Greatest players never on Mosconi Team?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The first 9 Cups (1994-2002) were all in England; then they started alternating between USA and Europe. From what I heard, Buddy was invited to be on Team USA, but he declined because he wouldn't fly.

Aha....I think you’re right.
He would fly sometimes, but he hated it.

I asked him why he didn’t show at a certain tournament that he was entered...
...he said “I dogged it at the airport.”

UndercuTT

Registered
As several here have already offered these 3 greats, Hall, Sigel, and McCreedy, who could really argue ?

Just throwing out a name I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, and a player I liked, was Stevie Moore. Would definitely take him over several names mentioned, that I won't mention :wink:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As several here have already offered these 3 greats, Hall, Sigel, and McCreedy, who could really argue ?

Just throwing out a name I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, and a player I liked, was Stevie Moore. Would definitely take him over several names mentioned, that I won't mention :wink:
A vote for Stevie is a vote for CTE!!!!! wooohoo.

Brace yourselves!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Sigel, for the most part, had already retired from competition before there was a Mosconi Cup.

This is true Stu. Mike played regularly up until 1992-3, so he was only recently retired. I think the real reason was more about the compensation offered at the time to play in the MC. Mike would have played if they had upped the ante for him. A free trip and a grand in his pocket didn't impress him that much, and he saw it as clearly an exhibition since the European players were not close to our level yet. Our second string players beat them handily the first couple of years.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always forget how many snooker players played in the early years of this event. I wonder if they would even consider a full time snooker player to be part of the UK team these days.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if they would even consider a full time snooker player to be part of the UK team these days.

I dont think Matchroom Sports would consider this, there are many established top level GB pool players which attract the audience in GB. Basically there is no need for a snooker player on MC these days ;)

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think Matchroom Sports would consider this, there are many established top level GB pool players which attract the audience in GB. Basically there is no need for a snooker player on MC these days ;)
I disagree; since Matchroom handles both sports, it would be a brilliant marketing move to develop crossover interest in both sports.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Seems like Francisco Ruiz should have been on The European team at least once by now.

I was really impressed with Denis Grabe last night, he shot an accu-stats .960 in a race to 11. That's pretty much inhuman. If he could shoot like that all the time he'd be a no-brainer for team europe.