How To Clean This Measles CB

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching Nick Varner's show in Evansville this past Saturday I decided to grab my Measles/Pro Cup CB and play some with it. Its what Nick, and the others, were playing with on the Olhausen table this past Saturday.

However, after a day or two it got all of those dirty little spots on it. You can see the pic. Not sure how they got there. This particular CB had been sitting on my ball rack/shelf for probably 2-3 years since it was used last.

Anyway, anybody have any idea how I can get this CB clean, back to looking almost new again?

r/DCP

Attachments

• Measles#1.JPG
    Measles#1.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 652

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching Nick Varner's show in Evansville this past Saturday I decided to grab my Measles/Pro Cup CB and play some with it. Its what Nick, and the others, were playing with on the Olhausen table this past Saturday.

However, after a day or two it got all of those dirty little spots on it. You can see the pic. Not sure how they got there. This particular CB had been sitting on my ball rack/shelf for probably 2-3 years since it was used last.

Anyway, anybody have any idea how I can get this CB clean, back to looking almost new again?

r/DCP

That is some odd looking marks there, were you breaking with it with a phenolic tip while you were practicing? What chalk were you using?

I use the measles ball at home and also at a few pool halls but have never seen what you have there.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, not using a phenolic tip. I believe the tip on my break cue is a Water Buffalo.

And it was Masters chalk.

Would the fact that it sat on the shelf for 2-3 years have anything to do with it?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Nope, not using a phenolic tip. I believe the tip on my break cue is a Water Buffalo.

And it was Masters chalk.

Would the fact that it sat on the shelf for 2-3 years have anything to do with it?

Did you try soap and water? Maybe the ball developed some schmegma (thats stuff that doesnt really have a name) from sitting around. I would not use wax on it if it were mine but you would be OK using automotive polish on it to clean it.

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess those marks are from hitting the back of the pocket and not from the cuetip.

Either way, I would use Aramith ball cleaner. If that doesn't seem to be working, try the Aramith ball restorer...a little more aggressive.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure that's a legit Aramith measles ball? There are some cheap knock-offs that leave marks like that, but I've never seen that on mine.

Something a little abrasive, like magic eraser with some soap or ball cleaner, has always left my balls clean and minty fresh.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you have a cheaper imitation (not authentic Aramith) measles ball, sir.

Anyone else want to chime in with close-up pics of their Aramith measles ball from their Tournament TV set? I’m traveling and don’t have any of mine available.

It’s in the dot details.

- certainly don’t use a magic eraser or soap and water of any kind

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rub my CB on my shirt every time I have BIH. It helps to keep the marks from accumulating.

I also use the aramith ball cleaner by hand and it makes a huge difference. Then the diamond polisher. Unfortunately, those balls always get dirty.

If you want a set that stays clean a LONG time, buy a set of Cyclop. I know some people hate them, but they legit will stay way, way, way, cleaner.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it could be an imitation CB. Just don't remember.

I just tried soapy water and that didn't seem to help much. Then I tried Comet and that seemed to help but just a little. Then I tried toothpaste. I figured if it will clean ferrules it might clean this ball. It seemed to work pretty good.

Not sure if I should have used Comet and then toothpaste on this CB but since I just got a brand new measles Aramith Pro Cup in the mail today I guess I wont worry about this one.

r/DCP

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:withstupid:

I have both sets and after 18+months using cyclop set,
I went back to the super pros, for about 9 months now.

The quickness with which the aramiths dirty up is bordering on maddening.

Always maintain decorum, when faced with provocation.
I rub my CB on my shirt every time I have BIH. It helps to keep the marks from accumulating.

I also use the aramith ball cleaner by hand and it makes a huge difference. Then the diamond polisher. Unfortunately, those balls always get dirty.

If you want a set that stays clean a LONG time, buy a set of Cyclop. I know some people hate them, but they legit will stay way, way, way, cleaner.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If those aren't cracks caused by phenolic tip, you can try Aramith Ball Cleaner. Toothpaste can work in a pinch, would wipe afterwards with alcohol to remove solvent residue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess those marks are from hitting the back of the pocket and not from the cuetip.

Either way, I would use Aramith ball cleaner. If that doesn't seem to be working, try the Aramith ball restorer...a little more aggressive.

At first I thought no way are they from the pocket, but the shape of them is a bit all over the place, some of them are farly round, some are smudged, some are darker. Of course that may also be from hitting the same spot with the tip and messing up the other marks.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that drywall on that cb, dcp?

Still one of the best stories on azb. Seriously: I feel your pain

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you have a cheaper imitation (not authentic Aramith) measles ball, sir.

Anyone else want to chime in with close-up pics of their Aramith measles ball from their Tournament TV set? I’m traveling and don’t have any of mine available.

It’s in the dot details.

- certainly don’t use a magic eraser or soap and water of any kind

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magic eraser will ruin the ball. Water is fine. As for soap, depends on the soap. I'd probably just use aramith ball cleaner though.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
That is some odd looking marks there, were you breaking with it with a phenolic tip while you were practicing? What chalk were you using?

I use the measles ball at home and also at a few pool halls but have never seen what you have there.

Ive been using mine for about 10 years now... looks nothing DCP's

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy;

Only thing I can ask is was it on the shelf in a room where there was smoking?
Long time ago (late 60's), I was given a "busy work" job of cleaning the ceiling tiles
in an office, more then 30 desks, that had been in operation 24/7 for over 20 years.
Ceiling looked to be a yellowish brown color. After a few squirts of Formula 409
and a rub or 2 with a damp rag those tiles turned a nice bright White.

All that to suggest that if they were in a nicotine environment ya may have hammered
the nicotine into the polymer ...:sorry:

hank

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A magic eraser pad with doused with some denatured alcohol and some serious hand scrubbing/buffing, and I'd recommend having some latex gloves on while you're doing it to keep the alcohol off your hands. Should get virtually all of that off the ball within a few minutes.