Old
  (#31)
Mitchxout
AzB Silver Member
Mitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond reputeMitchxout has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-23-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Just wondering how many instructors you have been to that you make such broad sweeping statements??
Not only do I have personal experience, it's not just directed at billiards. My "sweeping" statements apply to other endeavors as well.

Old
  (#32)
rookie
AzB Silver Member
rookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2015, 08:10 PM

I am glad to see all the activity on this post. I can see everyone's point on this issue. I think a lot of this is dependent on the level the player is at. But knowledge is knowledge and if it is presented in the proper way if is useful regardless.

But i can understand wanting an instructor who ability you are confident in. So what will build confidence in an instructor it sounds like many of you feel a good ass kick in on the table. I know guys who can play with the best of them but could not teach you to tie your shoes.

I recently received C.J. Wileys videos and picked up quit a few pointers even from the tape that explained the basics. We all learn in different ways and are open to different things. C.J. teaches toi i don't know if i would use this all the time but i feel it would be a great asset on many shots and in many situations.

C.J by the way is a great guy and his videos are weworth getting!!!

Old
  (#33)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchxout View Post
One issue I have is with instructors who use the "cookie-cutter" approach. This is where they strictly adhere to a preapproved manual that doesn't take into account the individual. Basically, everyone gets the same lessons, although tailored to their skill level.
Another issue with instructors is when they think their method is the one and only way. Aiming zealots are the worst of the lot.
Many instructors treat lessons as an additional income where money is the primary motive. It's not their first career and knowledge is lacking.
I hate to say it, but the old saying, "those who can't do, teach" is all too prevalent.
Mitch,

I have a comment. Please take it in the kind and respectful spirit in which it is intended. There are some things where a cookie-cutter approach is demanded. For example, I would tell anyone "a light but even coating of chalk for most shots" and also "don't have your head three feet above the cue stick for most shots". And in aiming, I ask every student in their first lesson regarding which part of the pocket they aim certain test shots I setup. On whether a player is aiming to the pocket accurately--that should be a cookie-cutter approach IMO!

But yes, I hear what you are saying. I've had students who were pretty upset at traveling to a guru to learn that their stance and/or aim and/or stroke was "wrong" because they looked different than other of their students. Sometimes using the guru's new system was a godsend. Other times, a disaster. (Okay, mostly a disaster.)

Thanks for letting me vent.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#34)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-05-2015, 09:42 AM

rookie...I'm coming to Springfield in two weeks, to work with another student. If you're still interested, let me know.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
Thank you Scott but I think I have found someone local that iam going to try. I will for sure keep you in mind in the future.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#35)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchxout View Post
One issue I have is with instructors who use the "cookie-cutter" approach. This is where they strictly adhere to a preapproved manual that doesn't take into account the individual. Basically, everyone gets the same lessons, although tailored to their skill level.
Another issue with instructors is when they think their method is the one and only way.
Amen to this.

Seen it more than once.

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 English Green

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: