Which cues goes up in price over time?

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HI. Just talking about monetary value. I noticed that southwest seems to go up as time goes by. Any other cues you notice doing the same thing? Thanks for your input.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like McDermott D series....nothing scientific to back it up though

Also, certain Scruggs.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Possibly

Possibly some of the well known CueMakers from the 90's who have either retired or died.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Certain vintage cues seem to get harder to find and therefore the price goes up slowly.
Brunswick Titlist and the Professionals are a good example. Brunswick sold thousands of these cues over many years so they will not be super rare in my life but they do seem to go up in value. The fact that many are used for conversions or in collections helps.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HI. Just talking about monetary value. I noticed that southwest seems to go up as time goes by. Any other cues you notice doing the same thing? Thanks for your input.
All the desirable ones. Go to the high-end cue sites and you'll see those that bring the most $$$. JOSSWest, Scruggs, Szamboti(both), Prewitt, Cogs. There are a lot of them.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would invest as much money in Carbon Fiber shafts as you can afford.

I’m kinda guessing here at the manufacturing process....but I see CF shafts getting LESS
valuable....for two reasons.

The early ones are expensive ‘cause you’re paying for the research and developement.
....the more they make, the cheaper they are to produce...unlike custom cues.
..then the updated versions will come....to keep the price up....

...Apple’s first IPad had no camera and a bunch of other useful things...
...I still have an original...still works good...value is very little.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member

If I were investing my money in cues I would only buy traditional looking cues from top tier cue makers that
no longer make cues.HOF makers would be top of my list. I could be wrong but traditional look seems to always sell. Recently (in the last 10 years or so ) I've
noticed that non traditional cues by top makers like
Black, Stroud, Scruggs ect. seem to hold value but don't seem to be increasing like there traditional ones. I could be wrong but that's how I would buy if I had the money
to invest.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This seems to be the shaping up as the worst advice ever thread.
Carry on.
Jason

I must spread more around before I can rep you again

To answer the OP, the answer is none. Even the Southwest market is slowing. Used tools do not go up in value. More cues are produced every day.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must spread more around before I can rep you again

To answer the OP, the answer is none. Even the Southwest market is slowing. Used tools do not go up in value. More cues are produced every day.
Just my $.02 but i think the fact that younger players don't know or care about classic cues is the big reason for this. They want new, hi-tech stuff and couldn't care less about a "Josszambalaprewitt". They look at them as old, hi-deflection antiques.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were investing my money in cues I would only buy traditional looking cues from top tier cue makers that
no longer make cues.HOF makers would be top of my list. I could be wrong but traditional look seems to always sell. Recently (in the last 10 years or so ) I've
noticed that non traditional cues by top makers like
Black, Stroud, Scruggs ect. seem to hold value but don't seem to be increasing like there traditional ones. I could be wrong but that's how I would buy if I had the money
to invest.
This...why I will never sell my TAD (thanks Kirby) and never shoot with another cue.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Just my $.02 but i think the fact that younger players don't know or care about classic cues is the big reason for this. They want new, hi-tech stuff and couldn't care less about a "Josszambalaprewitt". They look at them as old, hi-deflection antiques.

More supply, less demand. Prices have to drop

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More supply, less demand. Prices have to drop
How do you figure more supply? A lot of the so-called classics were made by people either retired or dead. If you go to tournaments today you see a bunch of Predators and various other production cues. I think the true classics will always be expensive but as that market ages(and dies) very few will have interest in them. I know some really top players that look at classic cues as complete dinosaurs.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
How do you figure more supply? A lot of the so-called classics were made by people either retired or dead. If you go to tournaments today you see a bunch of Predators and various other production cues. I think the true classics will always be expensive but as that market ages(and dies) very few will have interest in them. I know some really top players that look at classic cues as complete dinosaurs.

I meant, more cues are made every day in whatever style you want. Production, dozens more "cuemakers" popping up every year, true custom shops.

Fewer people that care about these cues, let alone that the volume is increasing dramatically.

It's not a good recipe for investing, and everyone who uses the phrase "investing in cues" as anything but a perjorative has an agenda.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I meant, more cues are made every day in whatever style you want. Production, dozens more "cuemakers" popping up every year, true custom shops.

Fewer people that care about these cues, let alone that the volume is increasing dramatically.

It's not a good recipe for investing, and everyone who uses the phrase "investing in cues" as anything but a perjorative has an agenda.

As for investing, unfortunately you're right. Millennials have less and less interest collecting anything. That time has come and gone...for now. But history has shown excellence is eventually sought after.

I think it's up to those who know and get it, to share their knowkedge, desires and why. It's hard for some though because so many who do "know" won't because it'll create an awareness and competition that could possibly derail their own conquest.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Irony...a similar question pops up on car guy forums I visit.

My advice, buy what you like. Even if the market goes south, which it often does, you'll have something you enjoy. To predict future prices is a fool's errand.

Last edited: