Reload this Page Base of Ball or Edge of Ball
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
nine ball fudge factor
Old
  (#16)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

nine ball fudge factor - 05-24-2019, 07:07 PM

I have found nine ball players to be the worst about fudging the line on the break. Some will argue that if any part of the cue ball is in the kitchen it is in the kitchen. More commonly they place the cue ball an inch or more in front of the line. If you object you are being nitty. If you don't object, the cue ball creeps forward a little further every time they break until they are two or three inches in front of the line, I have seen a full half of a diamond!

Hu

Touching the line is in the kitchen
Old
  (#17)
mattb
AzB Silver Member
mattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Touching the line is in the kitchen - 05-24-2019, 07:14 PM

First off we have a line on ALL the tables marking both the kitchen and the line directly behind the spot for spotting balls at the club I go too. This saves a lot of headaches and potential arguments.

But we play that if any part of the ball is on that kitchen line its in the kitchen. We all play by the same rules but if you are new to a place and unsure then you better ask.

10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

I was arrested and the judge said life in prison, or you can join an APA league. I wish now that I had taken the prison term.

Old
  (#18)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
First off we have a line on ALL the tables marking both the kitchen and the line directly behind the spot for spotting balls at the club I go too. This saves a lot of headaches and potential arguments.

But we play that if any part of the ball is on that kitchen line its in the kitchen. We all play by the same rules but if you are new to a place and unsure then you better ask.
I can live with that....although I much prefer the base of the ball, like world rules.
....itís fair

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
mattb
AzB Silver Member
mattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I can live with that....although I much prefer the base of the ball, like world rules.
....itís fair
The issue becomes is where is the base of the ball actually at? It can be so thin of a margin it causes issues.

10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

I was arrested and the judge said life in prison, or you can join an APA league. I wish now that I had taken the prison term.

Old
  (#20)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-24-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
The issue becomes is where is the base of the ball actually at? It can be so thin of a margin it causes issues.
Choosing any boundary causes issues. It's just a line in a different place.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#21)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2019, 08:58 PM

I play it just like you do when you "spot" a ball.

If you can't spot the ball in the "center" of the spot, the ball is spotted behind it.

You never spot a ball on the front edge of the spot and consider it "spotted". You place the "center' of the ball on the "center" of the spot.

Therefore, the center of the ball should be what is considered when placing the cue ball on the head string.

How can the "center" of the ball be considered as the reference point on one end of the table and not the other?

Old
  (#22)
fiftyyardline
AzB Silver Member

fiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond reputefiftyyardline has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Like Bob said - it is best to play by the rules. Fractions of an inch are important - a difference of 1/16” or 1/32” can make a big difference in cueball or object ball contact - so if we are good at that, why is it so hard to eyeball the cueball from the side, see the middle, and project the vertical line down to approximate the base. “Any part of the ball is on that kitchen line” ?? - that could put the cueball as much as 1 1/8” past the kitchen line.

Last edited by fiftyyardline; 05-24-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Digit error

Old
  (#23)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2019, 07:16 AM

Thank you for clarification of the rule. In the league I play in we play edge of ball and that’s ok because we are all on the same page.

That said, that extra inch you get with base of ball is nice on the break when aiming for second ball from the side rail. You get a little nicer angle into the rack. Also if there is a scratch on the break, we play in the kitchen on scratch on break., you will have more options for any balls on the line or a better line with the cue ball on your first shot,

Old
  (#24)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

05-25-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
I have found nine ball players to be the worst about fudging the line on the break. Some will argue that if any part of the cue ball is in the kitchen it is in the kitchen. More commonly they place the cue ball an inch or more in front of the line. If you object you are being nitty. If you don't object, the cue ball creeps forward a little further every time they break until they are two or three inches in front of the line, I have seen a full half of a diamond!

Hu
I used to like guys taking an edge like shooting from ahead of the line...
...if I loved the game I had made.
...showed the guy had larceny....they were good for a bigger loss.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: