Discovered the Value of Pocket Reducers

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I've advised previously on these forums to never make changes to your stance, stroke, aim, or grip based solely on your play on a bar table.

The reason for this is that I noticed that when I did this in the past, that when I carried the changes over to a tight-pocketed 9-foot table, that the changes just didn't hold up, and I wouldn't be able to consistently pocket the difficult long shots (with not much angle) on the bigger table with tight pockets.

So recently, in an effort to improve my game, I purchased some pocket reducers on Amazon. My table is already shimmed down to 4 1/2 inch corner pockets, so with the reducers the pockets are now 3 1/4 inches.

Setting up long straight in shots, corner to corner, I realized that with my current mechanics, I just wasn't making these straight in shots consistently enough. This lead me to modify mainly my grip and aim.

The good thing about shooting into really tight pockets is that you don't have to guess if you've improved. The feedback is immediate. Either the balls go in, or they don't.

If you are an "advanced" player and your game feels stagnant and you just aren't seeing any improvement, give this a try. When you first start out, you might be surprised at how many long, close to straight-in shots that you miss and how making adjustments to your stance, stroke, aim, or grip can end-up yielding drastically better results!

If anyone else has tried this out, I would be interested in hearing about it.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was first introduced to those god forsaken
things in the late 90s. I played mostly on big
pocket gold crowns. They usually led me to
profane language and sadness.

I have tried them more recently on a pro cut
diamond table.

My conclusion is this: they are great for the
exact drill you are talking about and not much
else. I practiced the drill you are speaking of
as a variation of tor lowrys stroke practice drill.
Started with 2000 shots cueball only. Then added
an object ball and progressively backed up
the cueball until I could make it from the opposite
corner pocket. It really squared up and stabilized
my stance and step in to the shot.

As for practicing other drills or playing games
with them on, pointless. Kills your confidence,
changes the game to much because you have
to adjust speed and angles just to make the ball.
Balls dont go past other balls near the pocket. Etc.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I was first introduced to those god forsaken
things in the late 90s. I played mostly on big
pocket gold crowns. They usually led me to
profane language and sadness.

I have tried them more recently on a pro cut
diamond table.

My conclusion is this: they are great for the
exact drill you are talking about and not much
else. I practiced the drill you are speaking of
as a variation of tor lowrys stroke practice drill.
Started with 2000 shots cueball only. Then added
an object ball and progressively backed up
the cueball until I could make it from the opposite
corner pocket. It really squared up and stabilized
my stance and step in to the shot.

As for practicing other drills or playing games
with them on, pointless. Kills your confidence,
changes the game to much because you have
to adjust speed and angles just to make the ball.
Balls dont go past other balls near the pocket. Etc.
Oh, I definitely agree with you about trying to play games with them on. Although I do play Chinese 8-ball rules with them on occasionally, and I find that they appear to simulate the Chinese 8-ball conditions quite well actually.

EDIT: I have to add -- when I read that you called them god-forsaken things, I literally laughed out loud! :grin:

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I definitely agree with you about trying to play games with them on. Although I do play Chinese 8-ball rules with them on occasionally, and I find that they appear to simulate the Chinese 8-ball conditions quite well actually.

I like that idea. I have been fascinated by the way those
guys have to play different patterns to break out balls
stuck on the rail that would go on regular pool table.
I've even tried playing it a few times at Giffs in vegas.

I have decided I hate myself but not enough to try
and get good at that crazy game:)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Another way to get precision pocketing practice is to aim for the pocket facings instead of middle pocket some of the time, maybe alternating different parts of the pocket. It can be done on any table during any kind of practice or game, and gives instant visible feedback like reducers, but by actually cheating the pockets as you would in action. I try to do it whenever I practice.

pj
chgo

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Another way to get precision pocketing practice is to aim for the pocket facings instead of middle pocket some of the time, maybe alternating different parts of the pocket. It can be done on any table during any kind of practice or game, and gives instant visible feedback like reducers, but by actually cheating the pockets as you would in action. I try to do it whenever I practice.

pj
chgo
Yeah, I always tried in the past to pay attention to exactly where in the pocket the balls are going in. But if you make the ball, it's hard to be as critical on yourself with respect to your aim, than if the small error in the path of the ball actually causes a miss. But I definitely see value to doing what you suggest too.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a set of those torture devices and found shooting balls in from the middle of the table about the only thing I had use for with em.

I really only like to play games though...I haven't taken my reducers out of the packaging I close to a decade.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheap pocket reducers - put two other object balls in front of the pocket. You can vary the width to any size you want to mimic.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah, I always tried in the past to pay attention to exactly where in the pocket the balls are going in. But if you make the ball, it's hard to be as critical on yourself with respect to your aim, than if the small error in the path of the ball actually causes a miss. But I definitely see value to doing what you suggest too.
Yes, I think both ways have their points :))). Good to have alternatives.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cheap pocket reducers - put two other object balls in front of the pocket. You can vary the width to any size you want to mimic.
I think even better is to put a donut reinforcement in the middle of the pocket (at the intersection of the rail grooves for the corners or half-way over the brink for the sides). Then note on each shot where the ball enters the pocket relative to the donut. You could even play that if the center of the ball does not pass over at least the edge of the donut, the shot is a miss. But mostly the idea is to make you aware of whether your aim is centered on the actual center of the pocket.

CropperCapture[307].png

Mmmmm. Donuts.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...put a donut reinforcement in the middle of the pocket (at the intersection of the rail grooves for the corners or half-way over the brink for the sides). Then note on each shot where the ball enters

the idea is to make you aware of whether your aim is centered on the actual center of the pocket.
Hmm... I might have to add that to my aim-at-the-facings practice. Thanks.

pj
chgo

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have had Pocket reducers (pracise-pro brand) for many years. As someone allready said, if you don't have a Chinese 8 ball table, they are the closest you'll get. I have the ones that come in a maroon bag, green With a spring that sticks up. Occationally that spring will get in the way of Your cueing (shooting at a different Pocket), but I usually then just remove the reducer on that pocket for that one shot. It is possible, with good planning to run racks of 8 ball on this setup so long as the table doesn't have smaller Pockets than about 4 .25 without the reducers. I suppose you could do it on even smaller pockets, but I certainly can't. Straight pool is too tough unless you are a pro. I gave up on it after fighting very hard to get a good run. You need Extreme skills to even break 50 in my opinion. Maybe you can get a good run, if everything goes right, IDK. I was proud to get past 30 and I tried MANY, MANY times.. Even that run was very lucky.

I think they are terrific for practising like the OP suggested. Longl shots will be a real challenge. Once you start upping the speed, you'll get a true test of your fundamentals (and temperament). If the table has 5 inch or larger pockets, it's not unreasonable to play some games on it, maybe even 9 ball, but it still plays tougher than any Natural table imo. The bare rubber just throws balls out of the Pocket. If you can play 8 ball With these on (especially on a 4.5 inch or smaller Pocket), you can play Chinese 8 ball on any table, even the tightest ones. Obviously the rails are different) but the pocket plays no more difficult. The sides will actually be much harder With the reducers on a pool table, since that's actually the biggest and easiest Pocket on a Chinese 8 ball table. If you want to simulate C8b, you should probably not use the reducers on the side pockets.

You could glue some cloth to them to make them play a little bit more Natural, but I don't think you need to, unless you plan on playing games on them. The raw rubber adds difficulty. It's a little bit easier to slide balls in along the rails With cloth on. I've tested both. I recommend this product. I've certainly gotten a lot of value and milage out of mine, and they are still in great condition. A slight caution: On some tables, especially With weird side Pocket cut angles, the reducers will sometimes launch themselves out of the Pocket and up into the air. It's a very minor annoyance.

Last edited:

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pocket Reducers

I just play a lot of combinations with different angles and distances. You have to consider throw on both balls, need a precision hit and it doesn’t cost anything. I also make sure to play position on the middle ball which adds a further complexity to the problem.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of pocket reducers, try this. Shoot from the head string and put the object ball just past the side pocket. Place both the cue ball and object ball 1/4 inch off the rail. This will make the effective corner pocket opening very small.

After you become proficient with that shot using draw, stop, and follow; then go to the next trying step that will make an honest man out of you. Shoot the stop shot using right or left English. The cue ball should stop and spin in place. After you are proficient try high right...low right ...etc.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Instead of pocket reducers, try this. Shoot from the head string and put the object ball just past the side pocket. Place both the cue ball and object ball 1/4 inch off the rail. This will make the effective corner pocket opening very small.

After you become proficient with that shot using draw, stop, and follow; then go to the next trying step that will make an honest man out of you. Shoot the stop shot using right or left English. The cue ball should stop and spin in place. After you are proficient try high right...low right ...etc.

this ain't such bad advice right here

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

That's not a bad idea. In fact, when I shoot those type of shots, all I do is focus on the distance away from the rail when aiming.