Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS (that all pool players should know)
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS (that all pool players should know)
Old
  (#1)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Talking Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS (that all pool players should know) - 11-16-2019, 01:48 PM

Samm Diep and I just posted a video acting out the Top 10 Proposition Shots that all pool players should know because they are very impressive and not that difficult to master. Here it is:

Check it out. The shots (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:

1 - Frozen-ball rail-cut shot - 0:11
1a - Huge cling/skid/kick combo - 1:28
2 - Impossible 9 for the win - 1:58
3 - Triangle of 3-frozen balls - 2:37
4 - Squeeze past frozen ball - 4:01
5 - Knock the quarter off the ball - 4:49
6 - Kick close to a ball - 6:43
7 - Small-gap double-hit avoid - 8:56
8 - Line of 3 frozen balls - 10:26
8a - Really tough challenge shot - 11:52
9 - Frozen-rail escape - 12:22
10 - Elevated draw along cushion - 14:21

Wrap-Up - 15:59
Out-Takes - 16:17

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about the video. Since I got good feedback on the recent Rollie Williams interview/lesson video, I thought I should do another fun video with more live talking and shooting. The key phrase for the Rollie video "drinking game" was the name "Rollie." For this video, it is "bread sticks."

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited by dr_dave; 11-16-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Old
  (#2)
td873
BCA PCA ABA
td873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond reputetd873 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

11-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Cool. That was fun! Thanks for taking the time!

-td

Black + Gilbert J/B
Justis
9' GC I/II [Diamond Specs] [Littman light]
Simonis HR [Tournament blue]
Aramith Pro Cup TV / Cyclop

Old
  (#3)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td873 View Post
Cool. That was fun! Thanks for taking the time!
I'm glad you liked it. You're welcome.

I really enjoyed filming it. And now I know how to make all of these shots (which wasn't the case before we started filming). Except for the really tough one at the 11:52 point. If anybody can make this shot, please post a video. I'll be impressed. I embarrassingly tried that shot for about 1.5 hours straight! The amount of cut, speed, and top spin must be perfect, and the CB needs to hit just close enough to the corner pocket so the point helps redirect the CB to help avoid the double kiss and get a good angle for the kick across the table. I think it is the toughest shot I have ever attempted.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by dr_dave; 11-16-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Old
  (#4)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Nice job. I like the 3 frozen on the short rail. I wonder if it’s possible to make any 1, 2, or 3 balls that someone chooses. It looks like you got part of the way to that point, but a few combinations of balls were left out.

Old
  (#5)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Nice job.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I like the 3 frozen on the short rail. I wonder if it’s possible to make any 1, 2, or 3 balls that someone chooses. It looks like you got part of the way to that point, but a few combinations of balls were left out.
That sounds like a fun a doable challenge. I look forward to trying it.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Foul!!!!!

Nice to see your fun loving twin...

Old
  (#7)
deanoc
AzB Gold Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2019, 09:04 PM

i really enjoyed these tricky shots

you are certainly a big plus for this forum

thank you for making all of this information available to us

Old
  (#8)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-16-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Foul!!!!!
Some of the shots in the video are certainly fouls (as I say in the narrations), but some of them are also legal hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Nice to see your fun loving twin...
Thanks.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#9)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-16-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
i really enjoyed these tricky shots

you are certainly a big plus for this forum

thank you for making all of this information available to us
Im glad you liked them. Thank you for your kind words.

Best regards,
Dave

Old
  (#10)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-17-2019, 06:45 AM

Anybody try the challenge shot yet? Somebody on YouTube just posted a successful attempt. It looks like my angle was a little too steep (with the cue crossing the rail just below the 3rd diamond). His cue was crossing the rail just below the 2nd diamond. Whether the shot goes or not probably depends on ball and cushion conditions. When I get some time, I plan to try it more on my table and others.

If you get it to work, please post a video.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#11)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 05:47 PM

To see how this shot worked I plotted the CB's path with frames from the video.

Looks like he puts a half tip or so of left on the CB, bringing the CB straight across to the second rail. The left spin becomes a touch of right spin on the first rail to throw it into the 9 off the second rail.

Judging by the angle of the CB into the first rail, the 2 ball is hit more full than it would be for a normal bank, caroming off the pocketed ball to straighten it out.

pj
chgo

Name:  shot.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  127.4 KB

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 11-17-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Old
  (#12)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-17-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
To see how this shot worked I plotted the CB's path with frames from the video.

Looks like he puts a half tip or so of left on the CB, bringing the CB straight across to the second rail. The left spin becomes a touch of right spin on the first rail to throw it into the 9 off the second rail.

Judging by the angle of the CB into the first rail, the 2 ball is hit more full than it would be for a normal bank, caroming off the pocketed ball to straighten it out.

pj
chgo

Attachment 534721
Good summary. I tried this angle and approach during my attempts, and I was getting a double kiss. I will try again tomorrow trying for a fuller hit. I also want to try pocketing the other combinations of the 1-9-3 frozen balls. In the video, I made the 9, 1-3, 9-3, and 1-9-3. The 3 is trivial, but I also want to find a way to pocket the 1 and 1-9. If anybody else gives it a go and has success, please post a video.

Thanks for posting the images,
Dave

Old
  (#13)
mnb
AzB Silver Member
mnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond reputemnb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-17-2019, 08:22 PM

nice shots

Old
  (#14)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb View Post
nice shots
Thanks. Most of them are “classics” that have been around a really long time.

I’m glad you liked it,
Dave

Old
  (#15)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

11-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Hey there Dr Dave. Hope you have been good!

Best regards

Fatboy

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: