Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Benefits of playing opponents with less skill
Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycopath View Post
[(Always play the table, not your opponent.)
Thatís how it should be, but we all think about the playing ability of our opponent and kind of subconsciously let that affect our own playing. You know how you play up or down depending upon your opponentís skill level.

Just try to play as good (and as smart) as you can... always.
To me, pool is a war game...ignore your opponentís strengths and weaknesses at your own peril.
Can you imagine a boxer or a chess player not wanting to know anything about his opponent?

But I agree with playing your best, regardless of your opponent...
...heís probably playing you to learn...showing him whatís possible is good for his game.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#17)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Am I the only one who feels bad about beating lower level players? I'm talking about people who are really terrible.

My wife for example is a terrible player. I never play full speed when I play her. The only upside is when she does run a couple ball she is joyous and I tend to sometimes lose the joy in playing.

Old
  (#18)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
Am I the only one who feels bad about beating lower level players? I'm talking about people who are really terrible.

My wife for example is a terrible player. I never play full speed when I play her. The only upside is when she does run a couple ball she is joyous and I tend to sometimes lose the joy in playing.
Definitely not, I have for sure felt that way.

I try to change the way I think about playing with them.
I'm not really playing them I'm playing myself.
I may go into the session wanting to be better
at something specific; psr, stroke, safety and smart play,
X amount of b&r in a row, etc.
I also limit the amount of time I spend playing with
that speed of player. Only 15% of time sparring
a month with them.
They all celebrate stupid shots, lucky shots, you fking up
and get out once in a while. I have learned to do
my level best to be happy for them( not easy)

Old
  (#19)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchnhed View Post
Great way to welcome new people to the sport!
No wonder Pool in America is dying.
Whatever it takes to impress the ladies. Pool is thriving in the United States, however, So. Cal. pool hall culture is dead.

Old
  (#20)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post

No it usually makes me feel good and gives a confidence boost when i do because they're all like wow
Woa man

which is good for competition

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#21)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 12:21 PM

I just like to play. I'd have to travel to play someone better than me.

Playing a lesser playing can give you confidence.

If you are playing eight ball you can start banking the eight every time.

I used to play straight pool and used to give one guy 75 balls to a race to 100.

Gives you good practice with your break shot with someone racking for you.

A lot of people just want to rack 'em just to watch me play.

Playing a lesser player gives you a fun time to hot dog it and just have fun.

Hit 'em hard and hope.

Old
  (#22)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-11-2019, 01:17 PM

gives you a chance to win
its hard to win when the other guy plays better

Old
  (#23)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Rather play a stronger player. I learn more. Iím not suppose to win against a stronger so winning is a big plus when I do. Also realize my faults / weaknesses and see what has to be worked on. I see no benefit playing a weaker unless they are learning also and appreciate the game.

Favorite Game...Pocket a Piece
Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.
1P Instructor: Tom Wirth
Stroke Instructor: Scott Lee

I need more cues like a snail needs airbrakes

Old
  (#24)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 01:54 PM

I hope you guys never get to play Pro-Am with Tiger Woods or hit a few with Venus Williams or hit the hoops with any NBA players!

Be a Sport, when playing a Sport!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Typical reply.

Would it not also be true that playing poorly against the same prison would be insulting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
Cool story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkof01 View Post
What??
As long as the person knows you play good I see
it as disrespectful to that person to let up on them in
any way. Most of the time they want to play with you
because you play good. They want to learn and
are excited to see good pool first hand.
In my experience if you dont play well against them
for whatever reason, they think you are letting up
on them(sometimes we all miss balls or play poorly).
They want you to beat them into dust not the other
way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
To me, pool is a war game...ignore your opponentís strengths and weaknesses at your own peril.
Can you imagine a boxer or a chess player not wanting to know anything about his opponent?

But I agree with playing your best, regardless of your opponent...
...heís probably playing you to learn...showing him whatís possible is good for his game.

Shoot Pool
Not People

Old
  (#25)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
Whatever it takes to impress the ladies. Pool is thriving in the United States, however, So. Cal. pool hall culture is dead.
Everything in SoCal is dead.
And I am a Native!

Shoot Pool
Not People

Old
  (#26)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

I just like to play. I'd have to travel to play someone better than me.

Playing a lesser playing can give you confidence.

If you are playing eight ball you can start banking the eight every time.

I used to play straight pool and used to give one guy 75 balls to a race to 100.

Gives you good practice with your break shot with someone racking for you.

A lot of people just want to rack 'em just to watch me play.

Playing a lesser player gives you a fun time to hot dog it and just have fun.

Hit 'em hard and hope.

Maybe Ryan McCreesh can learn something from you.

Old
  (#27)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member

10-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchnhed View Post
Everything in SoCal is dead.
And I am a Native!
Born and raised! The billiard scene is just scattered making it harder to see, but its there.

Old
  (#28)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2019, 02:03 PM

What million dollar billiards isnt a hot spot?

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#29)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked

10-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Typical reply.

Would it not also be true that playing poorly against the same prison would be insulting?
Play your best, but...
Why not tell him what you are shooting at and why?
Help him with their shots and strategy.
Help him with the etiquette and rules.
Welcome him/her instead of grinding them into the dust and humiliating them.

Shoot Pool
Not People

All depends on what you are playing for!
Old
  (#30)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

All depends on what you are playing for! - 10-11-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Some really nice opinions/advice given so far.

My wife is several levels below me and when we play (which is often), she gets a big spot. I have to work my a$$ off to overcome the weight. As competitive as my wife is coupled with the fact that I don't really want her beating me, I have to focus and shoot good pool to beat her.

So I would have to say YES to the OP's question. There can be benefits....but it's got to be done right.

FWIW, my wife beats me about two out of every three matches we play against one another. I think it's about time to change the spot, eh?

Maniac

It all depends on what you are playing for! I consider it very bad juju to embarrass or humiliate the one that is doing the cooking or that I am sharing my bed with!

I always had at least three gears after I got to playing reasonably well. Friends and dates, low-level hustlers, road players. Once a friend got a little carried away with himself, I gave him a very huge spot, and crushed him. He grumbled about that for months!

There wasn't a spot in the world I could give my wife and her win. Once there is too much gap between people it gets that way. She was pleased to watch me win against tough competition, would not have been nearly as pleased for me to break out the same game against her!

Hu

Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: