Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Finally Found the Job I've Been Looking For!
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Finally Found the Job I've Been Looking For!
Old
  (#1)
Hunter
The King of Memes
Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond reputeHunter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000
Location: Arizona: Land of a Half Million Illegal Immigrants and a "dry heat"...

Finally Found the Job I've Been Looking For! - 06-11-2019, 09:26 PM

This just seems like the business I need to have in retirement. P.S. You kids get off my damned lawn!
Attached Images

"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you"...

Old
  (#2)
conetip
AzB Silver Member
conetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond reputeconetip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

06-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Interesting. The local bar down the road has been having different food trucks in on a Friday night and Saturday lunch or a Saturday dinner. Word is getting around, and if you don't get there on the early side, they sell out and you miss out. Not what I expected , and is really good stuff. Slightly more sophisticated than a cheese sandwich mind.

Neil Lickfold.
Cuttlefish Cues.
cuttlefishcues@gmail.com
Sorry, not taking any cue orders until further notice.

Old
  (#3)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-12-2019, 06:30 AM

$1 a sandwich... his margins have to be pretty tight. Not a good business plan. I like the attitude though,,.,,,,

And yes, for the record, tomato and onion on my gilled cheese, on Rye bread, and one slice American (the real stuff) and one slice Harvarit. I'd pay $5 for that all day long.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

I wanna be a cop!
Old
  (#4)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

I wanna be a cop! - 06-12-2019, 07:09 AM

Pensacola Beach Florida had an issue with ever shrinking bikinis. They passed an ordinance that tops had to cover thirty percent of the breasts if I remember rightly. I don't remember the thong rule or if they had one. They were going to have an officer whose full time job was to measure bikinis!

Rumor has it that the applicants ran into the thousands. Unfortunately they were "promoting" from within the existing force. I did wonder how long I could get away with impersonating a police officer. "I forgot my tape measure today so I am going by handspans."

What a job!

Hu

Old
  (#5)
Casual Observer
Viva... yeah whatever
Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-12-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
This just seems like the business I need to have in retirement. P.S. You kids get off my damned lawn!
Do they charge extra for hot sauce?

"...And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw..."

Neil Peart

...I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine...
Atlas Shrugged

Old
  (#6)
Kevin Lindstrom
14.1 Addict
Kevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6237

06-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Where does it say anything about sandwiches or white bread or anything to the sort. The way I read this truck is that you will be getting a piece of grilled cheese for 1 buck. Am I missing something here?

Kevin

SCREW IT LETS RIDE

Old
  (#7)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Pensacola Beach Florida had an issue with ever shrinking bikinis. They passed an ordinance that tops had to cover thirty percent of the breasts if I remember rightly. I don't remember the thong rule or if they had one. They were going to have an officer whose full time job was to measure bikinis!

Rumor has it that the applicants ran into the thousands. Unfortunately they were "promoting" from within the existing force. I did wonder how long I could get away with impersonating a police officer. "I forgot my tape measure today so I am going by handspans."

What a job!

Hu
Hell, save the cop costs and just hire a retired guy for FREE. Hell, hire a dozen retired guys for free.

Who ever thought this joke t-shirt would actually come to fruition one day....

FBI - Female Body Inspector

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

sad news
Old
  (#8)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

sad news - 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
Hell, save the cop costs and just hire a retired guy for FREE. Hell, hire a dozen retired guys for free.

Best I recall the position only lasted about six months. The town was such a laughingstock that they gave up on that idea. No doubt some fear of affecting the tourist dollar which is the beach's cash cow.

One of my first jobs was driving a delivery truck around the gulf coast. The early morning part of the run I would hit the sled. Coming back, hwy 90, the beach road! Somehow the trip coming back was a lot longer, something to do with seventeen and eighteen year old eyes. I was hired to drive a truck at seventeen. Took them months to get around to asking if I had a chauffeurs license, by then I had just turned eighteen and could get one!

Hu

Old
  (#9)
DelawareDogs
AzB <Platinum> Member
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
$1 a sandwich... his margins have to be pretty tight. Not a good business plan. I like the attitude though,,.,,,,

And yes, for the record, tomato and onion on my gilled cheese, on Rye bread, and one slice American (the real stuff) and one slice Harvarit. I'd pay $5 for that all day long.
Sounds like a great sandwich - what are the odds you're getting it at this establishment?

Old
  (#10)
DelawareDogs
AzB <Platinum> Member
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Please post this to the funny pic/gif thread! The people deserve to see

Old
  (#11)
Chili Palmer
Banned
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 01:21 PM

I bet the sandwiches are less than .15 a piece, that leaves .85 for trailer, electricity, propane (if applicable). 300 a day would net $255 times 20 (4 weeks at 5 days a week - a guy with that attitude ain't working the weekend) brings in $5100 a month for the aforementioned trailer payment, etc. I think that's doable.

Quote:

Quote:

Back in 7-8 grade a buddy's dad was in a band called FBI - Female Body Inspector, they had shirts and everything. His step-mom was smoking hot and they got divorced because the old man cheated on her with some bar fly.

They were Morman

Old
  (#12)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)

06-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I bet the sandwiches are less than .15 a piece, that leaves .85 for trailer, electricity, propane (if applicable). 300 a day would net $255 times 20 (4 weeks at 5 days a week - a guy with that attitude ain't working the weekend) brings in $5100 a month for the aforementioned trailer payment, etc. I think that's doable.
:
Ok, I'm going to cut you some slack because you don't own a business. I own a small one but the same principles apply to ones 100 times as big.

I'll even use your numbers. .15 for a sandwich and .85 for trailer loan, propane, insurance, and labor to make the sandwiches. That's $1.00 and leaves exactly no profit left. There is no meat on that bone.

Maybe the trailer is paid for, maybe he knows Hank Hill and gets a discount on propane, and he uses some really cheap butter, and Kraft singles (cheap garbage)... he might make ..25 per sandwich... and clear $75 for 12 hours (if he sells 300 sandwiches) in a small, hot trailer. Where do I sign up

I

TZAR Tips now available.

Old
  (#13)
Chili Palmer
Banned
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to cut you some slack because you don't own a business. I own a small one but the same principles apply to ones 100 times as big.

I'll even use your numbers. .15 for a sandwich and .85 for trailer loan, propane, insurance, and labor to make the sandwiches. That's $1.00 and leaves exactly no profit left. There is no meat on that bone.

Maybe the trailer is paid for, maybe he knows Hank Hill and gets a discount on propane, and he uses some really cheap butter, and Kraft singles (cheap garbage)... he might make ..25 per sandwich... and clear $75 for 12 hours (if he sells 300 sandwiches) in a small, hot trailer. Where do I sign up

CHEESE:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/sch...75772004C.html

$42.94/4 = 10.74/120 (slices per package) = .09 a slice.

BREAD:

Cheap bread - I went $1 a loaf but you can definitely get it cheaper, you can actually get it for .50 a loaf at the bread stores.

$1.00/24 (slices) = .04

BUTTER:

I admit, I was wrong here, I assumed it would be about .02 for the butter, turns out it's .09

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gra...874880003.html

55lbs @ $166.62 - roughly 32 tablespoons @ 1 tablespoon a sandwich (remember - he's a cheap bastard) that's 1760 sandwiches for $166.62 for .09

That's .22 a sandwich. And that's with overpriced bread, so let's bring that to .20 for math's sake.

300 sandwiches a day @ 20 days = $6000K in income - $1800 for taxes = $4200 in revenue (this is an S corp so the income will pass through a K1 to his personal income, if this is all he does then his tax rate should be fairly low, he's not getting rich).

Indirect (i.e. fixed or "period" costs would be:

Insurance - survey says $2k a year - $166 a month
Gas - None
Propane - $200 a month. I worked at gas station part time and the best Philly sandwich trailer in the world was right down the street, they filled their propane tanks with us at about $160 a month - so $200 is slightly high.
Electricity - not sure - we'll give it $200 a month also.
I'm in a hurry so probably missing something so we'll throw in $200 a month for fun.

That's $766 a month for indirect expenses and $1200 for direct costs for a total of $1966.

Take that from your $4200 and you'll get $2234.

And just for fun:

If he works 5 hours a day that's 100 hours a month so he's getting $22.34 an hour.

So just for fun - if he wants to make $20 an hour and he plans on 300 sandwiches his daily burn rate would be $198.30
. So technically speaking he could sell $200 sandwiches and still make $1 more than his $20 an hour.

Clearly, this is a perfect example and I'm probably missing something (maintenance comes to mind) and I really doubt 300 neighborhood kids would buy a sandwich.

Point being, it's doable.

P.S. I'm an accountant (so I might know a little about running a small business) AND I'm a pretty good cook so my millennial daughter and most of my friends want me to open BBQ trailer (Q the BBQ recommendation thread )

Trailer payment, damn. Let's just assume he's a grumpy millenial and his rich mom and dad bought him a trailer!

Or - $25K over 5 years at 5%, just under $500 a month. Burn rate goes to $223.30, so he needs to sell 223 sammiches to make $20 an hour.

Last edited by Chili Palmer; 06-12-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Old
  (#14)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 03:07 AM

Forgot refrigeration. Cheese and butter should be kept cool.
And kept cool around the clock.

What about a grill and utensils?

Payment to get a food license plus extra to receive it in a
reasonable time. Commercial drivers license. It's just the
inconvenience and time to get it.

How about a furnace for the winter or is this a summer
business? If so then your loan needs attention during the
offseason.

Of course, fuel is required to propel the vehicle. There is
food spoilage and if not governmental agencies will inspect
you to ensure you are a health conscious enterprise.

I have a friend that runs an Ice Cream truck. And that is
a summer business. So his truck is in storage when not
being used. Haven't seen him in a while. He winters in
Florida and works there as a medical tech in a hospital.

The Cheese Sandwich business seems better suited to
the south and west where it could be producing year
round.

It isn't a strawberry and cream operation like at a horse
race.

When the business starts there will be very few customers.
So a few hundred is out of the question. Either word of
mouth or advertising.

If it's not successful, then there is the dispersal of equipment
to offset some of the loans.

Best to talk directly to this businessman about everything
truck restaurant related. Maybe he will sell you a franchise
to shorten your learning curve.

Last edited by Slide Rule; 06-13-2019 at 03:22 AM.

Old
  (#15)
Chili Palmer
Banned

06-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide Rule View Post

Forgot refrigeration. Cheese and butter should be kept cool.
And kept cool around the clock.

What about a grill and utensils?

All of the above come with the trailer (utensils are cheap).

Payment to get a food license plus extra to receive it in a
reasonable time. Commercial drivers license. It's just the
inconvenience and time to get it.

First rendition had $500 for licensing and besides, I put the full $25K in the loan, clearly, this old crusty bastard has run a successful chalk business and had money for a down payment, therefore he has a few dollars left for "incidentals". No CDL needed, this is a trailer, in his yard. - and if it's ME running it, I already have a CDL

How about a furnace for the winter or is this a summer
business? If so then your loan needs attention during the
offseason.

Year round - and the propane covers the heat - at least it did at the Philly sandwich shop. Actually, given a propane grill is going to be in a 150 sq ft area I'm guessing not much heat is needed, AC on the other hand... (Oh, and if you're ever in Coeur d'Alene, ID you HAVE to hit Best Sandwich Shack!, best Philly you'll have, including those in Philly).

Of course, fuel is required to propel the vehicle. There is
food spoilage and if not governmental agencies will inspect
you to ensure you are a health conscious enterprise.

Moot point - trailer in his front yard

I have a friend that runs an Ice Cream truck. And that is
a summer business. So his truck is in storage when not
being used. Haven't seen him in a while. He winters in
Florida and works there as a medical tech in a hospital.

Moot point - trailer in his front yard

The Cheese Sandwich business seems better suited to
the south and west where it could be producing year
round.

It isn't a strawberry and cream operation like at a horse
race.

Meh, food trucks are the rage these days, as long as the food doesn't kill anyone people will buy it.

When the business starts there will be very few customers.
So a few hundred is out of the question. Either word of
mouth or advertising.

Agreed, good thing he can rely on his chalk business

If it's not successful, then there is the dispersal of equipment
to offset some of the loans.

It would work, it would have to work, besides, as mentioned, this guy previously ran a successful chalk business so he knows what he's doing!

Best to talk directly to this businessman about everything
truck restaurant related. Maybe he will sell you a franchise
to shorten your learning curve.

Not sure if that was directed straight at me regarding my BBQ trailer. If so, I know a guy that could help. This guy would let me hang with him to learn the ropes, he'd probably even help me learn the side (his pepperjack and mac is killer!). And just for fun - I gave him some of my brisket and he said it was the second best brisket in town (next to his of course).

https://drumminupbbq.com/

Off to count beans.

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: