True Cost of a Southwest?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Selling a spot is not unethical.

Happens with just about every high demand/low supply item.

One person holds something of value they have an investment in and for any number of reasons no longer wants, needs or can use it. Another person is willing to pay for it.

Nobody is being pushed back. This ain't 2nd grade.

Chairman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW - I asked Laurie about selling / trading spots a year or so ago, as it was brought up in a possible deal. Her direct quote:

“Glad you checked with me. Absolutely not done. I only deal with the person who placed the original order. What they do with their cue is up to them.”

If you’re curious about prices, just ask Laurie directly. She’s great to work with and gets back to questions within a day or two.

southwestcueslv@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Selling a spot is not unethical.

Happens with just about every high demand/low supply item.

One person holds something of value they have an investment in and for any number of reasons no longer wants, needs or can use it. Another person is willing to pay for it.

Nobody is being pushed back. This ain't 2nd grade.

Funny the word "ethical" is used on a pool forum,:sorry:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so laurie doesn't allow selling spots
therefore your only option is to sell privately to someone

nothing unethical about it many people order in advance and
when they get it,they sell it because the vulue is increased

what a testimony to the south west cue for 30 years they have
worked hard and honestly and been rewarded with a sizeable
increase of reputation and business

i would think the honorabe way to know the price is to call them
personally,or write

if you haven't ordered a six pointer or merry widow then i would
suspect you are a year or more out

it is not common to see many merry widow cues,but i know a lot of people who
want one

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's truly a 10 to 15 year wait for these, they are clearly leaving money on the table. They could raise the price 'til the wait drops off to under a year, or less, and increase profits dramatically for the very same work.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laurie has been told this advice for over 20 years
and does not want tocancel her presentorders
or gouge customers

if others resell at a profit that is not Laurie's fault

In fact this is a sign that she has done a good job for her customers

Not everyone is motivated the same,some people have
a sense of obligation to her customers

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there's truly a 10 to 15 year wait for these, they are clearly leaving money on the table. They could raise the price 'til the wait drops off to under a year, or less, and increase profits dramatically for the very same work.

Again, a true statement of business models in general, but not something SW seems to be interested in.

Its a boutique, not beholden to business generalities, only itself and by choice, its customers.

I have never heard talk of selling the brand, but you can bet your sweet lucasi Laurie could have cashed that name out years ago. Some things are more important to people than more money

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
first it is unethical to sell your spot. get in a line for something someday and have people in front of you holding spots for sale to others that were not there before you and see how you feel. especially if it means you never get a seat.

plus if there are flippers it means she is charging too little and should raise the prices. it isnt gouging doing that it is selling at the fair market rate. and opens up spots for others that really want her cues for playing pool. so she would be doing the right thing. now she is shutting out the pool players.

coco bolo should get the most unusual and expensive one he can afford as that will be what will go up the most when the time comes to sell.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The late Roy Malot of IndyQ, always seemed to have a few new Southwest Cue. People I believe would sell to Roy, and most of Roy Cues went to Aisa were buyer were willing to pay his asking price.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
...get in a line for something someday and have people in front of you holding spots for sale to others that were not there before you and see how you feel.

This happens to me often. Not with SW cues, but other items that have years long wait lists. It happens. Everybody knows it.

Does not bother me in the least. I don't care what somebody that has been waiting longer than myself does, it is not my business. I also don't care that somebody is willing to pay a premium to replace that spot.

Nobody is jumping the line. Nobody is getting pushed back.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody is getting pushed back.

Well, actually, they are. If not for the line sitters, the line would be shorter, and most would be closer to the head.

I really don't care, I'm not in the market for a multi-thousand dollar cue, which I regard as an object de art, with a highly speculative value, a value far beyond its utility.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a free market. So tired of hearing people complain about flippers. They have bills to pay just like everyone else. Just because they make their money in a different way than you do doesn’t mean they’re evil.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a free market. So tired of hearing people complain about flippers. They have bills to pay just like everyone else. Just because they make their money in a different way than you do doesn’t mean they’re evil.

Who said anything about "flippers?" Not me!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned five and only one of those actually played well. The one that played well was a merry widow and was the least expensive at $1,200.

I know very few really good players that actually like to play with them.

On the other hand, I know tons of people that collect them. Most of which do it to resale the cue at a later date. Very, very few actually buy them with no plans to ever resale.

I've heard a few people claim they would never sell but, lol....most all of them did.

Jeff

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jviss your opinion is meaningless

unless we know more about you

who are you?
where do you play?
do you play so good that you would know a great hitting cue if you saw one?

why do good players like them so much?
Do you play better than Tony C
or know more about pool than Billy incardona?

These guys pay retail to get their SW cues just like everybody else

The only reason most of us don't play south west is because it is hard to turn down a profit

I almost always intend to keep mine,but I get an offer

Billy incarona gave me a quiet personal lecture,He said,

:"we all know they play the best,why don't you just keep one,you can afford it?"

Billy is no stranger to pool cues,value or money.

His advice carries some weight,but who is jviss?

I would hate to miss out by taking the advice of a guy
with no feedback and no reputation.
How do I know that he knows anything about pool?

just asking,

she may be somebody big for all I know.
But I doubt it

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jviss your opinion is meaningless

unless we know more about you

who are you?
where do you play?
do you play so good that you would know a great hitting cue if you saw one?

why do good players like them so much?
Do you play better than Tony C
or know more about pool than Billy incardona?

These guys pay retail to get their SW cues just like everybody else

The only reason most of us don't play south west is because it is hard to turn down a profit

I almost always intend to keep mine,but I get an offer

Billy incarona gave me a quiet personal lecture,He said,

:"we all know they play the best,why don't you just keep one,you can afford it?"

Billy is no stranger to pool cues,value or money.

His advice carries some weight,but who is jviss?

I would hate to miss out by taking the advice of a guy
with no feedback and no reputation.
How do I know that he knows anything about pool?

just asking,

he may be somebody big for all I know.
But I doubt it

So are you a great player, world renowed in Dallas, are you a great cuemaker, is your opinion somehow so much more valuable and meaningful than Jv, since your are asking his qualifications, can we ask yours? Does spending money on cues and selling a week later make someone the definitive source on everything pool?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker,
let me answer your questionsi in reverse order
order
I don't recommend cues that I have never seen or know anything about

ii have known and discussed cues with almost every great cue maker in America,I don't always or even usually understand everythng they say,but one thing comes out clearly and that is that South west cues are admired even by their copetitors

It is widely known that I don't play very good,I did run 56 balls with a cue that I helped Jack potter design

I designed the Deano cue by combining the best features of cues I liked including the shaft taper

Tim Scruggs,voted one of the 3 best hitting cues examined the Deano cue and liked the results so much that he changed his taper to be more like the one iI liked

I have talked abt South West cues with dealers,they love the cues

I have listened to Billy Incardona,tony chohan,Allen Hopkin discuuss why they liked them,the uality etc

I have visited with Jerry Franklin and Larie and seen their amazing quality control and proceedures that I shared with Barry,larry and others who learned from them

I personally played with many south west and never saw one I didn't like

I have observe that there are basically two types of cues,East Coast..Schon.Balabushka,Szamboti,mottey,Scruggs,joss early years

and ones after south west design joint and construction,cognoscenti , Libra,ack pot,etc

I like both styles but it might be worthwhile to see how south west cues changed the style

I don't see how that my selling cues has much to do with my qualifications to build a cue,but it did give me the chance to examine a bunch

I detected a certain amount of hostility in your remarks

Is there something wrong with me asking who this guy is with all the critical remarks about the best cues ever made ?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there something wrong with me asking who this guy is with all the critical remarks about the best cues ever made ?
Dean,

If you go back and read carefully (or even casually!) you will see that I never once commented on the quality, beauty, value, or utility of these cues! Not once. So, you're really straying with your negative comments about me.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker,
let me answer your questionsi in reverse order
order
I don't recommend cues that I have never seen or know anything about

ii have known and discussed cues with almost every great cue maker in America,I don't always or even usually understand everythng they say,but one thing comes out clearly and that is that South west cues are admired even by their copetitors

It is widely known that I don't play very good,I did run 56 balls with a cue that I helped Jack potter design

I designed the Deano cue by combining the best features of cues I liked including the shaft taper

Tim Scruggs,voted one of the 3 best hitting cues examined the Deano cue and liked the results so much that he changed his taper to be more like the one iI liked

I have talked abt South West cues with dealers,they love the cues

I have listened to Billy Incardona,tony chohan,Allen Hopkin discuuss why they liked them,the uality etc

I have visited with Jerry Franklin and Larie and seen their amazing quality control and proceedures that I shared with Barry,larry and others who learned from them

I personally played with many south west and never saw one I didn't like

I have observe that there are basically two types of cues,East Coast..Schon.Balabushka,Szamboti,mottey,Scruggs,joss early years

and ones after south west design joint and construction,cognoscenti , Libra,ack pot,etc

I like both styles but it might be worthwhile to see how south west cues changed the style

I don't see how that my selling cues has much to do with my qualifications to build a cue,but it did give me the chance to examine a bunch

I detected a certain amount of hostility in your remarks

Dean, I sincerely like you a lot, granted we have only talked on the forums and through private messages, you are a nice guy, and to offer me a free painting, again you have been nothing but kind to me. I have zero hostility towards you.

My step grandfather fought five world champion boxers of which he beat 4( they weren't world champions at the time). I have a few acquaintances who are professional fighters(2 in the ufc, one of which will be fighting for a belt his next fight, and and 1 boxer who was world champion a few years ago).
I also have at least a dozen really good friends with at least a brown belt in jiujitsu.

Here is the thing, Interacting with people who are great doesnt make you great by association in my opinion, and just because I know some world class fighters doesnt somehow make me an expert on combat sports.

I am sure groupies have hung out with a lot more rockstars than the average person, doesn't mean they know anything about music other than what they regurgitate.

Take the draw cue for example, you had players and builders look at it, why?

Anyways, seems kinda rude/hostile to tell the guy his opinion is meaningless based off him sharing his opinion on a forum meant to share opinions about pool.
But I am a nobody. just sharing my meaningless opinion.

Last edited: