Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Cue makers whose brand value has decreased the most..
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-10-2019, 07:10 AM

I have 50 Dale Perry cues I bought from 2006-2008 and never used them.

It was when they had the certificate describing what wood the cue was made of.

Not the generic certificates you get today.

I check them out once a year or two and the finish is still good and they still roll good.

They are some of my favorite cues and I'm a Meucci lover.

Maybe I just love my cheap cues.

Old
  (#32)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

I have 50 Dale Perry cues I bought from 2006-2008 and never used them.

It was when they had the certificate describing what wood the cue was made of.

Not the generic certificates you get today.

I check them out once a year or two and the finish is still good and they still roll good.

They are some of my favorite cues and I'm a Meucci lover.

Maybe I just love my cheap cues.

Big difference in "cheap" and inexpensive. DP cues consistently play as good as any out there. I know he pissed people off when he changed his business model but apparently it works for him. He makes some profit per cue and does it by volume. His cnc set-up must be impressive.

Old
  (#33)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Big difference in "cheap" and inexpensive. DP cues consistently play as good as any out there. I know he pissed people off when he changed his business model but apparently it works for him. He makes some profit per cue and does it by volume. His cnc set-up must be impressive.
Yes, it must really be a top-notch setup.
So what is a wheat-buck, I know something funny about Eddie Wheat, but if someone could fill me in on the backstory.

Old
  (#34)
mkmartin74
AzB Bronze Member

mkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond reputemkmartin74 has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
"This" meaning the DP threads have been on here for a long time. You think Dale is sweatin' AZ and bumpin' his prices? Possible but i doubt it.
Think this thread has only been going for a day or two. Don't think Dale is doing anything like that, doubt it would be worth his time for and extra $25-$50. More on the line of people have see this and realized they can get a respectable inexpensive cue for a hell of a price.

Old
  (#35)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
Don't think Frey cues will ever be on the same level as Scruggs or Southwest.
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the tidbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Dont believe Frey or Scruggs went up in value, especially of you take into account what today's dollar is worth compared to then.

I had 1 Scruggs about 25 years ago - it played great! Had it leaned against the table and it fell over on carpet and the forearm broke. Wanted to cry lol.

Have never seen a cue break like that hitting concrete let alone carpet. Shafts yes, Butts no.
Dang, I bet you did want to cry, I have only ever dropped one cue, that was about 20 years ago, it was a viking, had leaning against the wall, waiting for my turn to shoot, went to pick it up, and it slipped right out of my fingers, hit the concrete floor, tip came off and shaft got some dents, but no explosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
I've seen it happen to a Gina and a McDaniel. Exact same circumstance, fell flat on carpeted floor in pool room.
Damn, so any thought on why? all the intricate pieces weaken the butt?

Old
  (#36)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

10-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for the tidbit.

Dang, I bet you did want to cry, I have only ever dropped one cue, that was about 20 years ago, it was a viking, had leaning against the wall, waiting for my turn to shoot, went to pick it up, and it slipped right out of my fingers, hit the concrete floor, tip came off and shaft got some dents, but no explosion.

Damn, so any thought on why? all the intricate pieces weaken the butt?
Both were Birdseye fronts.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#37)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Garczar, if you want to see an impressive DP cue ask Cecil J to show you his 'sisters' cue. Just dont mention the drop in value. Dont think he knows. I never said anything

Last edited by misterpoole; 10-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Old
  (#38)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
Yes, it must really be a top-notch setup.
So what is a wheat-buck, I know something funny about Eddie Wheat, but if someone could fill me in on the backstory.
There’s a couple hundred threads about Eddie Wheat....here’s one.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...93#post1398693

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#39)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member

10-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
There’s a couple hundred threads about Eddie Wheat....here’s one.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...93#post1398693
That thread is gold, now I know about how the "wheat bucks" term had developed, I had browsed the archives, but there were so many threads I didn't know where that term had originated, funny thread, thanks for taking the time to find it for me. Appreciated!

Last edited by Snooker Theory; 10-10-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Old
  (#40)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpoole View Post
Garczar, if you want to see an impressive DP cue ask Cecil J to show you his 'sisters' cue. Just dont mention the drop in value. Dont think he knows. I never said anything
This BP?? What's up man. I've seen both of his early DP's. Pretty sure he knows(and hates) the drop in value. He's gone all hi-tech and playin with a carbon-fiber cue now.

Old
  (#41)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-10-2019, 11:36 AM

I think cues made by the cue-makers that have suffered reputation damage from their abysmal behavior
and literally larcenous acts based upon undisputed complaints publicized on this Forum and elsewhere lost
a great deal of appeal. Consequently, it has depressed overall interest and demand reducing market value.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#42)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-10-2019, 05:04 PM

The McDermott Masterpiece cues. $6,500 but it does come with 2 shafts, looks like
a copy of a Filipino cue.

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/m9m6.php

The original ones sold for $3,000 but lost two thirds of their value out the door.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 10-10-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Old
  (#43)
cubswin
Just call me Joe...
cubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond repute

10-10-2019, 09:04 PM

Wheat, Robert Harris, Krown, and more than a few others have gone down due to the makers attitudes toward customers.

Old
  (#44)
Kobachi
Scarred but Smarter
Kobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-11-2019, 05:43 AM

Kevin Varney (RIP) I remember had a rough go for a while, not delivering after promising. I also want to say it was during that time when AZ was still allowing cuemakers (or cue sellers) to use the “raffles” in the for sale section.

Who remembers those? They were fun, I won a couple. But I want to say that Kev was listing too many raffles too often and got behind, and his reputation took a crap.

I believe he recovered from that shortly before he tragically died. He put out a bunch of cues that were owed to people...and then he was gone.

Not sure how the above affected his cues values. I have one of his break cues and it is a sledgehammer. The finish could’ve been better (started crazing).

Primary: Alex Brick

"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious" Michael Scott - Dundler Mifflin Paper Company

"Sure-Lock"

Old
  (#45)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

10-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobachi View Post
Kevin Varney (RIP) I remember had a rough go for a while, not delivering after promising. I also want to say it was during that time when AZ was still allowing cuemakers (or cue sellers) to use the “raffles” in the for sale section.

Who remembers those? They were fun, I won a couple. But I want to say that Kev was listing too many raffles too often and got behind, and his reputation took a crap.

I believe he recovered from that shortly before he tragically died. He put out a bunch of cues that were owed to people...and then he was gone.

Not sure how the above affected his cues values. I have one of his break cues and it is a sledgehammer. The finish could’ve been better (started crazing).
Kevin Varney cues have actually held their value.
The cues were only $400 to begin with, so there is not a lot of value up or down.
Compared to some of these internet cue builders out stealing money, Kevin was pretty good, and seemed like a good guy just under financed.

player..Pat Diveney, Tim Scruggs, Carmeli
player..Gus & Barry Szamboti, PFD
player..Schon, Jensen, Palmer, Dave Kikel
player..Chris Byrne, ummers, Judd Fuller
player...Richard Black, South West, Steve Lomax
player...Dave Jones, Predator, Loveland Customs
breaker.Judd Fuller
jumper..Jacoby Jumper
shooter..Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter.....Dan Harrison

Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread