How do you repair a mushroomed tip?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dale, Thanks for your constructive input to this thread. I've tried trimming tips with a single edge razor blade. I could never get it perfect.

Is there something wrong with my avatar? Chalking the cue is a whole different subject. The avatar looks like a legitimate one-handed chalking method to me.

But seriously, why do you never get it perfect? If holding/gripping/controlling the
razor blade is your problem, the box cutter frame solves that. In my own case, the
exposed sharp edge is a concern - fear of slicing open a finger is often with me. Box
cutter overcomes that one also.

Single edge blades are about 10x as sharp as utility blades, but you do attack the tip
at a slight angle - if that is a problem you could start the trim at the edge of the ferrule
with a utility knife, then finish up with a razor blade. The key idea is you must whittle
away a little bit at a time when doing a tip by hand and the final step is sanding very
carefully.

One hand...

After several decades around the game in most all of its aspects - I can say without
reservation, one hand chalking is good for one thing, and one thing only, transferring
vast amounts of chalk dust onto your hand, shaft, table bed, clothing, car seats,
carpets, and lawn.

Dale

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm surprised that so many of you have trouble with tips mushrooming. I've played pool since I was 11 and I don't think I've had it happen before. Maybe because I've never played with particularly soft tips. I just usually shape and burnish once in a while to keep it in shape. On a related note I've been looking at the Willard tip machine for replacing tips. I know it's expensive but might be cool to do tips for people. Does anyone know if it works with shafts under 12 mm though?

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
this works very well
you can buy them from andyho1984
they are priced fair as i remember but shipping was alot since they are shipped from the far east as i best recall...icbw

Because he's based in Asia. Its the same when he buys stuffs from US. Shipping is always a b!tch.

Balabushka_Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that so many of you have trouble with tips mushrooming. I've played pool since I was 11 and I don't think I've had it happen before. Maybe because I've never played with particularly soft tips. I just usually shape and burnish once in a while to keep it in shape. On a related note I've been looking at the Willard tip machine for replacing tips. I know it's expensive but might be cool to do tips for people. Does anyone know if it works with shafts under 12 mm though?

Yes all sizes...
Here's a link...

http://www.muellers.com/Willard-Tipping-Machine-Replacement-Tip-Holder,522.html

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had lathe-like quality using a combination of the Pocket Lathe and the Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer.

With my one-handed chalking technique I only do a few swipes across the tip. My buddy does a one-handed chalk over the table for two minutes while he's trying to figure out the next shot.

I still like my avatar... so there.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use one of those yellow carpenter-pencil-sharpeners to trim the walls of my tip. They only cost a few bucks and they work very well. You can trim the walls parallel to the shaft, but I give my tip walls a small angle (like a pencil tip)...that way the tip walls open to parallel as the tip gets broken in

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had lathe-like quality using a combination of the Pocket Lathe and the Joe Porper's Pool Mushroom Grazer Cue Tip Tool Trimmer.

With my one-handed chalking technique I only do a few swipes across the tip. My buddy does a one-handed chalk over the table for two minutes while he's trying to figure out the next shot.

I still like my avatar... so there.

Glad you figured out your mushrooming problem. Honestly, patience is the only thing you need to fix a mushrooming tip. You can handle it with sandpaper or a nail file. :)

One handed chalking is great, all that matters is that you look at the tip and make sure it is covered in chalk. I honestly can't imagine a "two handed" chalking technique. :) I would have to try really hard to do that!

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took my cue to Triple Nines in Laurel, MD last. I had several miss cues. I showed my tip to a cue maker who was there. He noticed right away that I had a layered tip. He said that layered should be shaped on a lathe at at least 35rmp. And that trying to sand the shape on a layered tip was hard to do, and the tip was vulnerable to miss cue.

I tried scuffing the tip and I didn't miscue after that.

Anybody else have experience in shaping a layered tip?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I do all of mine by hand. Most times that I miss cue, is because I didn't stay down on the shot and make a smooth stroke

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a laminated tip it will never shroom again.

Depends on the brand and model. The several Kamui Soft Black tips I used have all had a bit of a mushroom on them and needed a bit of upkeep. I had an old school Moori back in the day and I think that one also mushroomed, the new Mooris did for sure and also played like doo doo. So far the only tip I have used that needed 0 touching to fix anything is the Ki-Tech one I got from Renfro.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took my cue to Triple Nines in Laurel, MD last. I had several miss cues. I showed my tip to a cue maker who was there. He noticed right away that I had a layered tip. He said that layered should be shaped on a lathe at at least 35rmp. And that trying to sand the shape on a layered tip was hard to do, and the tip was vulnerable to miss cue.

I tried scuffing the tip and I didn't miscue after that.

Anybody else have experience in shaping a layered tip?

Installing a layered tip is often different than a regular one, and the makers always provide instructions, the authorized resellers and installers should know exactly what tricks certain tips need. I had a cue maker install a Kamui Black for me once, that fell apart, he got another one from Kamui along with some notes and it never happened again. The Ki-Tech tip also had some special instruction although it's a single layer but treated, the cue maker followed those and that tip has been perfect ever since.

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pocket Lathe put scratches and dings on my shaft. I took my Joss cue to Dan Janes. He made all the repairs at no charge. He suggested I give the Pocket Lathe to someone I don't like.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you repair a mushroomed tip?

Assumes that a mushroomed tip is a defect and harms your shooting.
Unwarranted assumption.
Illogical conclusion.

Peter Ebdon won the 2006 World Snooker Championship.
Here is a photo of his tip. :D

Attachments

• peter ebdon tip.JPG
    peter ebdon tip.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 297