Massé Cue

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to construct a Massé cue. I came here to discuss a few parameters of this cue.

One of the places I play has a restricted ceiling height. Thus the maximum length of the butt needs to be in the 20" range. I think that I would like the whole cue to end up in the 47" range.

I want the cue to end up (or at least have the capability of ending up) in the 25 oz. range, and I want the balance point to be a little nose heavy when the butt is grasp with a dart throwing grip mid-butt. I think this requirement means that I will have to add significant weight near the front-to-middle of the butt. I plan on using tungsten granules/balls to add the weight and hold them in place during testing with a small threded plug, and after the right weight is selected, adding expoy under the plug to stabilize the weight permanently.

I suspect that the best way to do this is from the rear so the pin is not involved in weight changes and can thus be stronger. I further suspect that it will take significant weight and therefore a significant cavity in the middle (and slightly forward) of the butt to hold the weight. So,

Assuming I buy a pointed blank from one of the on-line custom vendors (say around $100) as a starting point, and hack off the end for length:

A) how big a diameter is it safe to bore in the butt
B) how deep is this bore allowed to run without causing structural problems for a cue used in Massé activities (especially towards the strength of the pin area.)
C) is this one of those areas where I should bore a smaller hole towards the end, and then enlarge the interior in a blind bore operation.
D) should I just add some weight behind the pin in the operation that sets the pin into the butt (to get the nose heavy nature I want).

And finally: The shaft will come from a jump-break cue with the ferrule and tip replaced::

E) I would like to understand the ramification of choosing an ivorine ferrule versus a brass (or bronze) ferrule for a cue designed to hit hard into the surface of the table. And the appropriate length for the ferrule. {I have some phosphor bronze stock on hand.}