what's your favorite pool/billiards writing?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
could be technical, but I'm especially curious about stories
I have a few books on my shelf
tevis is important to me
"running the table" comes to mind as well-written
"playing off the rail," too
I'm reading a book now called "fast company" which isn't just about pool
but it's got some great pool stuff in it
there's some neat journalism out there
a lot of magazine archives
I think "running the table" started as a shorter SI piece
etc.

whaddya like?

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards - Hustlers and heroes, legends and lies and the search for higher truth on the green felt by John Grissim. This has the first mention about a young kid named Efren Reyes in it.
Virtually any articles by George Fels that he wrote for the last page in Billiards Digest titled Tips and Shafts.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i really liked Ray Martins book"the 99 critical shots"
and Tom wirth's one pocket books

other than that I haven't really cared much for pool literature

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Wars, McGoorty and Playing Off the Rail are my favorites, they all have good stories in them.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
In no specific order

ShootingArts
Black-Balled
pt109
Jay Helfert
SJM
Bob Jewett
AtLarge
That crazy Dr. from Colorado(Dave)
Measureman

and maybe Danny H:grin:
Sorry for a few I missed:(

As far as books I have read most and I hate reading books. Jays books are fun! McGoorty, Playing off the Rail, crap... I like them all.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In no specific order

ShootingArts
Black-Balled
pt109
Jay Helfert
SJM
Bob Jewett
AtLarge
That crazy Dr. from Colorado(Dave)
Measureman

and maybe Danny H:grin:
Sorry for a few I missed:(

As far as books I have read most and I hate reading books. Jays books are fun! McGoorty, Playing off the Rail, crap... I like them all.

niice:thumbup:
I didn't realize it when I posted
but you captured the spirit of what I seek
good words
put together
I love this forum for its words
and those who produce them

thanks all!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Everything that Robert Byrne wrote.
The three musketeers...Bob Jewett, Dr Dave, and Patrick Johnson.
George Fels....books and articles
R A Dyer....in Billiards Digest

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards - Hustlers and heroes, legends and lies and the search for higher truth on the green felt by John Grissim. This has the first mention about a young kid named Efren Reyes in it.
Virtually any articles by George Fels that he wrote for the last page in Billiards Digest titled Tips and Shafts.

Tap tap tap.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all AZB-ers:

1) Take 20 minutes and read (or re-read) this one -- its one of my all-time favorites: an exceptional 9-page article from a 1970 Playboy about the famous Johnston City "Hustlers Jamboree" excitingly and colorfully written by an eye-witness reporter. It's filled with various mentions of the more than 20 top-level players “convening” from all around the country, with a great deal of attention to the gambling between Luther Lassiter and a very cocky Ronnie Allen. (Also includes *plenty* of historical background about decades of American pool hustling during the 20th Century):

https://tinyurl.com/ycw3vw8b

2) And don't fail to read Kenneth Shouler's beautifully written "Poet of Pool" article about Mike Sigel:

https://tinyurl.com/y6xmdr7q

This is a classic that's revered by Sigel fans everywhere (myself definitely included).

Arnaldo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
could be technical, but I'm especially curious about stories
I have a few books on my shelf
tevis is important to me
"running the table" comes to mind as well-written
"playing off the rail," too
I'm reading a book now called "fast company" which isn't just about pool
but it's got some great pool stuff in it
there's some neat journalism out there
a lot of magazine archives
I think "running the table" started as a shorter SI piece
etc.

whaddya like?

"McGoorty" by Robert Byrne

"The Hustler and the Champ" by R.A Dyer

https://poolhistory.com/ by R.A Dyer

"The Other Side of the Road" by Alf Taylor

George Fels' articles in BD

Lou Figueroa

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
History:
Hustler Days... Dyer
The Hustler and the Champ.... Dyer
Playing Off The Rail.... McCumber
McGoorty...... Byrne
The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies.... Fats/Fox
Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers.... Bentivengna
Road Player.... Forsyth
Running the Table... Wertheim
Pool Wars.... Helfert
Cornbread Red.... Henning

Novels:
The Hustler.... Trevis
The Color of Money.... Trevis
Do it for the Game.... Campbell
Just do it for the Money.... Campbell

Plus, many of the "how to play" books, by various authors, and probably a few more I can't remember right now. :sorry:

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have extra copies of Grissim's "Billiards" and Byrne's "McGoorty" as well as "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by M. Fats and Tom Fox. I have some of the other books mentioned also. jewett@sfbilliards.com for prices.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Pleasures of Small Motions
Zen in the Art of Archery
The Art of Stillness
The Inner Game of Tennis

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An answer to a pool player's prayers by RIchard Kranicki

I don't have the attention span to read hustler stories, the way the set-ups are written...I just can't do it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This seems like a good opportunity for me to repost this from several years ago:

This topic, with some variation, comes up from time to time. I have posted the following passage a few times now, but maybe some new eyes will see it here. It's the best thing I've ever read about the appeal of the game of pool (or billiards). Beauty ... heart ... renewal -- it's all there in two brief paragraphs.

Playing Off The Rail, by David McCumber, Random House, 1996, pages 276-277. It is presented as the author's thoughts while watching a masterfully played 9-ball match.

"Tony broke, and made two balls, and I could see the table unfold in my mind, and I knew he could see it even better, and would run it. As he made the shots I was overpowered by the beauty of this game, at once immutably logical, governed by physical inevitabilities, and at the same time infinitely poetic and varied. This game at its best, as it was being played before me, had the transcendent power of a Handel chorus.

I thought about what an impressive mental exercise it was for Tony, after a miserable session against an unremarkable player two hours earlier, to reinvent himself so completely. It was a question of heart, a gathering of everything stored inside a man, a refusal to fall after stumbling. It was a very rare thing for a player to take such advantage of the game's intrinsic quality of renewal, the fresh start with each match, each rack, each shot. Nothing pharmaceutical could ever exceed the jolt of bliss that comes with the self-mastery that sort of play entails: knowing the ball is going in, knowing the cue ball is going to stop precisely where you willed it to, knowing that the next shot is going in too. I thought of Willie Hoppe, running an astonishing twenty-five billiards in an exhibition in 1918, seeing all those rails and angles and spins and caroms in his head like presents waiting to be opened. It was no accident that Hoppe was the most disciplined and controlled player of his era. Power over the cue ball, over the object ball, is power over ourselves. It is the sweetest irony that pool has gathered the reputation of being a game for louts and idlers, when, to be played well, it demands such incredible discipline of movement, of thinking, of emotion."​