Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Is there a God?
View Poll Results: Is there aGod / Gods?
BELIEVER: Yes I believe there is/are God or Gods. 70 42.68%
ATHEIST: NO I do not believe in God/Gods 40 24.39%
AGNOSTIC: I do not know as I lack evidence one way or the other. 45 27.44%
None of your damn business. 9 5.49%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Page 27 of 79 « First 17252627 28293777 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.54 average.
Old
  (#391)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

11-28-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp
But fundamentally speaking, the entire notion of "purpose" is a completely incoherent concept given the atheistic worldview. Things happen because they happen. There is no such thing as purpose, or intent, or design. You can go so far as to say that say there is no such thing as reason either.
Well to pick up on what was said earlier, you could say that the Moon serves a purpose; it controls the tides. However, that does not mean it was created by some higher power to serve the purpose of controlling the tides. The Moon came into existence in a certain place at a certain time. As a result, it had an affect on the Earth. You could call that affect a purpose. And you probably would, because we're used to the tides coming in and going out. It seems like the way things were destined to be. But if the Moon had never been created, our tides would behave differently, and we would accept that as the way things were destined to be.
I'm talking more about the actions of man. It may appear that I have a "purpose" in writing this post, but that's just an illusion. It may appear that Michelangelo "designed" the statue of David, but that's just an illusion as well. In the atheistic worldview of reductionism and materialism, the actions of me writing this post and Michelangelo sculpting David are fundamentally no different than the formation of a star in a distant galaxy or a boulder rolling down a mountainside.

If there is no room for the supernatural, then EVERYTHING must be natural. That must also include such atrocities as slavery, eugenics, and genocide if they are done.

Old
  (#392)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
I am not implying that the universal laws would be changing, I am implying that everything around us (and in the potential other dimensions) follow those universal laws (whether we know about them yet or not).

About moon....yes it is there because of events that took place. This is all still in line with the universal laws. Now let us assume I was an astronaut and I threw a spanner in the general direction of...well....out of our solarsystem and with some luck it was not captured by the gravitational pull of any other object on the way stopping it in it's tracks....and over time it would gain mass by collecting space dust and there some where along the trip it triggered a sequence of events that triggered some bacteria hitting some planet and life evolving. Does this all make me then God? Or perhaps just amazing sequence of events?

I am saying that we make choices that are limited by these "universal laws" and all changes we make in this infinitely complex system we know as universe would cause reactions that also follow these same universal laws.

Which part of this is in conflict with the universal laws?
Sorry ... but if you are a true atheist you have no "choice" since you record setting wrench throw was the result of a muscular/skeletal motion that resulted from a chemical reaction in your brain which resulted from the molecules and atoms in your brain being in their pre ordained location at their preordained time which resulted from which direction these bits of matter were flung at the moment of creation ... hence, in the true atheist POV you weren't god by throwing the wrench. You were merely a sack of elements that could have one nothing but throw the wrench ... just as the Moon is where it is because it couldn't be anywhere else.

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

"Whether or not its a lie is irrelevant."
-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#393)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp View Post
I'm talking more about the actions of man. It may appear that I have a "purpose" in writing this post, but that's just an illusion. It may appear that Michelangelo "designed" the statue of David, but that's just an illusion as well. In the atheistic worldview of reductionism and materialism, the actions of me writing this post and Michelangelo sculpting David are fundamentally no different than the formation of a star in a distant galaxy or a boulder rolling down a mountainside.

If there is no room for the supernatural, then EVERYTHING must be natural. That must also include such atrocities as slavery, eugenics, and genocide if they are done.
Well put ... if we live in the universe the atheists believe we live in, then everyone in prison should rightfully be released.

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#394)
jmccarthy
AzB Silver Member
jmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond reputejmccarthy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Yahoo to jmccarthy  
11-28-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWW View Post
Well put ... if we live in the universe the atheists believe we live in, then everyone in prison should rightfully be released.
Atheism does not require determinism. It's a gross overstatement to lump atheists into a bucket like this. Many very prominent atheists argue for free will like Daniel Dennett (Elbow Room). Some, like Sam Harris argue that the popular notions of free will needs some clarifications, and that although free will does not exist this has very positive creative and moral implications.

The subject has been debated for a very long time and I should say that plenty of religious people are or have been determinists as well. To conflate atheism with determinism is simplistic and misguided.

----
Playing Cue: Mezz Z404 19.5oz
WD700 Shaft with Kamui Black SS tip
Break Cue: Pechauer Break - Rosewood - 19.5oz
Jump Cue: Stealth AT-1

Old
  (#395)
jsp
AzB Silver Member
jsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond reputejsp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2600

11-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccarthy View Post
Atheism does not require determinism.
This is true (QM theory suggests that the universe is inherently indeterministic), but atheism does require there is no such thing as libertarian free will. The reason is because libertarianism (in the philosophical sense) requires an agent, which is the thing choosing an action. Agency is an incoherent concept in materialistic atheism, since humans are merely composed of physical particles slave to the laws of physics and nothing more. There is no room for agency.

Now, it is true that some atheists hold on to the existence of "free will", but this is where we get into a debate in semantics. Compatibilist free will (that says that free will is compatible with determinism) is NOT identical to libertarian free will, and I don't think any prominent atheist would believe libertarian free will exists. But still, if libertarianism is false, then you cannot escape the absolute absurdness of existence.

But as I stated before, just because something is absurd doesn't make it false. I just simply would like to believe that all of existence is not totally absurd.

Last edited by jsp; 11-28-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Old
  (#396)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccarthy View Post
Atheism does not require determinism. It's a gross overstatement to lump atheists into a bucket like this. Many very prominent atheists argue for free will like Daniel Dennett (Elbow Room). Some, like Sam Harris argue that the popular notions of free will needs some clarifications, and that although free will does not exist this has very positive creative and moral implications.

The subject has been debated for a very long time and I should say that plenty of religious people are or have been determinists as well. To conflate atheism with determinism is simplistic and misguided.
You can argue all you want ... but claiming that there is no Creator, therefor everything obeys the physical laws of the universe except that humanity has a pass on this and that this pass was given by something that doesn't exist is just risibly illogical.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#397)
JLW
Dunder Mifflin Salesman
JLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond reputeJLW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3000

11-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Since we are discussing the nature of what it is to be an atheist, I will offer the suggestion that we are all atheists, the only difference is to what degree. I'm sure all of the people posting in this thread have gods they don't believe in- Zeus, Thor, Wotan, Loki, Ares, etc. So, with regard to these gods, they are atheists; they don't think the burden of proof has been met to a degree where they believe these gods are actually real. The only difference is that I take it one god further and don't believe in any of the god claims.

I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask where they're going, and hook up with them later- Mitch Hedberg

Old
  (#398)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

11-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp View Post
This is true (QM theory suggests that the universe is inherently indeterministic)
QM also shows that things exist as probability wave where all outcomes exist until a conscious entity observes things ... at which point the wave collapses and A reality solidifies.

Taken to it's logicl conclusion, at the moment of creation the big bang either banged ... or didn't, and the probability wave couldn't collapse without a conscious observer.

Who/What did the observation?

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#399)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Since we are discussing the nature of what it is to be an atheist, I will offer the suggestion that we are all atheists, the only difference is to what degree. I'm sure all of the people posting in this thread have gods they don't believe in- Zeus, Thor, Wotan, Loki, Ares, etc. So, with regard to these gods, they are atheists; they don't think the burden of proof has been met to a degree where they believe these gods are actually real. The only difference is that I take it one god further and don't believe in any of the god claims.
Not me. I believe in all of them. Loki there!

Old
  (#400)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
11-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry ... but if you are a true atheist you have no "choice" since you record setting wrench throw was the result of a muscular/skeletal motion that resulted from a chemical reaction in your brain which resulted from the molecules and atoms in your brain being in their pre ordained location at their preordained time which resulted from which direction these bits of matter were flung at the moment of creation ... hence, in the true atheist POV you weren't god by throwing the wrench. You were merely a sack of elements that could have one nothing but throw the wrench ... just as the Moon is where it is because it couldn't be anywhere else.
I do not agree
and I never claimed to be an atheist either....agnostic rather.
I see these universal laws to be more setting the parameters in which chaos allows for a lot of variation.

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314, ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Old
  (#401)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

11-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THaney View Post
Not me. I believe in all of them. Loki there!
I believe in all of them as well ...all these many names are simply different cultures trying to understand the same thing.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#402)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

11-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I do not agree
and I never claimed to be an atheist either....agnostic rather.
I see these universal laws to be more setting the parameters in which chaos allows for a lot of variation.
You may not agree, but it makes no difference.

The heavens behave in an exact fashion, they do not have a "lot of variation" to work within.

Universal laws set exact parameters with no slop.

The motions of the heavens are quite predictable.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#403)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
11-29-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
You may not agree, but it makes no difference.

The heavens behave in an exact fashion, they do not have a "lot of variation" to work within.

Universal laws set exact parameters with no slop.

The motions of the heavens are quite predictable.
quite possible they behave in an exact fashion within parameters....
this still does not rule out possibility of randomness within these parameters

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314, ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Old
  (#404)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

11-29-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
quite possible they behave in an exact fashion within parameters....
this still does not rule out possibility of randomness within these parameters
Sorry, but it most certainly does.

Universal laws do not allow for devation.

If you and I drop identical cannonballs from the op of the Empire State Building at the same time on the same day they will fall at the exact same speed ... not because they choose to, but gecause they have to.

Yet, even though the chemicals in your brain are the same as mine, we ome to different conclusions. This holds true even with idntical twins sharing the same situation.

Why?

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#405)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!

11-29-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
So you actually have no idea what the word means.

-Bishop-

-Bishop-

-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

-9BallPaul-

Page 27 of 79 « First 17252627 28293777 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: