Stop with the cue pointing!!!!!!!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Not all brains work the same. There are times where that kind of visualizing is very helpful for me, so I do it. Most times I can see it pretty clearly, but what’s wrong with taking a different kind of look at a shot every now and then? I happen to think that the person in the chair should mind their own business while their opponent shoots. Unless they’re being unreasonable slow, who cares?

Well said, e!

Maniac

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the first guys I saw who could really move the cue ball where he wanted it impresses me with his confidence. He would make a circular motion with his cue where he wanted the CB for the next shot.

I thought it was cool, being 16 or 17 and never seeing a cueball on the string like that except an occasional Wide World of Sports show.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My position is here.
I gotta get there.
My aiming point is here.
Puuuleeeease!
Just friggin' play.
I should've said EXCESSIVE pointing. (Slow play)
Was watching a very slow match at the time.

What do you mean "pointing"? I point my cue through the cueball at the place I'm aiming as I step into the shot. I also often point my cue through the back of the object ball at the pocket. Both situations help me to draw an imaginary line with my mind. Is that what you mean?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do you mean "pointing"? I point my cue through the cueball at the place I'm aiming as I step into the shot. I also often point my cue through the back of the object ball at the pocket. Both situations help me to draw an imaginary line with my mind. Is that what you mean?

KMRUNOUT

I believe he’s talking about when the players point their tip where they’re hoping to leave the cueball, where they’ll hit the rail, etc. watch some Justin Bergman and you’ll see exactly what they mean.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point all you want, just do it in a timely manner.
If all the analysis is resulting in slow play, I hate it !

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergman does it a lot. And I’m really glad he does. It’s not often you see exactly what a player like that is thinking about. Feel like I learn something every time I watch him. Yeah it’s tough watching weak players in your pool room do it then not come close. But it’s their decision to play however the hell they want. I can not watch them and not play them if I want. Damn sure not gonna whine about it.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I like to point and I wish everybody pointed. I'd like to play where you call all your shots and your next shots. If you get out of line, you have to still shoot to the original pocket you called for the next ball.
That last idea is VERY interesting.

Ok, I have to admit my remark was little cheap for which I apologize, lets talk logic then. What do you know about visualization? Are you aware of its benefits? Have you actually tried it when playing pool? Have you watched any Fargorate 800+ players how they prepare for playing advanced positions during their matches?
I love to visualize a nice carom or combo without pointing. A lot of my favorite Pros don't do it. Or not too much.
I had a few beers, was watching an amateur match. The guy was doing it repeatedly and it was slooow.

I started an identical thread back in February titled "We know where you wanted to leave the Cue Ball". Apparently you missed seeing it, but there is something about doing this that I don't like - particularly players that aren't very good and do it only because they see some pro players doing it. They actually make themselves look foolish when they miss their intended spot by half a table, or they come close to their intended spot, but miss the shot!
I remember now. Great thread.

By that logic there must be a ton of things players in other sports should stop doing:

Golfers - stop taking practice swings, and what's with the kneeling down trying to get a read on the green.....just putt the damn thing!!!!

I could hit more sports but it's early :boring2:
Some baseball players in the batter's box top all!! Haha

I believe he’s talking about when the players point their tip where they’re hoping to leave the cueball, where they’ll hit the rail, etc. watch some Justin Bergman and you’ll see exactly what they mean.
Exactly.

Point all you want, just do it in a timely manner.
If all the analysis is resulting in slow play, I hate it !
🍻

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
People are so easily annoyed. Why even go out when every little thing annoys you? I have a friend who is exactly like that. EVERY thing that goes on annoys him. I've told him he should play in a morgue, and then if anybody moves, run for it. Minnesota Fats ripoff, hehe. The other day I was sitting about 15 yards away, quietly readying a book, out of his line of sight and he yelled at me. People are breathing too loud, chalking too loud, playing too slow, playing too fast (yes he actually complained about that once). Why care what anyone else does, especially on their inning?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh. I suppose I do that sometimes. I often show myself the line of the shot of the next ball with my cue to make sure I will land on the right side of it. Any visual information I can give myself can be very helpful at times.

I guess my position on the matter is "who cares?" I can never understand why people think I or anyone else thinks or functions like them. You don't like to do it? That's fine. I mean yeah, if you're taking an excessively long time to shoot that's one thing. Otherwise, I think people should stop being so worried about how other people play.

KMRUNOUT

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh. I suppose I do that sometimes. I often show myself the line of the shot of the next ball with my cue to make sure I will land on the right side of it. Any visual information I can give myself can be very helpful at times.

I guess my position on the matter is "who cares?" I can never understand why people think I or anyone else thinks or functions like them. You don't like to do it? That's fine. I mean yeah, if you're taking an excessively long time to shoot that's one thing. Otherwise, I think people should stop being so worried about how other people play.

KMRUNOUT

Pretty much exactly what I posted. Totally agree.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Do great players really have to point before they take their turn?

70F20CA7-92F7-46D0-ABD4-57E98A769222.jpeg

Well, one guy did, in the ‘32 World Series

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
People are so easily annoyed. Why even go out when every little thing annoys you? I have a friend who is exactly like that. EVERY thing that goes on annoys him. I've told him he should play in a morgue, and then if anybody moves, run for it. Minnesota Fats ripoff, hehe. The other day I was sitting about 15 yards away, quietly readying a book, out of his line of sight and he yelled at me. People are breathing too loud, chalking too loud, playing too slow, playing too fast (yes he actually complained about that once). Why care what anyone else does, especially on their inning?
I wasn't out anywhere.
I was speaking about a stream I was watching.
He was doing the pointing AND playing very slow.
I guess point if you must but....
Put them on the clock.
All points well taken.
Since this revived an old topic (accidentally),
I'll try not to bump it any more. Just edit.
#shotclocks :thumbup:
Easy-e:....It was MD State 8ball. Guy named John Moody was the "pointer".

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wasn't out anywhere.
Put them on the clock.
All points well taken.

Was it Bergman at the USBTC with Jay and Cotton doing commentary?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't out anywhere.
Put them on the clock.
....All points well taken.
Shot clock is a great idea.
Watching Bergman is a real pain.

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes . Pointing where you "wanted " the cueball to go is the worst., For many reasons

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't often blow my cue ball positioning but when I do I always point my cue stick at the exact position I intended to leave the cue ball at.

Last edited:

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love to visualize a nice carom or combo without pointing. A lot of my favorite Pros don't do it. Or not too much.
I had a few beers, was watching an amateur match. The guy was doing it repeatedly and it was slooow.

From what I know about how our brain process visual information the more info you provide to your brain the easier it is for your brain to "fulfill" your wish regarding both potting and position play. And by pointing to a certain spot at the table you basically give your brain such info about where you want to put cueball for example. I give you that the more advanced the player is the less info his/her brain needs to do what he/she wants to do but even top pros stop from time to time to "feed" their brain with info needed. On the other hand you said yourself that you were watching an amateur match so you could at least expect slower/more deliberate aproach to the game ;)