Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Bad Day in Dallas
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Bad Day in Dallas
Old
  (#1)
SJDinPHX
AzB Silver Member
SJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Bad Day in Dallas - 03-05-2008, 12:04 PM

A Bad Day In Dallas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I am posting this story for my friend, SJDinPHX, "San Jose" Dick McMorran, who is currently experiencing computer technical problems and is unable to post it under his own name)

A Bad Day in Dallas

by Dick (San Jose) Mc Morran

For more years than I care to remember my life has consisted of matching up and getting down. The larger cities had great old rooms where all the guys doing the same thing would come together to try and get the best of each other. But most of the time, it was on the road in a strange town where you could slip in, unknown, and get some "soft" action playing the hometown champion. Many times I have wished I'd chosen a little softer career path.

Shortly before the assasination of JFK, I left San Jose and moved to Dallas. It was an ominous beginning to the best 7 or 8 years of my life. Within a few hundred miles of where I settled in Arlington, there was all the action (soft and tough) any player could want. Wichita, O.K. City, Tulsa, Shreveport, and Houston were all less than a tank of gas away. With gas at thirty cents a gallon, my 1959 Buick rarely saw under 80 MPH getting to where the action was.

Now to my story. I'm awakened at 3 AM from a sound sleep by a voice I recognized immediately. It's Puckett and he said "Get your ass down here right now"! Only half awake and lying next to the sweetest "pool groupie" I'd ever met, I said "F--- you"! U.J. went on to explain. A mutual acquaintance of ours, George McGann was loser some serious money, backing U.J. against some young stranger. George wants you to get over here and try and get him even. The kid says he'll wait so hurry up". I threw on some clothes and got a warning from Sweetie Pie (she tended bar for George) and she said "Watch out for him, he can be real mean". I knew that very well. I said "Not to worry, he's going to be on my side". I was forty minutes away from George's bar on Lemon Street; I made it in twenty five.

I knew that George was probably the most dangerous and unpredictable tush-hog in all of Texas. T.J. Parker, who owned a pool room in Houston, was just as mean, but not as crazy. George was known to brag about his many enemies "disappearance"..Yeah, they found him dead in the desert shot full of holes, terrible case of "suicide".

As I entered, George, Puckett and Billy T. (another Dallas tough guy and a real good friend) were sitting at the end of the bar. A young handsome blond guy was dancing to some loud music with his girlfriend. This kid, I learned later, was Surfer Rod. It was our first of many encounters. The guys filled me in on what had happened. George was $800 loser backing U.J. at $50-$100 eight ball. Billy T. was a few hundred loser side betting. That's a lot of money in today's dollars. After trying to get him to play nine ball, Rod finally stopped dancing long enough to flip a coin and we kicked it off for $50 a game eight ball.

Bar table eight ball was not my best game. After a few hours of see-sawing, I was a game or two loser. Rod was playing pretty solid. In a flash of brilliance I said "Let's jack it to $100 and play last pocket". Rod danced over to the juke box and said "You got it". Puckett agreed that should give me an edge and sheepishly admitted he should have thought of that.

Sure enough, I won about 5-6 games in a row and Rod said "That's all, I quit". I sensed something was going down. Billy T. left (very unusual)
and James Pelfrey came in. James was one of George's pet gofers and a poorly educated, big, mean tush-hog. James would literally "kill" for George. He was a real loose cannon. As Rod is gathering up his stuff, George came out from behind the bar with the biggest handgun I'd ever seen. He put it right up to Rod's temple and said "You ain't quitting Mother F-----r!" I tried to calm George down and even told him I wouldn't play under those conditions. He's still got the gun two inches from poor Rod's head, he turned his wild eyes in my direction and said "Yes you will, Dick".

Whatever medication George was on, in his mind, this was an honorable way to get his money back, short of an outright heist. He told Rod if he busted us, he could leave with no problem..right! Rod and I had no choice but to continue the charade at virtual gunpoint. He threw me a few more games (George was still a few hundred loser) and Rod, never short on pure guts, said "I quit, shoot me if you want to". Puckett had gotten George calmed down a little by that time and he let Rod and his sobbing girlfriend leave the joint. I followed him out to the parking lot and his car had been ransacked, trunk pried open, seats and floor mats pulled up, etc. I hadn't noticed but James had been absent for the last half hour.

I was profusely apologetic about what had taken place. He understood it was not my fault. In fact we met and played the very next night, just the two of us, at an undisclosed location. Once again, Rod did not like it. He got robbed without a gun to his head! But that's another story.

If anyone wants more information about what a dangerous character this George McGann was

See post # 13 (This thread) for link to Geo. Mc Gann. It is a fascinating read by an old friend...Johnny Hughes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Charles M : 03-02-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 03-06-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Bassmaster
Gone Fishin
Bassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBassmaster has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-05-2008, 12:12 PM

Good story!

Old
  (#3)
ironman
AzB Silver Member
ironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond reputeironman has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX
A Bad Day In Dallas

(I am posting this story for my friend, SJDinPHX, "San Jose" Dick McMorran, who is currently experiencing computer technical problems and is unable to post it under his own name)

A Bad Day in Dallas

by Dick (San Jose) Mc Morran

For more years than I care to remember my life has consisted of matching up and getting down. The larger cities had great old rooms where all the guys doing the same thing would come together to try and get the best of each other. But most of the time, it was on the road in a strange town where you could slip in, unknown, and get some "soft" action playing the hometown champion. Many times I have wished I'd chosen a little softer career path.

Shortly before the assination of JFK, I left San Jose and moved to Dallas. It was an ominous beginning to the best 7 or 8 years of my life. Within a few hundred miles of where I settled in Arlington, there was all the action (soft and tough) any player could want. Wichita, O.K. City, Tulsa, Shreveport, and Houston were all less than a tank of gas away. With gas at thirty cents a gallon, my 1959 Buick rarely saw under 80 MPH getting to where the action was.

Now to my story. I'm awakened at 3 AM from a sound sleep by a voice I recognized immediately. It's Puckett and he said "Get your ass down here right now"! Only half awake and lying next to the sweetest "pool groupie" I'd ever met, I said "F--- you"! U.J. went on to explain. A mutual acquaintance of ours, George McGann was loser some serious money, backing U.J. against some young stranger. George wants you to get over here and try and get him even. The kid says he'll wait so hurry up". I threw on some clothes and got a warning from Sweetie Pie (she tended bar for George) and she said "Watch out for him, he can be real mean". I knew that very well. I said "Not to worry, he's going to be on my side". I was forty minutes away from George's bar on Lemon Street; I made it in twenty five.

I knew that George was probably the most dangerous and unpredictable tush-hog in all of Texas. T.J. Parker, who owned a pool room in Houston, was just as mean, but not as crazy. George was known to brag about his many enemies "disappearance"..Yeah, they found him dead in the desert shot full of holes, terrible case of "suicide".

As I entered, George, Puckett and Billy T. (another Dallas tough guy and a real good friend) were sitting at the end of the bar. A young handsome blond guy was dancing to some loud music with his girlfriend. This kid, I learned later, was Surfer Rod. It was our first of many encounters. The guys filled me in on what had happened. George was $800 loser backing U.J. at $50-$100 eight ball. Billy T. was a few hundred loser side betting. That's a lot of money in today's dollars. After trying to get him to play nine ball, Rod finally stopped dancing long enough to flip a coin and we kicked it off for $50 a game eight ball.

Bar table eight ball was not my best game. After a few hours of see-sawing, I was a game or two loser. Rod was playing pretty solid. In a flash of brilliance I said "Let's jack it to $100 and play last pocket". Rod danced over to the juke box and said "You got it". Puckett agreed that should give me an edge and sheepishly admitted he should have thought of that.

Sure enough, I won about 5-6 games in a row and Rod said "That's all, I quit". I sensed something was going down. Billy T. left (very unusual)
and James Pelfrey came in. James was one of George's pet gofers and a poorly educated, big, mean tush-hog. James would literally "kil"? for George. He was a real loose cannon. As Rod is gathering up his stuff, George came out from behind the bar with the biggest handgun I'd ever seen. He put it right up to Rod's temple and said "You ain't quitting Mother F-----r!" I tried to calm George down and even told him I wouldn't play under those conditions. He's still got the gun two inches from poor Rod's head, he turned his wild eyes in my direction and said "Yes you will, Dick".

Whatever medication George was on, in his mind, this was an honorable way to get his money back, short of an outright heist. He told Rod if he busted us, he could leave with no problem..right! Rod and I had no choice but to continue the charade at virtual gunpoint. He threw me a few more games (George was still a few hundred loser) and Rod, never short on pure guts, said "I quit, shoot me if you want to". Puckett had gotten George calmed down a little by that time and he let Rod and his sobbing girlfriend leave the joint. I followed him out to the parking lot and his car had been ransacked, trunk pried open, seats and floor mats pulled up, etc. I hadn't noticed but James had been absent for the last half hour.

I was profusely apologetic about what had taken place. He understood it was not my fault. In fact we met and played the very next night, just the two of us, at an undisclosed location. Once again, Rod did not like it. He got robbed without a gun to his head! But that's another story.

If anyone wants more information about what a dangerous character this George McGann was, check out this link to a blog post by Johny Hughes, an old card mechanic friend of mine.

http://guinnessandpoker.blogspot.com...8_archive.html

Last edited by Charles M : 03-02-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Great story! Rod was an incredible character and not short on guts,or heart.
I took him to a couple of spots and he scared the hell out of me more than once.

TJ Parker??? I'm scared to even talk about him .

Old
  (#4)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
03-05-2008, 01:30 PM

great story, thanks!

Old
  (#5)
Sweet Marissa
www.Bella-Muse.com
Sweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Marissa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1250

03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Wow! What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Old
  (#6)
SJDinPHX
AzB Silver Member
SJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond reputeSJDinPHX has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman
Great story! Rod was an incredible character and not short on guts,or heart.
I took him to a couple of spots and he scared the hell out of me more than once.

TJ Parker??? I'm scared to even talk about him .
Ironman, Rod and I are the only two guys in that story who are still above
ground. A mutual aquaintence hooked us up and we spoke by phone the
other day. He's 65 now, sounds pretty good. All he plays now is the
stock market. I think he lurks on here. He has a web site for stock tips
I believe its " Surfer Rod.com" He remembers that night 40 some yrs. ago
quite well.
Dick

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 03-06-2008 at 06:56 AM.

Old
  (#7)
SJDinPHX
AzB Silver Member

03-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Marissa
Wow! What a great story! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Marissa, glad you enjoyed it.
SJD

Old
  (#8)
MOJOE
Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
MOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond reputeMOJOE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325
  Send a message via AIM to MOJOE Send a message via Yahoo to MOJOE  
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM

I always enjoy stories from the road. Sure would not want to be Surfer Rod that evening..

Outstanding, Dick
Old
  (#9)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding, Dick - 03-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Great story, Dick.
It brings back many memories. One important one was the decision to not go to Dallas in those days to play pool. I had already heard about TJ Parker, and others who frequented the Cotton Palace from 3 finger Ronnie Sypher. He mentioned another lunatic who hung there who would stick guys up right in the pool room and go back and sit down. Very famous, Im sure you can recall him. Charley Boyd? That kinda sounds familiar. I knew Surfer Rod from his pre Hippie days in Miami in the 60s. He always played great 8 ball with the big cue ball. He even beat Ronnie Allen playing 1pkt on the bar table with the big ball once. He did have big balls in his shorts too, I ran into Rod in OK city, he was hustling those dangerous country bars with hair down to his ass, a full beard, and flowing robes and sandals. They called him "Pool playing Jesus." I did play in Houston at Le Cue and Amarillo, but I was scared of Dallas.

the Beard

Dick, I would like to put your story up on my "War Stories" page if that would be ok with you.

All others, check out my new, souped up website and blog. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.
I have added a new page that will be updated regularly called, "War Stories, but not by Oliver North."

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#10)
SJDinPHX
AzB Silver Member

03-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
Great story, Dick.
It brings back many memories. One important one was the decision to not go to Dallas in those days to play pool. I had already heard about TJ Parker, and others who frequented the Cotton Palace from 3 finger Ronnie Sypher. He mentioned another lunatic who hung there who would stick guys up right in the pool room and go back and sit down. Very famous, Im sure you can recall him. Charley Boyd? That kinda sounds familiar. I knew Surfer Rod from his pre Hippie days in Miami in the 60s. He always played great 8 ball with the big cue ball. He even beat Ronnie Allen playing 1pkt on the bar table with the big ball once. He did have big balls in his shorts too, I ran into Rod in OK city, he was hustling those dangerous country bars with hair down to his ass, a full beard, and flowing robes and sandals. They called him "Pool playing Jesus." I did play in Houston at Le Cue and Amarillo, but I was scared of Dallas.

the Beard

Dick, I would like to put your story up on my "War Stories" page if that would be ok with you.

All others, check out my new, souped up website and blog. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.
I have added a new page that will be updated regularly called, "War Stories, but not by Oliver North."
Hi Fred,
You're welcome to use the Surfer Rod story,I have about 20 more. I used
to "stalk" him. Wherever the Surfer surfaced,I was there. I think he and
Ray Humphrey (Houston) were the only two guys from that era that I
batted 1000% against. Talked to him,on
the phone yesterday, he's a pretty good guy. Puckett labled him a "Traveling
Pool Sucker" ,but then hey, he beat U.J.! I'm not to good at typing, feel free to give
me a call sometime. I'll PM you my #. And yes I knew Charlie Boyd up
close and personal!!!
Regards,
Dick

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 03-06-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Old
  (#11)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

03-06-2008, 06:51 PM

TapTapTap VERY enjoyable stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

The link at the end of the story would not work for me.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#12)
renard
Play in these conditions?
renard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond reputerenard has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2008, 06:58 PM

Great read, love these posts, keep them coming!

"The soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears." ~ The Minquass

Try this link:
Old
  (#13)
Charles M
AzB Bronze Member
Charles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond reputeCharles M has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link: - 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM

http://guinnessandpoker.blogspot.com...8_archive.html

Old
  (#14)
SJDinPHX
AzB Silver Member

03-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS

Jim, Thanks, I know there is a problem with the link to Geo. McGann.
Got it from my good friend Bill Porter (who posts here)
It is a REALLY fascinating read. Can you help Bill ???
Dick

Old
  (#15)
SJDinPHX
AzB Silver Member

03-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS

Jim, Try link on post #13, this thread....should work.(Thanks Charles!)
Dick

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 03-06-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: