Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Worst case od slow-playing
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
ghost ball
AzB Silver Member
ghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Andros View Post
*Nobody* has any stories about getting stalled or slow-played? Or any stories about it at all even if you just saw it or heard it? Really???
Yeah, and it worked. Killed my game. Made me hate the game.

"People have to start realizing that if they are going to dick members around on AZ, it won't be forgotten about soon." from the blue hog rider

GLUE SAVES POOL

"When I shoot, my main concerns are if I made a good hit (including ball to rail) and the success of the shot (make or defense).
If you have played for a while, it is rare that you don't notice when it does not happen." from poolpro2

Old
  (#32)
rossaroni
AzB Gold Member
rossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 7175

07-24-2019, 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=EddieBme;6444277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamShaddey View Post
Second on Strong Arm John[/QUOT

Is that another nickname for Omaha John Shuput?
No, different person. I believe Strong Arm is from Indiana, or was based out of there.

Old
  (#33)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-24-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWing View Post
Actually, I saw Greg Fix play Irving Crane in straight pool. Greg played arguably quicker than Irving.

All the best,
WW
Irving's last competitive play came in the late 1980's and he was already starting to show early signs of dementia by then. Yes, he played slowly at the very end, and I even saw him miss twice with ball in hand in one of his last few 14.1 matches. Yes, he way very slow at that point, but Crane was not a slow player in his prime. Greg was over 50 years younger than Irving and could only have played him during Crane's final years of competing.

Here's a thread from 2006 in which a few who'd watched or played Greg Fix chimed in on his ridiculously slow play. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...highlight=greg

I'm Not a slow player....
Old
  (#34)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

I'm Not a slow player.... - 07-24-2019, 09:46 PM

I'm not a slow player, but probably not the fastest. Being older and
having tremors.. I just have to take a little more time, unless I have a
few beers (which I try to limit to a couple).

A while back, playing in a tourney, I run into a young man. After a few
shots he starts in, telling me I'm slow playing him and stalling trying to
shark him. I wasn't! He got me fired up... and to those of you out there
who have the fun of essential tremors know, that just exacerbates them.
So being on tilt.. he bounced me easily to the losers side.

I settled down, had a beer or two, and worked my way through to meet
him in the final. I can't remember what it was, I think races to 5. I had
to win 2 races. From what I remember ( I kind of went into the zone) he
had 2 shots at a ball, one of which was a 9 I rattled in the pocket. I won
5-1, 5-0....

It was a sweet revenge.

td

Old
  (#35)
Atlatlien
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Atlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond reputeAtlatlien has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2535

07-25-2019, 03:10 AM

There's an elderly gentleman in my league who is a very slow player. Last session I was playing him and he took about 8-10 minutes thinking about his shot, then took a time out (another 5 minutes), then went to shoot and forgot what they had talked about and spent another minute or two refreshing his memory. Then he took another 1-2 minutes actually lining up and shooting the shot.

The match took nearly 3 hours to play. I was posted first and all four other matches were completed before mine was over. I was salty about it at first because I'm convinced at least part of the slow playing is intentional, but as time went on and I drank more IPAs it became less aggravating and more mindblowingly hilarious how long this guy takes to shoot.

Old
  (#36)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2019, 03:39 AM

3 pages and no mention of the 'Time Bandit' Mike Wong?

It ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Old
  (#37)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2019, 04:26 AM

Beat the slow players at their own game. If he takes 5 minutes and 27 seconds for his shot, then you just sit in your chair for the same amount of time then get up and shoot. No one can say anything to you if they say nothing to him.
If someone asks what you're doing, tell them you're studying the table trying to figure your shot.
Just because your opponent walks around to study the table, strokes his cue 37 times, gets down for a shot 8 times, doesn't mean that you're way of calmly sitting in you're chair is not studying the situation, it's just a different way than him.
Pretty soon they'll probably put a shot clock on his ass,,, and yours as well! lol
(Now this is not meant for folks that are just old maybe with medical problems)

Last edited by Johnny Rosato; 07-25-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Old
  (#38)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindz View Post

5-1, 5-0....

It was a sweet revenge.

td

I have tremors as well but only on the right side ( and, of course, I'm right-handed ). When I hit balls lefty, there's no tremors whatsoever. And the tremors only last so long... sometime 10 minutes, sometimes 30. No rhyme or reason to it.

Happy to see you brutalized the kid in the finals...

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#39)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2019, 08:40 AM

I’ve got mixed feelings about overly slow players.
If a player is busy and not wasting his time, I can live with it.
I’ve known three good snooker players that would saw away on their warm up strokes...
...they’d shoot when it felt right.....one of those guys I would actually practise with...
...his choice of shots was world class.

The slow players I couldn’t stand were the ones who used it as a competitive advantage...
...lotta staring into empty space.
..if I gambled with them...the price got tripled.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#40)
Michael Andros
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I’ve got mixed feelings about overly slow players.
If a player is busy and not wasting his time, I can live with it.
I’ve known three good snooker players that would saw away on their warm up strokes...
...they’d shoot when it felt right.....one of those guys I would actually practise with...
...his choice of shots was world class.

The slow players I couldn’t stand were the ones who used it as a competitive advantage...
...lotta staring into empty space.
..if I gambled with them...the price got tripled.
That's what I hated as well and what this thread is about. Not people who can't help it ( tic or health, age, etc ) but guys who are stalling. And what drives me nuts is not them staring off into space ( and, yeah, been there, done that ) so much, but the ones who bend down to "line up the shot" like... a thousand times, and THEN walk around the table 4 or 5 times, every single f'ing shot. I wanna SHOOT 'em!. For some reason that used to realllyyy bother me.

I just wouldn't gamble with them. Not worth the energy.

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#41)
dardusm
AzB Silver Member
dardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Back in the early 2000's Jimmy Wetch was playing Dick Lane in a bar table 9 ball tournament at Shooters in Olathe, KS. I put a sweat bet on Jimmy "the kid" and Dick was killing him. If you never seen Dick play, he was extremely slow but great shooter. I couldn't stand there and had to try something to help my wager, so I told one of Jimmy's running mates that there was a shot clock. He told Jimmy and he called over the TD. They put Dick on the clock. Well, all it did was make Dick beat Jimmy faster

Old
  (#42)
Michael Andros

07-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardusm View Post
Back in the early 2000's Jimmy Wetch was playing Dick Lane in a bar table 9 ball tournament at Shooters in Olathe, KS. I put a sweat bet on Jimmy "the kid" and Dick was killing him. If you never seen Dick play, he was extremely slow but great shooter. I couldn't stand there and had to try something to help my wager, so I told one of Jimmy's running mates that there was a shot clock. He told Jimmy and he called over the TD. They put Dick on the clock. Well, all it did was make Dick beat Jimmy faster
Dick Lane was one helluva player. No doubt about it. Probably *still* plays well but he has to be in his late 70, early 80s now.

~ Tony Proestos ~

~ Fat Randy ~

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Great!
Old
  (#43)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Great! - 07-25-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindz View Post

5-1, 5-0....

It was a sweet revenge.

td

Great! Paybacks can be a biatch!

Hu

Old
  (#44)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardusm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Andros View Post
Dick Lane was one helluva player. No doubt about it. Probably *still* plays well but he has to be in his late 70, early 80s now.
I forgive any time that Dick Lane spent over the ball.
...he had a bad tremor and he had to shoot between shakes.
....some people have said he might’ve ran more hundreds than Mosconi.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#45)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

07-25-2019, 02:29 PM

"If he wants to play for $5,000 he can play as slow as he wants, but this is ridiculous for a tournament." -Teddy G on Arturo Rivera

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: