Question about Predator shaft warranty

el_h3fe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I havent ever had to send anything to predator for repair or replacement but had a question that i am sure someone here can answer... i have a z2 shaft that someone on my team mistook for his break cue and basically destroyed the shaft. (will post pics shortly). it broke at the bottom of the shaft and cannot be repaired, only replaced.

my question is if anyone knows whether or not this would be covered by predators warranty or if im out a shaft that was very new. i dont want to lie and make up something that might give me a better chance of them sending a new one, but there again it will really suck if they cant do anything about it too.

anyway... anyone know what would happen or had a similar experience and if so, what was the outcome? thanks alot. (again ill post pics in a few mins)

jtarewicz15

Registered
I cracked a z2 shaft about a year ago, it had 3 cracks originating from the ferrule about 12" down the shaft. It was completely unplayable or fixable. Go to their website and print the repair/return form and ship it to them, link below. If I recall when I talked to customer service they told me to make sure I had registered the serial number on the website first cause you probably don't have the original receipt of purchase. In short, I had a brand new z2 in my hands 5 business days later via Seyberts (I believe their warranty replacements run through them). Good luck

http://www.predatorcues.com/customer-service/

el_h3fe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thought i posted these and totally forgot that i didnt. based on what u see here does anyone think they will give me issues? this is the result after a teammate broke with it on accident.

Attachments

• 20150309_123120.jpg
    20150309_123120.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 20150309_123043.jpg
    20150309_123043.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 644

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Predator say to not break with the shaft? If the dont mention that, its fair game for a replacement under warranty I would think.

el_h3fe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please note that this warranty doea not cover problems from warping or abuse.
Terms And Conditions. Predator warrants solely to the original purchaser of the product, for as long as he/she may own it, that it shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use. This Limited Lifetime Warranty is non-transferrable and does not apply to asserted defects resulting from: (a) normal wear and tear; (b) modification, misuse, abuse or improper maintenance; and/or (c) damage associated with exposure to extreme temperature or humidity.
This Limited Lifetime Warranty applies only to those products purchased from authorized dealers of Predator. Predator shafts designed for Uni-Loc® and Radial® joints are only warranted when coupled with Original Uni-Loc® and Radial® joints.

Limitation On Obligations. The obligations of Predator hereunder are limited to repair or replacement of any product found to be defective under this Limited Lifetime Warranty. In no event shall Predator be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages, of any nature, or kind or for damages to or loss of property. This Limited Lifetime Warranty is the sole warranty for Predator cues and shafts and is given in lieu of all other warranties, express or implied, including any implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for purpose.

i dont see anything that fallsbunder breaking. i dont think its abuse... its part of every game of pool and the shaft basically disnt hold up when someone took a power shot lol.

el_h3fe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please note that this warranty doea not cover problems from warping or abuse.
Terms And Conditions. Predator warrants solely to the original purchaser of the product, for as long as he/she may own it, that it shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use. This Limited Lifetime Warranty is non-transferrable and does not apply to asserted defects resulting from: (a) normal wear and tear; (b) modification, misuse, abuse or improper maintenance; and/or (c) damage associated with exposure to extreme temperature or humidity.
This Limited Lifetime Warranty applies only to those products purchased from authorized dealers of Predator. Predator shafts designed for Uni-Loc® and Radial® joints are only warranted when coupled with Original Uni-Loc® and Radial® joints.

Limitation On Obligations. The obligations of Predator hereunder are limited to repair or replacement of any product found to be defective under this Limited Lifetime Warranty. In no event shall Predator be liable for any indirect, incidental or consequential damages, of any nature, or kind or for damages to or loss of property. This Limited Lifetime Warranty is the sole warranty for Predator cues and shafts and is given in lieu of all other warranties, express or implied, including any implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for purpose.

i dont see anything that fallsbunder breaking. i dont think its abuse... its part of every game of pool and the shaft basically disnt hold up when someone took a power shot lol.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the guy Tom Cruise broke (where he bends the shaft into the table), I might consider that abuse. Any normal break is an accepted part of the game and the shaft should not do this.

I break with my pre-cat 314 quite a lot, and have never had an issue. Although, that could be because I have a sh*tty break.

Gideon

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cues

I don't want to say this to upset anyone but it looks more like it was side pressure......

I would send the picture to predator and see what they say, but don't bank on them replacing the shaft under warranty ........................................

Pretty much any breakage at the joint is normally considered Side ward force is what made the cue break.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to say this to upset anyone but it looks more like it was side pressure......

I would send the picture to predator and see what they say, but don't bank on them replacing the shaft under warranty ........................................

Pretty much any breakage at the joint is normally considered Side ward force is what made the cue break.

That's what it looks like to me. Either someone was angry or someone was trying to break like Mike Sigel.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard bad things about the Predator warranty claims, I know personally one guy who had issues with his coming apart and they said it must have gotten wet and did not help him.

This looks like it was not just broken with but leaned on as others have said. I would say there is at least 50% chance this will go under their abuse clause.

Ask the guy that broke with it to pay for it, or at least try to get half of it from him if they deny the warranty. He/You can find a used shaft pretty easily if needed.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings........but

just why the hell would anyone construct a cue shaft like that?????

Kim

el_h3fe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what do you mean side pressure? like someone has the type of break that bends the shaft like a pretzel into the table? i know for a fact he didnt get angry and smash the shaft on something and i know that break does cause the tip to make contact with the green but nothing severe. i mean it is what it is... its worth a shot. i juat didnt want to waste time and more money trying to send to them if it wasnt going to be replaced. also, i was just wondering if anyone had experience with breakage in the same area and if it was replaced by them under warranty.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The only way you will know for sure is to contact Predator customer service. Send them the pictures you posted here.

I cracked a z2 shaft about a year ago, it had 3 cracks originating from the ferrule about 12" down the shaft. It was completely unplayable or fixable. Go to their website and print the repair/return form and ship it to them, link below. If I recall when I talked to customer service they told me to make sure I had registered the serial number on the website first cause you probably don't have the original receipt of purchase. In short, I had a brand new z2 in my hands 5 business days later via Seyberts (I believe their warranty replacements run through them). Good luck

http://www.predatorcues.com/customer-service/

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not ethical nor should you have to "lie" about what happened. I'd send it to Predator to see if they will address it, and before doing so, I'd let the person who borrowed my cue that if it's not covered under warranty that they will be gifting me a new shaft. If they won't do that then you need a new player on your team.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
what do you mean side pressure? like someone has the type of break that bends the shaft like a pretzel into the table? i know for a fact he didnt get angry and smash the shaft on something and i know that break does cause the tip to make contact with the green but nothing severe. i mean it is what it is... its worth a shot. i juat didnt want to waste time and more money trying to send to them if it wasnt going to be replaced. also, i was just wondering if anyone had experience with breakage in the same area and if it was replaced by them under warranty.

I wasn't trying to question you on how the shaft got broken, its none of my business,
an honestly I don't care.

I repair cues and have had one LD shaft of my own fall apart with in being 6 month old.
I have had 5 or six customers that I have had to tell them that their laminated ld shaft is junk because of delamination and/or the tenon breaking off.

My way of thinking may be off but hi performance laminated LD shafts seem to be designed and made where the end mass of the shaft is made a lite as possible.
Pretty much common knowledge to most pool players and cue repairmen.

I think where the misunderstanding is these shafts have all the problems of a solid maple as in warping and cracking plus the problems of being made to extremely thin tenons and are hollow with thin walls.
The end of the shaft is more like a thin walled tube of wood glued together and some or most of the laminated shaft makers didn't use the best possible woods available nor the best possible glues.
Just like solid maple shafts not all laminated shaft makers are the same some laminated LD shaft makers do make a laminated LD shaft that will hold up and give good or great LD performance.

But there are the pool players who abuse or allow someone else to abuse the laminated LD shaft.
My best guess is most of us shoot to hard..................
Most pros are not nailing the OB into the pockets, they seem to normally shoot softer then the average bar room banger.

Bottom line is Allot of the laminated shafts do not hold up for several reasons, and one of them could be the climate they live in and how hot or cold they let there cue get..
How hard you shoot, do you actually abuse your cue, do you let others use your cue and do they abuse it.
And did some dick head screw with your cue when you were not looking....

One of our members who is a cue maker said who would design a cue like that,
pretty much meaning that he thought the construction of your cue had some weaknesses in it.................................................

Over the years I have learned that some of these shafts seem to have allot of problem just as you are having.

So the best answer where its not going to cost you any money out of pocket is e mail predator cues pictures of your broken shaft and see what they say..

The members opinions who have replied to your thread is meaning less,
The only persons opinion that counts is the guy at predator cues who says your shaft will or will not be replaced under warranty..

My personal opinion is it looks like sideward pressure broke the shaft................
Also my Personal knowledge is any time a joint is broken on a shaft 99% of the time it is said that sideward pressure broke it......
But who in the heck really knows because of the way the shaft was designed with that big glob of glue around the threaded insert, I am surprised the shaft could take any kind of force applied to it regardless of what direction the force was coming from...

Everything that has been said in this thread has been said hundreds of times in this forum and personally I think allot of time these pictures of broken LD shaft are only posted because the owner already knows his chance for getting the hi dollar laminated ld shaft replaced under warranty is slim and this is there only way to vent their frustrations that a 250.00 dollar shaft isn't even good for fire wood.

Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I havent ever had to send anything to predator for repair or replacement but had a question that i am sure someone here can answer... i have a z2 shaft that someone on my team mistook for his break cue and basically destroyed the shaft. (will post pics shortly). it broke at the bottom of the shaft and cannot be repaired, only replaced.

my question is if anyone knows whether or not this would be covered by predators warranty or if im out a shaft that was very new. i dont want to lie and make up something that might give me a better chance of them sending a new one, but there again it will really suck if they cant do anything about it too.

anyway... anyone know what would happen or had a similar experience and if so, what was the outcome? thanks alot. (again ill post pics in a few mins)

It seems to me the guy who picked up the cue and broke with it should be buying you a new shaft. Since he mistook it for his break cue, he must have done so without your permission. Although not intentional, none the less his fault. You should not even have to ask. Good luck

el_h3fe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no but several people did and said when he broke, it looked like the shaft literally dropped onto the table as he went to lift the cue up off the table after striking the cue ball. the joint was still attached to the butt and the shaft just plopped down onto the table.

i am going to call predator tomorrow and see what they say. i mean regardless of what kind of pressure people say it appears to be or how bad of a person he is for breaking with it, what it boils down to is the fact that he grabbed it by accident, didnt apply side pressure or smack it off something on purpose or on accident and doesnt drastically bend the shaft into the table when he breaks. i dont understand how its so unbelievable that this could have happened from a straight break. its a z shaft... its not meant for breaking so im sure there are alot of different ways to destroy one when breaking with it.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
preador warranty policies

WARRANTY INFORMATION

As the manufacturer of the highest quality billiards products on the market today, Predator Products (Predator) is committed to the performance and durability of its products. To protect your investment, Predator offers a Limited Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defects. If you ever experience a problem that you believe is covered under warranty, please return your product to us and/or email us at Customer Service. Please note that this warranty does not cover problems resulting from warping or abuse.

Sole Warranty. This Limited Lifetime Warranty, as set forth herein, constitutes the entire warranty and representation of Predator with regard to its cues and shafts. This Limited Lifetime Warranty shall be controlling over any conflicting terms and conditions of any purchase orders, contracts or invoices that may be executed in connection with the purchase of the product. No representation or warranty made by any Predator employee, dealer or agent shall be binding upon Predator other than as set forth herein.

Claim Procedures. Claims for warranty performance and service shall be made by sending the product, with shipping and insurance prepaid by the purchaser, to Predator Group, Warranty & Repairs, 702 East Chicago Road, Coldwater, MI 49036 together with (a) evidence of original purchase and (b) a completed “Repair/Return Form.” International customers should ship products to the place of purchase or directly to Predator at the above address.

Upon receipt, Predator will review the description of the asserted defect, examine the product and make repairs and replacements as appropriate under this Limited Lifetime Warranty. Upon completion of the service, Predator shall return the product to the original purchaser, with shipping and insurance prepaid by Predator. If it is determined that the asserted defect is not covered under the Limited Lifetime Warranty, the original purchaser will be contacted and offered a repair service if applicable, or the product will be returned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CARE INSTRUCTIONS

WARPAGE – FINISH. Wood will soak up moisture in wet climates and release moisture in dry climates. To prevent warpage or finish problems, store your cue in an environment that has a stable and consistent temperature with a humidity level of 40 to 45 percent.

ABUSE. Cues made of wood are not designed to withstand lateral pressure and should not be leaned or propped up against a wall, dropped on the floor, bent excessively while playing, or hit on a table. We recommend protecting your cue with a case.

TIP DIAMETER. We do not recommend turning your shaft down. You can choose to turn your shaft, but any 3142 shaft turned below 12.25 mm, any Z2 shaft turned below 11.40 mm, and any Fat shaft turned below 12.70 mm will result in an automatic void of your warranty.

PHENOLIC TIP REPLACEMENT. If you want to replace your phenolic tip on you BK2/Bk3 break cue or your Air/Air2 jump cue, do not remove the black carbon fiber tip plate located under the brown phenolic tip as this will reduce the strength of your shaft and void the warranty. Leave .020″ of the brown phenolic before gluing on the replacement tip.

SHAFT MAINTENANCE. To clean your Predator shaft, use a towel slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol. After cleaning, use a leather burnisher or similar material to seal the shaft. Using a Carnuba wax may also help to seal the shaft and protect it from moisture. To avoid damage, do not sand the shaft; no abrasive is necessary. Do not expose the shaft to excessive moisture and do not steam it to remove dings. Importantly, do not use any water-based cleaner.

THE ORIGINAL UNI-LOC® JOINT. We recommend cleaning the Original Uni-Loc® Quick Release joint when you first receive your cue and every six months thereafter. These joints are precision manufactured to exact tolerances and even a modest amount of dirt can create a problem. You can use a Q-Tip dipped in Isopropyl alcohol to clean the inside threads and bore of the shaft insert. Clean the joint pin and threads with alcohol and a clean rag. We recommend the use of joint protectors to help keep your joint clean and to protect it from damage.

FERRULE. Much of the shaft’s performance can be attributed to our ferrule design and composition. Due to the performance enhancing material used for the ferrule, scratches may appear with normal use. In this case, we recommend sending your shaft to an authorized Predator repair center for a clean up. Removing or changing the ferrule will void the warranty.

TIP. The Everest® tip comes standard on all Predator shafts. If a tip replacement is needed, we recommend a medium-hard tip. For best results, we recommend that you send it to an authorized Predator repair center for installation of a new tip.

WRAP CLEANING. For leather and Uni-Loc® Leather Luxeô wraps, barely dampen a towel with water, wipe the wrap, and dry it immediately. Use Isopropyl alcohol for Irish Linen wraps.

PARTIAL SHAFTS. If the official Predator logo is not on your partial shaft, the Limited Lifetime Warranty is void.

PREDATOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. If you have any questions or need any maintenance work done on your Predator product, please contact customer service via this web site or via email at customerservice@predatorgroup.com