.

Regards,
Dave

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: