Sky Woodward - Record "24" ?

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, i didn't realize the cb to OB weight difference made a difference in outcome of shot until you brought it up earlier.

How i confirmed what you said was: i called the person that was playing with me at the time and ask him to weigh the cb i gave him. It was the cb I was using at the time. It was an old cb that i got from a closing room.

He told me that particular cb weighs 5.71 oz. The ob I was using at the time was 5.96 oz and had newer cloth. The ob still weighs 5.96 but, the cloth is a lot more worn but, its still in what I would consider good shape.

I cant wait till i get a little more time. Its my luck, I usually have ALLLL the time in the world but, for a little while now I've had to choose between my table time and family priorities and I'm pretty sure you know which one won.

Another week or so :dance:, and I should be able to spend a little time on such things. Right now, I'm doing good to get to play a short race to 100 or even 50 at times in 14.1 and I'm not about to spend that time shooting the spot shot instead of taking advantage of playing a really strong player that i dont get to play often.

BTW Bob:

You never answered my question about a crater at the spot causing the cb to slow down.

To keep you from having to look at previous post: I remember shooting that shot at a local room where the table had a pretty good size hole under ob ball when on spot (both ends of table was that way) and I recall the cb stopping much sooner on that table.

I have no idea what the ob/cb weighed. All i know is they were old. The cloth was older also.

Man I can't wait to play you some. I'm headed east in a month to my family reunion in Charlotte I'll make sure I set aside 4 days so we can play some One Pocket and 9ball I'll also make sure that I don't hit a single ball till then , I wanna make it fair ya know ! I hope you are as good at pool as you make yourself out to be . No offense intended just really sounds like you like playing good players and you like to gamble , heck you sound like me so it should be a great match and I'm rooting for you sir . Should be around August 8 -11... Keep playing great players it's good for the game !!!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, Bob replicated what I was able to do, which was a hell of a lot farther from the rail than I thought possible. I did get one parallel to the diamond but wasn’t recording. I was able to shoot it fairly consistently, but a ramp is a neat idea. Did you make it yourself Bob?
Actually, I made two ramps, a long one and a short one. The short one does not launch the ball as straight; the longer one has metal rails on a wood frame and can shoot a lag shot. I've had them for a while.

I just tried the shot in Virtual pool and it gets the same result for the best shot -- the cue ball ends slightly less than a diamond from the foot rail. Virtual Pool gets the result a lot faster than in reality. (y)

This is a shot waiting to win bar bets.;) Or play it as a challenge against someone who hasn't practiced it.

Last edited:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the table is level, felt clean, balls clean and not out of round (from wear/over cleaning), shooting a spot shot and cue ball stopping 1.5 diamonds before it gets to foot rail is not difficult after a little practice.

As you said, it's a very good way to practice touch shots with distance.

Me and a friend used to mess around back in the day and see who could stop the cb closest to the spot without hitting a rail from the kitchen. This is a crappy attempt, but I didn’t have much time to fool around with it. Had to get ready for work.

https://youtu.be/TFz5d8cVjAo

Last edited:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crappy?.....:confused:
That was beautiful

The timing was off. For what I was trying to do, I actually missed the ball. The spin grabbed though and swerved the cb into the spot and I made it anyway...lucky.

I’ve stopped the cb much closer to the spot than that. The trick is the cb needs to still be spinning 1 to 7 (in relation to the line of the shot, looking down on the cb from above) on contact. But with the spin just starting to grab before contact. It’s possible to almost stop the cb dead if it’s hit perfectly.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and a friend used to mess around back in the day and see who could stop the cb closest to the spot without hitting a rail from the kitchen. This is a crappy attempt, but I didn’t have much time to fool around with it. Had to get ready for work.

https://youtu.be/TFz5d8cVjAo

Back when several of my friends where shooting spot shot drills on a regular basis, a couple of us shot that spot shot.

To me, its a timing problem with the curve/spin.

I was able to almost stop the cb dead at spot but it rolled about an inch through cb.

I had to promise the wife I wouldn't shoot that shot again. Lol....broken tile on floor, broken whatnot stuff sitting nearby. I was lucky she didn't kill me.

Thats when we started the pocket speed spot shot. To me, in its own way is about the same. Got to hit the ob just full enough to slow the cb down but yet not so full that it goes short of pocket.

BTW, that shot looked good to me!!!

Jeff

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know if there is a video available for Skyler’s 24? That would be fun to see.

Until I see video proof, I will assume my 6 is the current world record. :grin-square:

I look forward to seeing videos from other AZB’ers. If people post higher scores, it will motivate me to try harder also.

Let’s see some videos,
Dave
I took your challenge and made 9 after couple hours of practice.
My goal is not to try get easy shots. Just trying to get cueball off from rail and more focused about lining the shot and staying still. Also trying to deny steering(subconsious mind correction) from myself..

Link to video;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ABLNmEXNU

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
My goal is not to try get easy shots. Just trying to get cueball off from rail and more focused about lining the shot and staying still. Also trying to deny steering(subconsious mind correction) from myself..

Link to video;
Good technique ... and good shooting.

What do you think is a realistic top-score goal for you?

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Link to video;
FYI, I added your name, score, and video link to the YouTube video description of my video along with all of the other people who have submitted videos to date.

I hope we get a lot more. I plan to give it a solid try again at some point.

Regards,
Dave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good technique ... and good shooting.

What do you think is a realistic top-score goal for you?

Regards,
Dave

I think around 15 could be possible if I keep doing this with some regularity. I think I will.. It is great practice. Keeping stroke straight when shooting quite thin and difficult shots is hardest thing to do in pool IMO.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave. I think you have to start practicing this again.. :D
My little sister made 8 today. :p Should be motivional enough :D
I took her´s vid from FB(with permission) and posted it in my Youtube Channel with some enchanng editing stuff...

link to video
https://youtu.be/IUg1rTJz9yw

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave. I think you have to start practicing this again.. :D
My little sister made 8 today. :p Should be motivional enough :D
I took her´s vid from FB(with permission) and posted it in my Youtube Channel with some enchanng editing stuff...

link to video
https://youtu.be/IUg1rTJz9yw
Wow! That is motivational.

Like you, she has very good technique! You must have rubbed off on her some.

Regards,
Dave