Horn Joint
Old
  (#1)
rookie
AzB Silver Member
rookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond reputerookie has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Horn Joint - 03-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Iam ready to have a new cue built. Nothing over the top four point, Irish linen wrap just a nice solid player. My question have any of you guys owned or played with a horn jointed cue? What are your opinions on this material? I have a large piece of Axis deer horn that would work.
I was going to just do phenolic but have been kicking around this idea.

Old
  (#2)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
03-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
Iam ready to have a new cue built. Nothing over the top four point, Irish linen wrap just a nice solid player. My question have any of you guys owned or played with a horn jointed cue? What are your opinions on this material? I have a large piece of Axis deer horn that would work.
Mr friendly cue maker, John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues has mad a lot of cues with some kind of horn, antler, deer & whatever... stuff works good.

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Old
  (#3)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

03-06-2015, 10:11 AM

More work, but they are pretty and hit great .
They are harder than phenolic or melamine.
Your lathe bits and router bits will tell you.
They do need seasoning like wood and ivory.

Last edited by JoeyInCali; 07-22-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Old
  (#4)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
More work, but they are pretty and hit great .
They are harder than phenolic or melamine.
Your lathe bits and router bits will tell you.
They do need seasoning like wood and ivory.
Really I would have never thought it would harder than Phenolic

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#5)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 11:06 AM

Considering what the material is designed for, it's damn near perfect for pool cues. Unlike ivory, where the tusk is used to push around brush & tree limbs, antler is designed by nature to endure incredible impact. Antler is evolved over millions of years to endure constant, consecutive, tremendous impact. It's also lightweight. Better yet, it's sustainable, as most animals that produce it, shed them every spring & grow a new set over the summer.

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
My son's cue has a horn joint, it's a stiffer and more jarring hit than my cue with a wood to wood joint with a plastic collar even when using the exact same shaft. My cue and his has the same pin and we have tried different shafts on each to see how they felt.

Funny part is that a shaft I like on my cue, I don't like on his, and he is the opposite, likes my shafts on his cue but not on mine.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#7)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
My son's cue has a horn joint, it's a stiffer and more jarring hit than my cue with a wood to wood joint with a plastic collar even when using the exact same shaft. My cue and his has the same pin and we have tried different shafts on each to see how they felt.

Funny part is that a shaft I like on my cue, I don't like on his, and he is the opposite, likes my shafts on his cue but not on mine.

Anybody who says the butt of a cue doesn't matter, should experience what you have. Prime example of how much even minute, seemingly insignificant components can make very noticeable differences.

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Stiff Hit
Old
  (#8)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

Stiff Hit - 03-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post

I hit once with a Southwest and I was not prepared for the stiff hit. I hit balls for about a half an hour and although stiff there was something different about the messages the cue was sending through my arm.

Later on I lent my road partner a cue of mine and he wanted to put a juma ferrule that was not capped on it and I said sure.

The resulting hit was a bit stiffer and he played the best position of his entire life with that cue. After I got it back when he was finished building his own I went back to playing with it and now I am doing the same.

I think that there is a certain type of vibration that is preferable with certain types of hits although they are definitely subjective.

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#9)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 11:26 AM

I previously owned & subsequently sold a Richard Black cue with Cape Buffalo Horn for the joint material. He's a great cue-maker. Nonetheless, you don't
see that cue in my arsenal any longer, nor any other cues using horn rather than ivory. There's a reason why but try using horn and see for yourself. It's just
not the same despite what others may write.

Matt B.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#10)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336Robin View Post
Really I would have never thought it would harder than Phenolic
If you replaced a moose's antlers with phenolic, he'd lose a lot of battles.
Phenolic is resin on linen or canvas or paper .
If you bounce a phenolic tube and antler tube of the same sizes , the antler will have a higher pitch and will be louder .

horn
Old
  (#11)
desi2960
AzB Silver Member
desi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond repute

horn - 03-06-2015, 11:28 AM

i started using horn 7 - 8 years ago and, i did the elk, sambar stag, deer antler, but decided on moose for the most of my joint material.
it i believe is more durable than ivory, and has a better hit, as ivory is a bit more brittle.
2 draw backs, it is hard to find the really white horn, and the pieces i was buying for
5 - 7 bucks a few years ago are now costing 40 - 50.

Old
  (#12)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

03-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi2960 View Post
i started using horn 7 - 8 years ago and, i did the elk, sambar stag, deer antler, but decided on moose for the most of my joint material.
it i believe is more durable than ivory, and has a better hit, as ivory is a bit more brittle.
2 draw backs, it is hard to find the really white horn, and the pieces i was buying for
5 - 7 bucks a few years ago are now costing 40 - 50.
Prices have gone nuts.
I'll have to charge $150 more per cue now with two shafts if they want the stag collars.
Finding the right kind so I can thread them is hard and expensive.
Buttplates are even harder to find .

Old
  (#13)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Jack Madden has used horn a number of times on his cues, including joints, ferrules and butt caps. He would be a great source of information.

rookie...please check your pm's.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#14)
Cuebuddy
Vege-table
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2015, 11:51 AM

I have spent the last couple of hours turning joints, ferrules and butt caps out of Elk Mule deer and Coues deer. I like the Coues deer the best but the antlers are small. Small works for the cues I build. It is difficult to find sections of antler that will work because of its irregular shape and the Marrow area on the inside. Antler turns really well and there is almost no need for sanding.

In my opinion it is underused in pool cues.

Cuebuddy

"I'm terrified every time you shoot"
Chisolm W

"14-1, 9 ball, 8 ball whats the difference....you put balls in holes."
Measureman

Old
  (#15)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com

03-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
If you replaced a moose's antlers with phenolic, he'd lose a lot of battles.
Phenolic is resin on linen or canvas or paper .
If you bounce a phenolic tube and antler tube of the same sizes , the antler will have a higher pitch and will be louder .
Ha, Ha! That makes me wonder how it would be as a tip on Jump Cue!

336Robin

Comes with a lesson!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: