This L.O. bored with plain old trophies and plaques

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been running this league going on 15 years now and it pains me to spend good league money on plastic pieces of crap (AKA trophies). Additionally, each season our league gives to each team a small plaque with their team photo on it, and after 15 years I'm so over them as well.

I'm looking for inventive, interesting ideas for prizes, both for individuals and teams. We have done a variety of engraved glassware and water bottles, and they are always popular. This season we cut our awards out of sheet metal and power coated them (see below).

Who out there has made / received an interesting pool league award? Other than cash, what type of award do you like best?? Post a picture if you have one please. Thanks.

triangle1.png

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Check English's portrait of beauty thread.....any of those will do:thumbup:
How do I join?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at league last Wednesday I broke and ran out playing 8 ball.
I asked my team captain if we get extra points for that. He said "You get an atta boy and a pin"
A pin? How about 5 extra points on the team total?
I don't need a pin to show i broke and ran out on a 7 foot table.
It's no big deal.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
The North Dallas/Fort Worth LO has done an exceptional job diversifying the awards and accolades to their players over the years.

For something truly unique, I would contact a local glass blower or metal fabricator and ask them what they could come up with. They will usually come up with something from scrap metal, so it's just their time and originality. (Hot Rod shops can be great for this!)

Here in the Seattle area (King County), we have had the exact same trophies for the past 6 years. Despite the many grumblings from players, including linking pictures from the North Dallas region's trophies to our local FB page.

Our region is so incredibly poor with congratulating players, That as the team captain, I reward any of our players who win Top Gun for their bracket, and we do a team vote for MVP who also gets something special.

Top Gun Trophy: http://www.rixstine.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CA063BI-9

As a LO, you will get an additional discount from Rixstine (who make all the APA patches as well). They are a bit cookie cutter, but you can switch up styles easy enough.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I asked my team captain if we get extra points for that. He said "You get an atta boy and a pin"
It's no big deal.

How long did it take Doug to explain it to you

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It's no big deal.

Pics, or it didn't happen....
or you'll need to show off that pin :grin:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I've been running this league going on 15 years now and it pains me to spend good league money on plastic pieces of crap (AKA trophies). Additionally, each season our league gives to each team a small plaque with their team photo on it, and after 15 years I'm so over them as well.

I'm looking for inventive, interesting ideas for prizes, both for individuals and teams. We have done a variety of engraved glassware and water bottles, and they are always popular. This season we cut our awards out of sheet metal and power coated them (see below).

Who out there has made / received an interesting pool league award? Other than cash, what type of award do you like best?? Post a picture if you have one please. Thanks.

triangle1.png

Finally!!!

Support a business or businesses in the pool industry!

Engraved functional racks or triangles!
Engraved functional chalk holders
Engraved functional cue holders
Embroidered custom hustlin shirts
Embroidered custom towels

Monthly membership to Poolactiontv
Gift certificate to accu-stats
Gift certificate to seyberts they support Azbilliards with banners

I applaud your stance as a league operator!

KD

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
PM "Saint1" ... He is our League Operator for Cal-State Sacramento
and Placerville Pool League. He always has great prizes for the Awards
Banquet. Tell him Howard Sent you.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

triangle1.png

Don't you throw a big banquet that marks the end of your pool year? To me that seems like a pretty good thing. If you want to do something extra maybe something like the Stanley Cup. Where you have one trophy that you add your top team to every year - the team name and all the players. If you acknowledge something like your MVP or your Top Player maybe a small plaque and a $100 at Seybert's or something like that.
Then just for fun you could give gag awards like Most likely to play a safe when he didn't need to, or Biggest Whiner, Most complaints against... stuff like that.
If you don't like any of those, give every one a patch

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Our league stopped trophies for a while and handed out things like little kits with nail clippers and snow brushes.

They hand out trophies again.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than cash? Seriously?

What do I like next to that? I'll take the cue of the guy that lost if he does not have the cash to pay up. I have only ever had to do that twice. Once a McDermott and once a Predator. :)

But I have a feeling such a thing won't work in a league. :wink:

I don't wish to come off overly critical though. I think it's great you are trying to think outside the box and are looking for creative ideas.

I don't play in leagues but I'll be very curious to see where it leads.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me its the effort and accomplishment the trophy represents. Cheap typical plastic or no.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you throw a big banquet that marks the end of your pool year? To me that seems like a pretty good thing. If you want to do something extra maybe something like the Stanley Cup. Where you have one trophy that you add your top team to every year - the team name and all the players. If you acknowledge something like your MVP or your Top Player maybe a small plaque and a $100 at Seybert's or something like that.
Then just for fun you could give gag awards like Most likely to play a safe when he didn't need to, or Biggest Whiner, Most complaints against... stuff like that.
If you don't like any of those, give every one a patch

Yes we have a banquet after each season and our "Stanley Cup" is an engraved 8-ball bowling ball (see below...good for 10 years).

We have plenty of money for that AND individual awards (top team shooter, top shooters in division, MVP, best female, etc etc).
I'm looking for unique ideas for individual awards, something other than trophies or those things I listed.

8ballAlfonso.png

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league stopped trophies for a while and handed out things like little kits with nail clippers and snow brushes.

They hand out trophies again.

LOL That's too funny. As an LO I have had a more than a few of those "I'll never do THAT again" moments.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Yes we have a banquet after each season and our "Stanley Cup" is an engraved 8-ball bowling ball (see below...good for 10 years).

We have plenty of money for that AND individual awards (top team shooter, top shooters in division, MVP, best female, etc etc).
I'm looking for unique ideas for individual awards, something other than trophies or those things I listed.

8ballAlfonso.png

How about you give away APA memberships to some of your more deserving folks

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

triangle1.png

i dont have any pictures of it....but i did a casting of my bridge hand a few years back and bronzed it....someone stole the ting.......it was pretty awesome, and everyone always said it looked like it would have been a fantastic trophy......i could definately build a real nice mount for one with an engraving. May do another justfor the hellof it.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member

Yup, gave you some ideas in my original response. Machine shops can be fantastic when they are left to be creative. Usually Hot Rod shops moreso than a typical machine shop. And if you have a pinstripe guy in your area, then you have endless possibilities.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to a cuebuilder and buy presentation cues. Deal in quantity,this season,next season. High ave. Most improved.Session champions.
You might be surprised at prices you can get.