Who was the best pool player you ever played in your pool career?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.I must have "got lucky".

Ginky or a guy called Cigar Tom in Baltimore

I just found out a couple weeks ago I played "Cigar Tom" down in St. Petersburg. I still remember the "snooker shaft" he used on a bar table. It didn't seem practical at the time, and I did manage to pull off a win, however.....I must have "got lucky". ;)

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
Cowboy Jimmy Moore- I won a little tournament in the pool room when I was a kid...Jimmy came in to do an exhibition and play a few games with the winner.... he came with his buddy Luther Lassiter. I was in awe... they both got a kick out of a young girl winning the local tournament.

bountybuddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a chance to play Harry Sexton from Flint, Michigan. At the time I was married and had a young child so I did not play him. He wanted to play me for $100.00 and spot me the 5 thru the 9. At that time I had run 6 racks of 9 ball from the break but felt I did not have a chance of beating him and could not afford to lose the $100.00. Many times I wish I would have played him. I thought he was the best in Michigan but years later learned of Harold Worst from Grand Rapids, Michigan. He was better. Mathew Grady played him and so did The Beard. Both guys beat him. Once Harry came into the pool hall where I was playing and practiced his break for 8 hours straight. His nick name was Little Harry. Friends called him Poochie. The best person I ever watched play was Dennis Orcollo. At the time he was number two in the world. Quite often I would watch Cornbread Red play Harry Sexton. Cornbread Red never won but would lose a bundle.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
For me that would be Titanic Thomas, and I know what you're thinking, you mean Titanic Thompson. No, it was Titanic Thomas, a guy who used to come in our pool hall. He was six foot five and weighed in at about four hundred and eighty pounds.
One day, me and Thomas were playing One Pocket when a shot came up that necessitated him using a crutch. Being much to lazy to reach under the table to grab one he stretched out as far as he could and...got stuck.
There he was, with his enormous gut hung on the head rail, teetering back and forth. He looked like Moby Dick on dry land. It took me, two other guys, and a small boy to get him off the table.
Thomas was so shaken by the event that he lost the next three games to me. :smile:

Disclaimer: If this story isn't true, it ought to be.

sfvpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Petralba - many times
Tang Hoa - he let me win
Oscar Dominguez in a tournament - he didn't let me win

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Challenge game at USA billiards in Laurel when she and Grady were doing the tour (early-mid 90')s

Only person that night to caulk up a win against her. It was one game though which is meaningless in the long run.

It was nice to see her in that environment, you don't get a chance to see her personality on TV. She is a lovely person.

How did you do playing Alison? Win, lose, or draw?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Males, Tony Ellin, Justin Miller, Brandon Shuff, Ron Vitello, and Eldridge Tucker.
Female, MARY KENNISTON. I've been her rack boy a couple of times, and she's retired from competition!

Just curios how long ago did you play Ron Vitello..what game and what was the score if you remember, Ive taken lessons from Ron on his 90/90 system and wondered also if he was pivoting while playing. I knew he was a great teacher but didn't know he was a top player..I know he learned the game from Fusco and they were good friends.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Challenge game at USA billiards in Laurel when she and Grady were doing the tour (early-mid 90')s

Only person that night to caulk up a win against her. It was one game though which is meaningless in the long run.

It was nice to see her in that environment, you don't get a chance to see her personality on TV. She is a lovely person.

I thank you for your response. Have a nice week end!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

dwalding

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played one game of 9ball with the following.... Willie Mosconi, Earl Strickland, Johnny Archer, Jimm Caras, but played several matches of one pocket with Grady Matthews, Cliff Joyner, Tony Chohan and Billy Palmer. Although I look back on the single games I played as enjoyable once in a lifetime experiences, I really treasure the one on one matches I had with the second group of players. The first group of players I played at a BCA trade show while they were exhibiting at a booth, and the second group I played in tournament. I spent half a day playing Grady Matthews and that is one of my most memorable experiences with any of the legends.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel, Buddy, Jim Whitman, Mike Betts, Danny Harriman, Shane Jones, Randy Wallace, Jeff Melton, John Gabriel, Larry Barnes, Steve Deason, Jim McDermott

Last edited:

Duane Tuula

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dallas West in a ring game on a 9-footer, SVB and Matlock in bar table tourneys. I think I could of beat Shane at the time but didn't get the job done.Maybe next time ;)

Ron Moore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my college days in Austin mid to late 80s at the open Eric's tournaments. Gilbert Martinez, Smokey Bartlett, Little David Henson but at the time I think James Davis Sr. (aka Bastrop) was probably the strongest local.

The most memorable though were a couple world champions Belinda Bearden (not sure which husband she was on at the time) and her successor Vivian Villareal (quite the looker!). Both class acts at least when I knew them. I would do well to win two or three games in races to seven but I was always thrilled to play someone who made it to ESPN.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played one game of 9ball with the following.... Willie Mosconi, Earl Strickland, Johnny Archer, Jimm Caras, but played several matches of one pocket with Grady Matthews, Cliff Joyner, Tony Chohan and Billy Palmer. Although I look back on the single games I played as enjoyable once in a lifetime experiences, I really treasure the one on one matches I had with the second group of players. The first group of players I played at a BCA trade show while they were exhibiting at a booth, and the second group I played in tournament. I spent half a day playing Grady Matthews and that is one of my most memorable experiences with any of the legends.

You played some great players. I bet you will remember these times and events for a long time. I like that too. Thanks for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.