Reload this Page My favorite referee moment
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
My favorite referee moment
Old
  (#1)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

My favorite referee moment - 01-01-2019, 02:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hjbdyra1U

At the 35:00 minute mark. I'll bet some of you can guess what this is before clicking on the link. Makes me smile every time I see it!

Old
  (#2)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-e View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hjbdyra1U

At the 35:00 minute mark. I'll bet some of you can guess what this is before clicking on the link. Makes me smile every time I see it!
Good job ref!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#3)
$TAKE HOR$E
champagne - campaign
$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute$TAKE HOR$E has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Pool needs Mike Beltran as a ref

Don't be afraid to say what everyone else is thinking, they will talk about you forever
~ unknown

The human brain can subjugate anything, even real pain
~ Bruce Lee

Ya'll warned me, but I didnt listen.....
~ Death Ball

I'm not surprised motherf*%$#@'s
~ Nate Diaz

WWW.MACECUES.COM

DOOM
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463005

Old
  (#4)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 02:21 PM

These things can happen on any size of table...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeFDv8EFHoE

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by pt109; 01-01-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Old
  (#5)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 02:38 PM

One of my worst moments as a ref was while working the U.S. Open. One of my jobs was to take down the name cards for completed matches and put the new ones up for the next match. I was walking through the arena after coming back from a short break and saw a table with no one there and didn't notice any activity or cues nearby. The score on the wire was 10-9, so I assumed that the match had ended. I got the bridge and took down the name cards and returned the beads to 0-0, and went looking for the cards for the next match scheduled on that table.

When I returned both players were at the table staring at me. You know, the ones who had "completed" their match. I wasn't sure what to say, so I blurted out, "who won?" I was informed that the score was 10-9 and they had taken a break. Both their cues had been placed under the table, along with their cases. I quickly made my apologies and retreated as fast as I could, not noticing the spectators who were snickering at me. Later on, one of those spectators told me he and others had watched me, wondering what I was doing. No one said anything. They wanted to see what would happen when the players returned.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 01-01-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Old
  (#6)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

01-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Best ever ref moment was when Earl Strickland, the day after "behaving badly" at the Mosconi, appeared with flowers for Michaela Tabb.

Old
  (#7)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
One of my worst moments as a ref was while working the U.S. Open. One of my jobs was to take down the name cards for completed matches and put the new ones up for the next match. I was walking through the arena after coming back from a short break and saw a table with no one there and didn't notice any activity or cues nearby. The score on the wire was 10-9, so I assumed that the match had ended. I got the bridge and took down the name cards and returned the beads to 0-0, and went looking for the cards for the next match scheduled on that table.

When I returned both players were at the table staring at me. You know, the ones who had "completed" their match. I wasn't sure what to say, so I blurted out, "who won?" I was informed that the score was 10-9 and they had taken a break. Both their cues had been placed under the table, along with their cases. I quickly made my apologies and retreated as fast as I could, not noticing the spectators who were snickering at me. Later on, one of those spectators told me he and others had watched me, wondering what I was doing. No one said anything. They wanted to see what would happen when the players returned.
Lol... That's pool players for you, Jay... They'll never pass up an opportunity to see some sh*t go down!!!

Old
  (#8)
wigglybridge
14.1 straight pool!
wigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 07:35 PM

can't remember who was playing, but in a 14.1 match that's on video, Ken Shuman picked up the break ball when racking for a final some years back. they of course didn't have video like in the snooker match with Michaela...

OB-122 w/ OB Classic shaft

www.bobmills.org

Old
  (#9)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

01-01-2019, 08:00 PM

In the PPPA World 14.1 Championships at Asbury Park (it was either 1976 or 1977), there was a hurricane during the tournament.

Somebody mistakenly opened, briefly, one of the doors closest to the table on which Larry Lisciotti was playing, and all the balls were blown to the same rail, creating a ridiculous situation. The ref had no precedent on which to draw, so he asked Larry and his opponent to reproduce the position of the balls. Suffice it to say, neither knew where the balls had been but they took a shot at doing so. Once they did their best, the ref asked both of them whether they were satisfied with the corrected placement of the balls and both said OK.

As Lisciotti told the story, this created a dead ball which he went on to shoot. It was always one of Larry's favorite stories.

Old
  (#10)
RichSchultz
AzB Silver Member
RichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond reputeRichSchultz has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Good job ref!
i cringe whenever i see that one.

My favorite referee moment
Old
  (#11)
Get_A_Grip
Truth Will Set You Free
Get_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 562

My favorite referee moment - 01-01-2019, 08:08 PM

I was just watching this match from the PI and what I would think would be a very simple ruling, was being argued by Jeff Ignacio. Jeff was losing pretty bad.

Go to 1:02:00 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/nymXe2YG_0g

No ref involved, but still....

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

"The truth will set you free, after you've been beaten over the head with it until you accept it."

Last edited by Get_A_Grip; 01-01-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Old
  (#12)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglybridge View Post
can't remember who was playing, but in a 14.1 match that's on video, Ken Shuman picked up the break ball when racking for a final some years back. they of course didn't have video like in the snooker match with Michaela...

By definition, if you watched this on video.. they had video... :-D

Old
  (#13)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
In the PPPA World 14.1 Championships at Asbury Park (it was either 1976 or 1977), there was a hurricane during the tournament.

Somebody mistakenly opened, briefly, one of the doors closest to the table on which Larry Lisciotti was playing, and all the balls were blown to the same rail, creating a ridiculous situation. The ref had no precedent on which to draw, so he asked Larry and his opponent to reproduce the position of the balls. Suffice it to say, neither knew where the balls had been but they took a shot at doing so. Once they did their best, the ref asked both of them whether they were satisfied with the corrected placement of the balls and both said OK.

As Lisciotti told the story, this created a dead ball which he went on to shoot. It was always one of Larry's favorite stories.
That was the 1976 PPPA tournament which was their first. The hurricane was Belle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Belle My flight into Newark was one of the last to land for a while. I found my way to the Asbury Park oceanside arena -- it was built half over the water. Once I got inside and started to dry out, I found a seat and started to watch a match. You could hear the wind. The arena was large enough for hockey and had a very high roof. They have done bull riding there since.

Herb Lehman was the player at the table. He was studying the shot for a safety -- the balls were pretty spread out but he had nothing to shoot at. Suddenly the exit doors at that corner of the arena blew open and rain blew in horizontally across Herb's table, pushing all of the balls to one end. The scorers' projector screen blew over onto them. I was wondering whether the roof would hold. It did.

When the mist cleared, Herb restored the position and played a safety.

Perhaps there was similar excitement on another table, but the main blast was on Herb's table.

That was the second time I had seen rain go horizontally across an indoor pool table.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#14)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post

That was the second time I had seen rain go horizontally across an indoor pool table.
When was the first time?....

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
When was the first time?....
Took the words right out of my fingertips.

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: