Best non-phenolic tip for a break cue?

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
I'm looking at a Break cue upgrade, and am considering a non-phenolic tip. I don't seem to have as good of control with the phenolic tips, and I was causing damage to my cue balls when hammering it.

What do you guys think is the best alternative to a phenolic tip?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WB tips are hard as hell too. I like the WhiteDiamondUltra. Synthetic but not phenolic.

shag_fu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got rid of synthetic or phenolic like tips on my main break cue. Went with a hard leather tip. I can feel when a break is solid better with the leather tip. I also got more control on 2nd ball and head ball breaks.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best tip is subjective. But I preferred the White Diamond. But this was for a jump /break cue. A hard leather is a good choice for a break-only cue.

Last edited:

hunter121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had really good luck with a ultra skin ivory hard, and the HH. Tried the white diamond and loved the hit but couldn't get it to stay on my ferrule. Might be the glue I'm useing.

Currently trying out a lexan tip, and really likening the results. Breaks hard and still have control.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could not control breaks with phenolic tip either. For just breaking, I would agree with Triangle or WB. probably any good hard leather tip properly shaped and maintained will do. I am right now having the white diamond installed on my Gilbert JB cue as per other AZrs recommendations, so will see how that works out.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm looking at a Break cue upgrade, and am considering a non-phenolic tip. I don't seem to have as good of control with the phenolic tips, and I was causing damage to my cue balls when hammering it.

What do you guys think is the best alternative to a phenolic tip?

Outsville Hammerhead. No phenolic.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
I'm looking at a jump/break combo. Would you still recommend a hard leather tip if you're using it as a jump cue as well (versus non-phenolic synthetic)?

I was looking at a tip upgrade option of either the white diamond or the samsara break/jump. It looks like the Samsara is all leather.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seybert's used to sell a tip they advertised as "Schon". I think it is just a Water Buffalo tip though, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have one on a shaft and it is HARD.
Otherwise I say Triangle.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been happy with Talisman Pro Extra Hard. More control for breaking than phenolic. But I am not as capable using it for close-in jumps. I still use a dedicated jump with a phenolic tip.