Jackpot Cues

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be on to something. I know mine is a 60" with rings, and there are also 58" ones out there. Some have rings and some don't Maybe ferrule lengths differ too. These Jackpot cues are sounding more like one of a kind customs the more I think about it. That's it, I'll sell mine for $700 if anyone wants it! :D

Why would a cue maker produce a non-uniform batch? Almost sounds as if some cue maker held a ten person cue making class, with each student getting to build the same cue but of different lengths, with different ferrules, and with or without ringwork. And then off to the market they went!

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would a cue maker produce a non-uniform batch? Almost sounds as if some cue maker held a ten person cue making class, with each student getting to build the same cue but of different lengths, with different ferrules, and with or without ringwork. And then off to the market they went!

That gives me a great idea for my new line of Crackpot draw cues, now I just have to hit up the local high school woodworking class and get the ball rolling.

I am going to be turning out custom cues and getting youth involved in pool, really a win-win situation for everyone. Send 100.00$ now as a deposit and 499.00 upon completion, 13 spots open, once in a lifetime opportunity!

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
If Barry Szamboti gave the specs to leon sly and he built the cues would they be considered Szamboti's?

There is nothing "legit" about any of this, and absolutely no way to justify it. It wouldn't matter if Barry had made 100 cues like the "spec'd" ones, it is 100% FRAUD.

Btw, I like 99% of Dean's posts, does he break the rules? Sure, but without Dean posting there's not much going on.

I loved your last sentence.
Of course I haven’t really kept up with much of this, but hate seeing penny loafers getting such a bad rap.

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I won't speculate as to why, but I have seen plenty of cue makers make "batches" with varying differences. A similar style with slightly different woods, with or without veneers or even different colored inlays. Look at the Olney in my signature for one example. Jeff made several variants of this SW style burl cue. Sure, there are obviously greater differences with Jeff's compared to the Jackpot cues, but the Jackpot cues were stated to be plain looking great shooting cues.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I said the ferrule was one inch, I was eyeballing it. It may be a tad over. People who don't have one shouldn't worry about them.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won't speculate as to why, but I have seen plenty of cue makers make "batches" with varying differences. A similar style with slightly different woods, with or without veneers or even different colored inlays. Look at the Olney in my signature for one example. Jeff made several variants of this SW style burl cue. Sure, there are obviously greater differences with Jeff's compared to the Jackpot cues, but the Jackpot cues were stated to be plain looking great shooting cues.

I’ll keep an open mind. It is all just so odd. The customers weren’t asked what ferrule type or length they’d like, or whether they’d like a ring here or there, or not - at least I don’t recall that. Yes, if you were going to make a batch to take to a show, you absolutely might build some with rings and some without. Some customers prefer rings, and others don’t. And upon seeing slight differences, some customers might feel that they were purchasing a proverbial “One of one” cue. But here, the Jackpot marketing was more like Potluck marketing. Pay your $500 and find out after the fact just what this lightly described cue really looks like. And the use of slightly different ferrules almost makes it seem as if the maker was looking to use up an old assortment of ferrules.

Signing off on this thread. I think that all the points that have needed to be made, have been made.

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll keep an open mind. It is all just so odd. The customers weren’t asked what ferrule type or length they’d like, or whether they’d like a ring here or there, or not - at least I don’t recall that. Yes, if you were going to make a batch to take to a show, you absolutely might build some with rings and some without. Some customers prefer rings, and others don’t. And upon seeing slight differences, some customers might feel that they were purchasing a proverbial “One of one” cue. But here, the Jackpot marketing was more like Potluck marketing. Pay your $500 and find out after the fact just what this lightly described cue really looks like. And the use of slightly different ferrules almost makes it seem as if the maker was looking to use up an old assortment of ferrules.

Signing off on this thread. I think that all the points that have needed to be made, have been made.

You are correct, I don't recall them asking what any customer wanted. These were semi-mystery after all. I think it's neat the cues are slightly different and people could pick from slight variations. As far as 2 different ferrules, they stated it would come with 1 shaft for $500, but threw in a second one with a different ferrule for the same $500. Bonus!

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Jack didn't make these, I wonder if he gave out different specifications for each cue, or if that was just how things came out? Well hopefully he will chime in someday

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
So there was no reveal of the maker(s)?

Wonders if each cue is made slightly different...

No and it's not going to happen. It's doesn't matter who did. It matters that Dean deceived his buyers about who did.

It's a very simple cue made in a short run. Any apprentice could have made them.

I've tried to encourage Dean to apologize for misleading his customers, get an LOA from Jack Potter for the owners, and explain who made the cues. He refuses to do so. There is a reason. I believe some of it is in his M.O. He's having a very difficult time dealing with this issue head on.

You may be on to something. I know mine is a 60" with rings, and there are also 58" ones out there. Some have rings and some don't Maybe ferrule lengths differ too. These Jackpot cues are sounding more like one of a kind customs the more I think about it. That's it, I'll sell mine for $700 if anyone wants it! :D

That's one way to describe nonuniformly done work.

Do all of you people have comprehension problems?

I...am the cue maker!

What’s wrong with using old mismatched stuff that’s just laying around when you can give people a semi-quality product at a price anyone can afford.

We have orders from homeless Californians these are so cheap.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do all of you people have comprehension problems?

What’s wrong with using old mismatched stuff that’s just laying around when you can give people a semi-quality product at a price anyone can afford.

We have orders from homeless Californians these are so cheap.
Yep. Some of these guys just need to walk away from this. Look, deano is a unique cat with his own homebrew/corn-pone marketing schtick. You'd think by now everyone on here would know that, maybe not. Looks like those that have them really like them. Seems like all the whining is by non-buyers. I've never bought from him nor do i plan to but i don't waste time fretting over his used car dealer style hustle. It works for him and has for some time so either buy or pass.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I believe stevelomako was referring to people not comprehending his humorous claim that he was the cuemaker. ;)

carry on

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Yep. Some of these guys just need to walk away from this. Look, deano is a unique cat with his own homebrew/corn-pone marketing schtick. You'd think by now everyone on here would know that, maybe not. Looks like those that have them really like them. Seems like all the whining is by non-buyers. I've never bought from him nor do i plan to but i don't waste time fretting over his used car dealer style hustle. It works for him and has for some time so either buy or pass.
Yes, we all should probably walk away. Those that didn't buy a cue have no problem to be solved and those that did are going overboard with how wonderful they are.

There is however that nagging part about the constant and deceptive advertising in and out of the for sale section which is a matter that all forum members have every right to comment about.

Sent from the future.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I quote Dean O: "Fun for all!"

I have to give it a rest too - my gut is hurting from all the great one liners in this thread.

Last edited: