Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page He fetishized the military but the generals have had it with feckless, reckless Trump

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
He fetishized the military but the generals have had it with feckless, reckless Trump
Old
  (#1)
Pangit
AzB Silver Member
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

He fetishized the military but the generals have had it with feckless, reckless Trump - 10-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Donald Trump, like all strongmen, fetishizes military might. He dreams of parading armies down the streets of Washington. He exalts men with weapons the way football fans deify their favorite quarterbacks.

Generals have always occupied a special place in Trump’s psyche. “General Mattis is a strong, highly dignified man,” Trump said in 2016, shortly before he tapped Jim Mattis to be his defense secretary. “You know he’s known as Mad Dog Mattis, right? Mad Dog for a reason.”

The generals, though, are through with him. Mattis, no longer defense secretary, ridiculed Trump on Thursday night for dodging the Vietnam war and obsessing over fast food. The quips came after an infuriated Trump, on the defensive after Republicans and Democrats joined forces to condemn him for withdrawing troops from Syria, called Mattis the world’s most “overrated” general.

“I have earned my spurs on the battlefield,” Mattis said. “Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from his doctor.”

“The only person in the military Mr Trump does not feel is overrated,” he added, was Colonel Sanders, the founder of KFC.

William McRaven, a retired four-star navy admiral who led the US special operations command under George W Bush and Barack Obama, piled on Friday in a scathing New York Times op-ed, criticizing Trump for abandoning the Kurds in Syria. “If our promises are meaningless, how will our allies ever trust us?” he wrote. “If we can’t have faith in our nation’s principles, why would the men and women of this nation join the military?”

It must be embarrassing for a president to be so thoroughly rebuked by those he formerly worshiped. Trump is far from losing the Republican party, which now belongs entirely to him, but he has successfully shattered the link between the GOP and the traditional foreign policy establishment. Now facing impeachment, Trump has suddenly lent hawks like Lindsey Graham and Mitt Romney a rationale for one day voting against him.

This does not mean his presidency is imperiled. And it does not mean that Trump’s approach to foreign policy, too feckless to be regarded as doveish or even isolationist, should be scrapped for what Graham or the generals desire, which is more war, forever war, troops marching through ravaged nations until the end of the century and beyond.

Trump, in his own peculiar way, has a native instinct that resists the most violent impulses of his party. He has lied about his initial opposition to the Iraq war but is one of the only prominent Republicans who continues to condemn the myopic interventionism that once dominated both the Republican and Democratic foreign policy establishments. But unlike, say, Bernie Sanders, who offers a robust vision for a world where America no longer plays policeman with nukes, Trump has no workable alternative. His impulses are authoritarian

– I alone can fix it – and ultimately reckless.

Progressives shouldn’t root for a soft-style military junta, either, as some on the left are wont to do. The generals need less power, not more. It was Trump who, through the recruitment of Mattis and the former White House chief of staff John Kelly, uncomfortably merged domestic and military affairs. The generals, in turn, saw the madness up close.

We can enjoy the turn of the generals, just as we can hope a Republican party currently cowed by Trump finds the courage to snuff him out. Of course, unlike Republican politicians, the generals do not have to be accountable to Trump’s ravenous base, the voters who may just keep him around for a second term. They can afford to ignore Fox News. For these facts alone, they cannot be regarded as bellwethers of a true resistance. We can only take comfort in Mattis’ quips and move on.

Old
  (#2)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 09:51 AM

They have had it because there will be less promotion parties for them.

They are the MIC.

If there are no wars, they have no way to get fruit salad on their chests and get promoted.

Old
  (#3)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-19-2019, 10:19 AM

yay, more mindless drivel & propaganda from our resident driveby propagandist! See this thread if in doubt: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=499879

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow idiotic comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Old
  (#4)
tableroll
AzB Silver Member
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post

Donald Trump, like all strongmen, fetishizes military might. He dreams of parading armies down the streets of Washington. He exalts men with weapons the way football fans deify their favorite quarterbacks.

Generals have always occupied a special place in Trump’s psyche. “General Mattis is a strong, highly dignified man,” Trump said in 2016, shortly before he tapped Jim Mattis to be his defense secretary. “You know he’s known as Mad Dog Mattis, right? Mad Dog for a reason.”

The generals, though, are through with him. Mattis, no longer defense secretary, ridiculed Trump on Thursday night for dodging the Vietnam war and obsessing over fast food. The quips came after an infuriated Trump, on the defensive after Republicans and Democrats joined forces to condemn him for withdrawing troops from Syria, called Mattis the world’s most “overrated” general.

“I have earned my spurs on the battlefield,” Mattis said. “Donald Trump earned his spurs in a letter from his doctor.”

“The only person in the military Mr Trump does not feel is overrated,” he added, was Colonel Sanders, the founder of KFC.

William McRaven, a retired four-star navy admiral who led the US special operations command under George W Bush and Barack Obama, piled on Friday in a scathing New York Times op-ed, criticizing Trump for abandoning the Kurds in Syria. “If our promises are meaningless, how will our allies ever trust us?” he wrote. “If we can’t have faith in our nation’s principles, why would the men and women of this nation join the military?”

It must be embarrassing for a president to be so thoroughly rebuked by those he formerly worshiped. Trump is far from losing the Republican party, which now belongs entirely to him, but he has successfully shattered the link between the GOP and the traditional foreign policy establishment. Now facing impeachment, Trump has suddenly lent hawks like Lindsey Graham and Mitt Romney a rationale for one day voting against him.

This does not mean his presidency is imperiled. And it does not mean that Trump’s approach to foreign policy, too feckless to be regarded as doveish or even isolationist, should be scrapped for what Graham or the generals desire, which is more war, forever war, troops marching through ravaged nations until the end of the century and beyond.

Trump, in his own peculiar way, has a native instinct that resists the most violent impulses of his party. He has lied about his initial opposition to the Iraq war but is one of the only prominent Republicans who continues to condemn the myopic interventionism that once dominated both the Republican and Democratic foreign policy establishments. But unlike, say, Bernie Sanders, who offers a robust vision for a world where America no longer plays policeman with nukes, Trump has no workable alternative. His impulses are authoritarian

– I alone can fix it – and ultimately reckless.

Progressives shouldn’t root for a soft-style military junta, either, as some on the left are wont to do. The generals need less power, not more. It was Trump who, through the recruitment of Mattis and the former White House chief of staff John Kelly, uncomfortably merged domestic and military affairs. The generals, in turn, saw the madness up close.

We can enjoy the turn of the generals, just as we can hope a Republican party currently cowed by Trump finds the courage to snuff him out. Of course, unlike Republican politicians, the generals do not have to be accountable to Trump’s ravenous base, the voters who may just keep him around for a second term. They can afford to ignore Fox News. For these facts alone, they cannot be regarded as bellwethers of a true resistance. We can only take comfort in Mattis’ quips and move on.
The weakness of the human brain is truly amazing. And they get to vote. This is why we need the electoral college.

Old
  (#5)
UGOTDA7
Ban pending.....
UGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 03:39 PM

The military could use about a 70% cut of General Officers...many are politicians who exist only to serve themselves and in reality don't contribute anything tangible for the betterment of the organization or country. Mattis and McRaven have ruined their legacies by selling out to the leftist hysteria and seeking their approval...it's sad to see - but like so many others it's good to be able to identify those who have done so.

Old
  (#6)
Call_me_Tom
AzB Bronze Member
Call_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGOTDA7 View Post
The military could use about a 70% cut of General Officers...many are politicians who exist only to serve themselves and in reality don't contribute anything tangible for the betterment of the organization or country. Mattis and McRaven have ruined their legacies by selling out to the leftist hysteria and seeking their approval...it's sad to see - but like so many others it's good to be able to identify those who have done so.

I think the majority of military members would disagree with you on Mattis.

Cues: Katana KAT09 • McDermott GS02C2 & Custom Clover • 1811
Shafts: Katana KATXS1 • McDermott Traditional & G-Core • OB Plus Pro • Jacoby Black • Pechauer Black Ice
Cases: Katana 1/1 • McDermott 1/1 • JB Cases 4/8

Old
  (#7)
JC
Banned
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
Of course you do.

Old
  (#8)
avmaster
Man of Reason
avmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-20-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
I don't........ UGO has it pegged regarding General officers...... politicians ...........

Playing cue: Kenny Murrell
Break cue: 55 year old Helmstetter

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment.This is because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Hey, it's your world, I'm just passing through it......

Old
  (#9)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 10:36 AM

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xe...litary.361383/

This was a year ago. Hope this helps.

God bless each and every one of you

Old
  (#10)
tom haney
AzB Silver Member
tom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond reputetom haney has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 10:43 AM

Why do the Marines love Mattis?

Max Roberts
Answered Nov 29 2018 · Upvoted by James Phillabaum, former S/Sgt. at U.S. Marine Corps (1963-1972) ·

+
He is demanding and fair. He was an enlisted Marine before college. Before that he was an outdoorsman.
He talks to the lowest private as he would to anyone else. He listens. Needless to add, a private’s responsibilities — mainly for himself as a competent rifleman — are narrow. Mattis would want mostly to know how the private was doing and if he had any worries that were others’ responsibility to handle.
Mattis is also a high-level thinker, but his discussion does not wander off into discussing philosophy as philosophy or making learned quotes. He would note t how some historic thinker’s lesson applied to a situation everyone is now struggling with.
Something most naval and military leaders are blind to is how their management approach leaves them blind. It works like this. When the top guy wants to know something or to spread the word, he calls a meeting which all attend.
This top-down approach assumes:
1 the organization is a uniform monolith.
2 the guy at the top always knows the situation below him and what is best.
3 everyone below him is there just to do what he says to do
4 that each level of manager under the top guy also knows the situation below HIM and what is best. The problems with this should be obvious.
Naval and military organizations provide members a great deal of training. The training focusses on ways solutions to problems that work most of the time.
The problem is that the guy at the top cannot just intuit the situation below him. If he does not know the situation how can his solutions to any problems be best. In Vietnam, Gen Westmoreland was a prime example of how a campaign can start to drift off course without the guy at the top any the wiser.
The way around this is for the guy at the top to get out of his HQ and visit commanders under him, then listen, then ask questions, then listen and discuss. Periodically, he even goes to lower levels and eventually covers a very broad sampling.
In a more static situation, imagine a manager of a large farm. He cannot check out the whole farm each new day. So one day he checks a manageable piece and returns to his HQ to keep matters flowing. Then another another day he checks another manageable piece, then still another part next day another manageable piece and so on until he has covered the whole operation and met a large proportion of commanders.
If combat managers at each level check those below them daily, the people at the bottom level—squad types get checked very often. Their input is solicited and heard out.
Going the other way, platoon- or patrol-level officers should seek seasoned NCO’s advice. That does not mean they must follow it, but not to learn what NCO’s have to contribute is plain dumb.
Mattis was really good about checking out where the troops were and learning their concerns. When the top guy bothers to do that and honestly listens, platoon- or patrol-level fighters know they are not somewhere out of sight, out of mind.

God bless each and every one of you

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: