9ball World Championship, Doha, Qatar 2012

TheThaiger

Banned
Many players will disagree, but I feel static electricity is another reason
for skids in dry conditions.
We discussed this at a snooker tournament years ago, and we came up
with 7 different reasons for 'skids' or 'kicks'.
When a ref changed his nylon gloves for cotton gloves, a lot of skids
stopped happening in a Jimmy White match.

That theory was mooted a couple of times during commentary at the last world champs, after many years of it being virtually discounted. Personally, I don't think that's very likely.

The Beeb has fantastic super slo-mo footage of what happens to the CB immediately after contact with the tip - it's amazing how much the CB bounces before it gets to its target, and how the balls bounce on contact, which is impossible to see in 'real time'. The vast majority of kicks are caused by poor cueing.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Ralf escapes this, he may not have another weak match in him. I guess i do know his weakness now though- safties.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is interesting and frustrating.

I dont know why it happens, I only know that 'It skidded'-is my #2 favorite excuse for missing.:eek:

I didn't search the forums, but- I seem to remember a discussion of Efren cueing low left/right to avoid skid on small angle cuts where shape considerations permit.

Something about preventing the cb chalk spot from hitting the ob contact point as the cb rotates, and helping the ob to roll immediately after contact.

I've heard straight pool players complain that their run was ended by a ball that skidded.

What say the physics guys? Bob Jewitt/Dr Dave?

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
What is the difference between sliding and skidding? Not being a horse's arse but I just don't know the difference as it relates to pool.

Thanks,
JoeyA

First of all, my language is not english.

As I perceive it, when a ball skids, or kicks, the cueball and/or the object ball jump(s) enough at the contact to influence the natural way and speed of the cueball and/or the object ball.

When the cueball and/or the object ball slide(s), the natural way of the cueball and/or the object ball is not modified, or not significantly.

On new cloth the balls are sliding a lot but are skidding less. On old and dirty cloth the balls are skidding frequently, but are less sliding.

I hope that I'm clear enough to be understand ;)

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never a question

way to go Ralf. take it all the way for your fans.

his slow play doesn't fail him often now does it. Maybe some people should try to adopt a more focus game and speed, hopefully that would bring their average up a bit.

but i guess that's why they are so active in forums.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched part of the Souquet and Van den berg match.

The camera work is pretty good but not as exceptional as I expected after reading all the accolades.

I like the replay and close ups.

But my complaint is the speed of play!!

Nick took 5 minutes or so to try and hit the ball 3 rail kick.

With BIH - Ralf took over a minute to shoot. Only 5 balls on the table - none tied up - only one within 2 inches of the rail.

He took 2 full minutes to shoot the 5 ball - which was only 4 inches from the side pocket. (He made a great shot to get the shape on the 6 ball by drawing 2 rails).

Took 47 seconds to shoot the six, but missed shape on the 7 in the side (or corner).
He took 110 seconds to MISS the 7 ball. (I think he shot the 7 to the wrong pocket- but who am I to tell Ralf he made a mistake - lol)

He just stalled himself out - you could see it from the first approach to the table.

But the issue is there needs to be a SHOT CLOCK.

Mark Griffin

PS - I really like Ralf but he is tough to watch - and in this match Nick was not any better.

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The camera work is pretty good but not as exceptional as I expected after reading all the accolades.

With BIH - Ralf took over a minute to shoot. Only 5 balls on the table - none tied up - only one within 2 inches of the rail.

He took 2 full minutes to shoot the 5 ball - which was only 4 inches from the side pocket. (He made a great shot to get the shape on the 6 ball by drawing 2 rails).

Took 47 seconds to shoot the six, but missed shape on the 7 in the side (or corner).
He took 110 seconds to MISS the 7 ball. (I think he shot the 7 to the wrong pocket- but who am I to tell Ralf he made a mistake - lol)

He just stalled himself out - you could see it from the first approach to the table.

Mark Griffin

PS - I really like Ralf but he is tough to watch - and in this match Nick was not any better.

Ralf plays slow to shark his apponent. It works pretty good for him too.

Elwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark, I could not agree with you more! I respect Ralf and his great career, but there is absolutely no reason to play as sloooooow as he does! I've gotten to the point that I can't watch him play anymore.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

Maybe BigTruck will take that 5 minute 3 rail kick and put it on youtube to cut me some slack on my 2 rail kick against Robb Saez. :grin:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ralf plays slow to shark his apponent. It works pretty good for him too.

Yes, another attribute that helps Ralf win matches is that he's one of the best pool players that ever lived. I also think he plays pool with more sportsmanship than any player since Irving Crane.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that Ralf plays slowly, but he makes all the right choices and tends to execute those choices with as much accuracy as any player alive. Like you, I'd favor the use of the shot clock in every single match at the pro level in all major WPA events.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is interesting and frustrating.

I dont know why it happens, I only know that 'It skidded'-is my #2 favorite excuse for missing.:eek:

I didn't search the forums, but- I seem to remember a discussion of Efren cueing low left/right to avoid skid on small angle cuts where shape considerations permit.

Something about preventing the cb chalk spot from hitting the ob contact point as the cb rotates, and helping the ob to roll immediately after contact.

I've heard straight pool players complain that their run was ended by a ball that skidded.

What say the physics guys? Bob Jewitt/Dr Dave?

I saw a 208 end on a clear skid.

Charles M

Registered
Wpa regulations provide for a shot clock

The applicable WPA regulations provide as follows and it appears that the implementation of a shot clock is within the discretion of the Tournament Director.

19. Shot Clock
A shot clock may be requested at any time during a match by a tournament official or either player involved in that match. The tournament director or other appointed official decides whether to use a shot clock or not. Should a shot clock be introduced, both players will be “on the clock” and there will be an official timekeeper for the duration of the match. As a recommendation, players will have 35 seconds per shot with a warning when 10 seconds remain. Each player will be allowed one 25-second extension during each rack. The shot clock will be started when all balls come to rest, including spinning balls. The shot clock will end when the cue tip strikes the cue ball to initiate a stroke or the when player’s time expires from the shot clock. If a player runs out of time, it will be a standard foul.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Joey
I know that it is difficult to understand but the people in Qatar and in the UAE look on things differently. Every event in Qatar has been covered to a pretty high standard by Al Jazeera Sport. Not just matches but magazine style coverage. But the promoters don't seem bothered about it being seen outside their own little world.
The WPA are putting on their events at about a third of the money that Matchroom used to budget. As long as they employ this policy then things will only change very slowly.

Doug,
It looks like they've done a great job with the livestream except for no English commentary. The advertising of it was a bit lacking on our side of the globe but we found it well enough.

I really liked the high quality HD images and the camera work, especially the slow motion repeat of previous shots and who wouldn't like the highlighted tables and the rest of the arena slightly darkened?

Would love to do commentary in Qatar or UAE.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralf committed a mental error in 2nd to last shot of the final game of quarter final match on the 7 ball, he picked corner pocket very tough cut, side pocket would have been easier to make, and position, he missed the 7 but lucked out and left a tough shot for Van, he made the 7 but kissed the 9 and scratched in the side pocket, they would have been hill-hill..and who knows if it did who would have won!
I expect Lee He Wen to take it all, unbelievably calm person, next in line Darren Appleton, Ralf no match for Lee He Wen

He had a little tough time with his back in last 6 mos but he looks to be fine now. When Ralf is Ralf, bet on Ralf. It's worked for me.

He isnt gonna rattle, aint gonna choke and sure as hell isnt gonna commit a mental error. Hard to beat that. and i LOVE his 9 ball break.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralf committed a mental error in 2nd to last shot of the final game of quarter final match on the 7 ball, he picked corner pocket very tough cut, side pocket would have been easier to make, and position, he missed the 7 but lucked out and left a tough shot for Van, he made the 7 but kissed the 9 and scratched in the side pocket, they would have been hill-hill..and who knows if it did who would have won!
I expect Lee He Wen to take it all, unbelievably calm person, next in line Darren Appleton, Ralf no match for Lee He Wen

Cmon dude-some people are more comfortable with one shot and others with another. You think he snoozed the side pocket? Gimme abreak. He had his reasons.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'll take Ralf over Lee Wen. Are you on the GA list?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doug,
It looks like they've done a great job with the livestream except for no English commentary. The advertising of it was a bit lacking on our side of the globe but we found it well enough.

I really liked the high quality HD images and the camera work, especially the slow motion repeat of previous shots and who wouldn't like the highlighted tables and the rest of the arena slightly darkened?

Would love to do commentary in Qatar or UAE.

If they pay our expenses I'll do it with you. :grin: