Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page my ongoing saga of achieving a decent 9 ball break
Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 23
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
my ongoing saga of achieving a decent 9 ball break
Old
  (#1)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: memphis
   
my ongoing saga of achieving a decent 9 ball break - 06-24-2019, 04:01 AM

I have lamented several times on here about my lousy 9 ball break. I have always hated 9 ball and sometimes still do but I have gotten a little more serious about the game since it is a requirement in apa double jeapordy .

I have practiced on nothing but the break many times. Experimented with different locations and different speeds . I have even went through several break cues looking for the magic wand. I have even blamed the disability in my shooting hand on occasion but at other times refuse to accept that as an excuse.

Sometimes it seemed like I had it figured out because I broke good one night but then the next time I broke exactly the same way and had lousy results. This has happened way too many times. I have even asked for pointers from better players with mixed results.

Its an oxymoron being the best 9 ball player on my team and having the worst break of any of my team mates. I aint kidding when I say a girl who is a 3 has a better break than I do.

Like I said....i have went through a few break cues and sometimes even borrowed my opponents breaker during our matches looking for that magic breaker.

I faced a 7 Friday night who I am very friendly with . I used his breaker a few times with decent results and he used mine once and said he did not like it ...actually he said it was no good...i replied I thought it was just me lol.

He has a poison and its light as a feather. So i thought about ordering me one. Then it dawned on me. I have a cue sitting in the closet that is real light with and has a break tip on it. I don't know what the tip is called....its actually a one piece tip/ ferrule combo. Its transparent. I have never seen another one like it. I bought this cue 10 years ago for 20.00 at a pawn shop. It came with 2 shafts . The other shaft has a regular leather tip on it.

So I dug it out of the closet and took it to league last night. I did ok breaking 8 ball with it. Well they dumped a 3 on me in 9 ball and I thought aww crap. So I decided I better check every rack before I broke . To my surprise she gave me a good rack every time and I never had to ask for a rerack.

I broke 5 times ..never scratched. Made a ball 4 times and she was hooked on my one dry break. Had a look at the next ball in the other 4 racks and easy shots in 3 of them.
Held the cue ball in the middle of the table every time and nothing knocked the cue ball in which I have had happen way many times.

One night is too early to tell if I found my magic breaker but I am happy with last nights results.
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Online
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MD
   
06-24-2019, 05:45 AM

9 ball can be a really fun game on a 7’ table. But not if you’re breaking dry I suppose lol.

I love template racks but unfortunately we can’t always use the things. When I’m having trouble making the wing ball even with tight racks, I’ll go to a slight cut break. Usually from 1 diamond in and I’ll hit just slightly low on the cue ball. That normally makes the 1 in the side and you just have to be conscious of where the 2 is in the rack. Or you can go with the full cut break, hit the 1 about 3/4 full with low outside. With that though I usually get the wing ball and bring 1 and CB up top.

I don’t know if there is a magic cue for breaking. I’ve got a bk3, light with phenolic tip that works really well...but sometimes I go with my cheap 21oz action break/jump when I feel like a heavy hitting slower break. My playing cue has a 314 with a water buffalo tip and especially with 9 ball on small tables I use it to break as well and it’s freakin sweet. Just some thoughts
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute
 
Maniac's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 6,397
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
   
06-24-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post

I donít know if there is a magic cue for breaking. Iíve got a bk3, light with phenolic tip that works really well...but sometimes I go with my cheap 21oz action break/jump when I feel like a heavy hitting slower break. My playing cue has a 314 with a water buffalo tip and especially with 9 ball on small tables I use it to break as well and itís freakin sweet. Just some thoughts
IMHO there is no magical break cue, I often see that many pros don't always stick with the same break cue whether they are sponsored or not.

FTR, I also have a cheap Action J/B cue (@19oz.) that I use at home and yet another in my case that I take to "dive" bars when I'm going alone. Those cues break a rack of 8 and 9-ball as good as any cue I've ever broke with.

So there you have it. Is a successful 9-ball break about the cue...or technique...or strength? I don't know, but my feeling is that it is a combination of the three and not just on the cue itself. I believe the cue may be the lesser component of a good break.

I'm not a very good shooter/player but I have a high percentage of balls made on my breaks coupled with acceptable cue ball control, so I feel like my response on this thread is somewhat valid.

Lorider...I don't know what to tell you, but I admire your willingness to work at what you love. Keep experimenting. Someday, hopefully, something will click and it will just all fall into place.

Maniac


Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly



"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute
 
logical's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern fringe of the Motor City suburbs
   
06-24-2019, 07:01 AM

My break cue is a 19ish oz Joss Thor Hammer, a fairly highly rated, well-reviewed break cue. It feels good but I was never really convinced any cue is particularly better than another for breaking. I really consider the only reason to carry a break cue is to avoid wear and tear on your playing cue. The primary thing people look for in a break cue is the ability to hit the cue hard so the other night I tried 5 different cues. I hit each as hard as practical against the foot rail from about 6 inches off the head rail on a 9 ft Gold Crown. I used my Joss Thor Hammer, a 25 oz generic sneaky pete break cue, my crappiest feeling novelty cue (a Winston Tobacco promo cue with a painted shaft), a player with a 12.75mm Jacoby Edge Hybrid w/med Kamui tip, and a Viking Crush Shaft (Vikings basic break cue, phenolic tip).

Purely judging how many times the cue went up and down the table when hit card center ball....there wasn't 5% difference between them.

I think a good 9 ball break is all about technique, there are dozens of theories about the best approach. But as far as cue, I think it makes little difference. Unless you are breaking in a way that relies on a significant amount of English/control any cue will hit a ball hard. If you just want to hit it hard, the only real advantage of a break cue is maybe the fact that you'll be less likely to hold back subconsciously like you might on an expensive player.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
vinay
AzB Bronze Member
vinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond reputevinay has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New York, NY
   
06-24-2019, 07:44 AM

To break well in 9-ball you need (1) a tight rack (2) an accurate hit. A lot of people try to crush rack and end up hitting the 1-ball off-center so the cue ball retains most of its speed and goes flying around the table while the ball pack remains clustered up.

My advice is not to worry about the cue you're using to break and focus more on ensuring that there are no gaps in the rack (this can be difficult on worn cloth with cheap plastic racks), and that you're hitting the 1-ball right perfectly square. Ideally, the cue ball should stop dead when it hits the 1 unless it gets kissed by another ball.

You need to aim your break shot as carefully as you would aim any other shot.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
lakeman77
AzB Silver Member
lakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond reputelakeman77 has a reputation beyond repute
 
lakeman77's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 623
vCash: 2900
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2010
   
06-24-2019, 08:34 AM

I have the Predator break speed app on my phone. All my cues generate about the same cue ball speed, break cues or playing cues. Maybe 5% difference. Seems to me it's all about accuracy and technique.
Get the app and give different cues a try. Good luck.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2011
   
06-24-2019, 09:39 AM

I have a BK3. My Predator app says I max out around 24-25mph, I do what Siegal told me, hit em as hard as you can and hope for the best.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute
 
misterpoole's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2005
   
06-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay View Post

You need to aim your break shot as carefully as you would aim any other shot.
I have had my own struggles with the break and still do, but i think the 'aim' may be different with the break. Try set your aim and then make sure you are looking at the cue ball
and not the 1, when you strike. You want to hit the cueball dead centre. Have a relaxed grip like you would with any other shot. Practice practice practice.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,110
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Boone, NC
   
06-24-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
I have lamented several times on here about my lousy 9 ball break. I have always hated 9 ball and sometimes still do but I have gotten a little more serious about the game since it is a requirement in apa double jeapordy .

I have practiced on nothing but the break many times. Experimented with different locations and different speeds . I have even went through several break cues looking for the magic wand. I have even blamed the disability in my shooting hand on occasion but at other times refuse to accept that as an excuse.

Sometimes it seemed like I had it figured out because I broke good one night but then the next time I broke exactly the same way and had lousy results. This has happened way too many times. I have even asked for pointers from better players with mixed results.

Its an oxymoron being the best 9 ball player on my team and having the worst break of any of my team mates. I aint kidding when I say a girl who is a 3 has a better break than I do.

Like I said....i have went through a few break cues and sometimes even borrowed my opponents breaker during our matches looking for that magic breaker.

I faced a 7 Friday night who I am very friendly with . I used his breaker a few times with decent results and he used mine once and said he did not like it ...actually he said it was no good...i replied I thought it was just me lol.

He has a poison and its light as a feather. So i thought about ordering me one. Then it dawned on me. I have a cue sitting in the closet that is real light with and has a break tip on it. I don't know what the tip is called....its actually a one piece tip/ ferrule combo. Its transparent. I have never seen another one like it. I bought this cue 10 years ago for 20.00 at a pawn shop. It came with 2 shafts . The other shaft has a regular leather tip on it.

So I dug it out of the closet and took it to league last night. I did ok breaking 8 ball with it. Well they dumped a 3 on me in 9 ball and I thought aww crap. So I decided I better check every rack before I broke . To my surprise she gave me a good rack every time and I never had to ask for a rerack.

I broke 5 times ..never scratched. Made a ball 4 times and she was hooked on my one dry break. Had a look at the next ball in the other 4 racks and easy shots in 3 of them.
Held the cue ball in the middle of the table every time and nothing knocked the cue ball in which I have had happen way many times.

One night is too early to tell if I found my magic breaker but I am happy with last nights results.
Breaking is certainly not a strong part of my game either, but I can tell you that there are a number of variables that affect how you should go about breaking a 9-ball rack - particularly whether you are using a template rack or a standard rack, whether the 9-ball is being racked on the spot or the 1-ball on the spot, who is racking the balls and if they are getting them tight, which when using a standard rack can be virtually impossible when using an older set of balls.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
vginaman
AzB Bronze Member
vginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond reputevginaman has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2015
   
06-24-2019, 01:04 PM

Over exaggerate the follow through. The technique that clicked with me is to make sure your bridge hand ends up past the end of the shaft. For me, that makes the cue ball spin and sit no matter how hard i hit it.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
cubswin
Just call me Joe...
cubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond repute
 
cubswin's Avatar
 
Status: Online
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Indiana
   
06-24-2019, 02:15 PM

My break is one thing I do well, and I use a light cue with a white diamond tip. I can manipulate where the balls are going depending on where I break from. The biggest issue I have is if I get my grip too tight on the butt, or break too hard. If I concentrate on hitting them soft, and making good contact on the 1 ball my breaks are pretty damn good.

If I start breaking too hard, I'll tend to scratch in the side.


""It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,837
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2006
   
06-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
I have lamented several times on here about my lousy 9 ball break. I have always hated 9 ball and sometimes still do but I have gotten a little more serious about the game since it is a requirement in apa double jeapordy .

I have practiced on nothing but the break many times. Experimented with different locations and different speeds . I have even went through several break cues looking for the magic wand. I have even blamed the disability in my shooting hand on occasion but at other times refuse to accept that as an excuse.

Sometimes it seemed like I had it figured out because I broke good one night but then the next time I broke exactly the same way and had lousy results. This has happened way too many times. I have even asked for pointers from better players with mixed results.

Its an oxymoron being the best 9 ball player on my team and having the worst break of any of my team mates. I aint kidding when I say a girl who is a 3 has a better break than I do.

Like I said....i have went through a few break cues and sometimes even borrowed my opponents breaker during our matches looking for that magic breaker.

I faced a 7 Friday night who I am very friendly with . I used his breaker a few times with decent results and he used mine once and said he did not like it ...actually he said it was no good...i replied I thought it was just me lol.

He has a poison and its light as a feather. So i thought about ordering me one. Then it dawned on me. I have a cue sitting in the closet that is real light with and has a break tip on it. I don't know what the tip is called....its actually a one piece tip/ ferrule combo. Its transparent. I have never seen another one like it. I bought this cue 10 years ago for 20.00 at a pawn shop. It came with 2 shafts . The other shaft has a regular leather tip on it.

So I dug it out of the closet and took it to league last night. I did ok breaking 8 ball with it. Well they dumped a 3 on me in 9 ball and I thought aww crap. So I decided I better check every rack before I broke . To my surprise she gave me a good rack every time and I never had to ask for a rerack.

I broke 5 times ..never scratched. Made a ball 4 times and she was hooked on my one dry break. Had a look at the next ball in the other 4 racks and easy shots in 3 of them.
Held the cue ball in the middle of the table every time and nothing knocked the cue ball in which I have had happen way many times.

One night is too early to tell if I found my magic breaker but I am happy with last nights results.

I was waiting to see if you were going to get around to mentioning the rack. You did, but did not seem to recognize its importance. If you are not getting a consistently frozen rack, any changes you make to your break, equipment, whatever, are random shots in the dark. By a 100 miles the most important element of a 9 ball break is the rack. If you want to verify this for yourself, spend a session breaking with the magic rack. See how you like the results. Break from the side rail, hit the one ball square. Very hard not to make the corner ball. Same is true with a triangle rack if the balls are racked tightly.

Hope it helps,

KMRUNOUT
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
9andout
Gunnin' for a 2 pack!!
9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute
 
9andout's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mt. Delaware
   
06-24-2019, 02:55 PM

I haven't tried it. It's a little pricey but.....
I think the "Break Rack" was / is a great product.
https://breakrak.com/


In training for the "Senior Division" By then I might actually be decent! Still love Earl!!
Lover of shot clocks!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: memphis
   
06-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
IMHO there is no magical break cue, I often see that many pros don't always stick with the same break cue whether they are sponsored or not.

FTR, I also have a cheap Action J/B cue (@19oz.) that I use at home and yet another in my case that I take to "dive" bars when I'm going alone. Those cues break a rack of 8 and 9-ball as good as any cue I've ever broke with.

So there you have it. Is a successful 9-ball break about the cue...or technique...or strength? I don't know, but my feeling is that it is a combination of the three and not just on the cue itself. I believe the cue may be the lesser component of a good break.

I'm not a very good shooter/player but I have a high percentage of balls made on my breaks coupled with acceptable cue ball control, so I feel like my response on this thread is somewhat valid.

Lorider...I don't know what to tell you, but I admire your willingness to work at what you love. Keep experimenting. Someday, hopefully, something will click and it will just all fall into place.

Maniac
Thanks maniac. yea I know there is no such animal as a magic cue. There are cues that for whatever reason just feel better in your hands than others. I have around 12 cues and play about the same level with with all of them.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: memphis
   
06-24-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
My break cue is a 19ish oz Joss Thor Hammer, a fairly highly rated, well-reviewed break cue. It feels good but I was never really convinced any cue is particularly better than another for breaking. I really consider the only reason to carry a break cue is to avoid wear and tear on your playing cue. The primary thing people look for in a break cue is the ability to hit the cue hard so the other night I tried 5 different cues. I hit each as hard as practical against the foot rail from about 6 inches off the head rail on a 9 ft Gold Crown. I used my Joss Thor Hammer, a 25 oz generic sneaky pete break cue, my crappiest feeling novelty cue (a Winston Tobacco promo cue with a painted shaft), a player with a 12.75mm Jacoby Edge Hybrid w/med Kamui tip, and a Viking Crush Shaft (Vikings basic break cue, phenolic tip).

Purely judging how many times the cue went up and down the table when hit card center ball....there wasn't 5% difference between them.

I think a good 9 ball break is all about technique, there are dozens of theories about the best approach. But as far as cue, I think it makes little difference. Unless you are breaking in a way that relies on a significant amount of English/control any cue will hit a ball hard. If you just want to hit it hard, the only real advantage of a break cue is maybe the fact that you'll be less likely to hold back subconsciously like you might on an expensive player.
I bought a Viking when I decided ti join league and used it as a break cue also. Needless to say the too did not last long so I switched to a water buffalo . Then later on I decided to have a player and a breaker....just like all the other league players lol..

So I bought another cue and relegated the Viking to strictly breaking.. Then some one broke the viking ...not me lol and I bought an alex brick dymond wood jump/ break.

The brick is the only cue I regret getting rid of.. The breaking results were so so just like all my other break cues to date but I could jump like a pro using the full cue per apa rules. Funny story about the brick.. I was playing 9 ball vs another 5 at the time and there was a lil animosity between us and I was goin and determined not to lose to him. Well he day breaks and I are no possible way to get on the 1 ball. Bound and determined not to give him ball in hand I decided ti grab the brick and make a jump shot. Now mind you I had never attempted a jump shot in my life but I saw no alternative to make contact with the one. So my opponent is standing there watching me line up a jump shot...lo and behold ...not only do I make a successful jump I picket the 1 in the intended corner pocket. My opponent then yells ....hey you cant do that.! . I reply...if you are going to be a captain you better learn the rules. He had quit my team and became captain of his own team without giving me any notice thus the animosity. He takes off across the room looking for the league operator. He comes back in a few minutes but never said anything so I continue shooting. Later on the lo sees me and says. I did not know you could jump. I replied neither did I cause I had never attempted a jump shot before and we both started laughing. One night playing a 7/8 who also had a brick we got to talking about our cues. He said he changed to a g-10 ? I believe due to better cue ball control on the breaks. So I changed to one also...yea better cue ball control bit I could not jump with that tip to save my life. Changed back to a white diamond but still could not jump like I did with that original white diamond.

So I get rid of the brick..could kick myself every time I think about it. And got a bk 3. Mixed results with that so got rid of it and got a gullyasee sledge hammer which is currently sitting in the closet.

Got a cheap 25 oz sneaky Pete which I have been using for about a year until I drug that old cue out of the closet and used last night.

Going to continue using this cue for a while.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.