~ Vintage Player ~

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
One of the last cues I have, and my all time favorite design. Still trying to decide whether to sell it or leave it to my son and when he’s my age he can sell it and buy a nice Meucci :lol: 59 inch cue with two shafts and about 58.5 with the third shaft. Solid ivory joint, Hoppe ring and ferrules...but the best part is cortland wrap, I’ve never seen it’s equal. Any SW, Szam, Tasc, Searing...etc that I’ve ever held doesn’t compare to this one. Crazy it sounds but true it is ;)

Attachments

• FC4AFE21-0AC1-464A-AABB-9FBC172231FA.jpg
    FC4AFE21-0AC1-464A-AABB-9FBC172231FA.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,741
  • F2AA5379-EDDA-4A95-ADDF-D03CE6E7C81D.jpg
    F2AA5379-EDDA-4A95-ADDF-D03CE6E7C81D.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,729
  • 9A1BD5AF-561C-4AFD-B000-D825EC14561D.jpg
    9A1BD5AF-561C-4AFD-B000-D825EC14561D.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,730
  • 21AF4FA9-56BC-48AC-BA09-F2D5611997C8.jpg
    21AF4FA9-56BC-48AC-BA09-F2D5611997C8.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,736
  • 0BA42FCD-0B83-42C9-8E25-28384F22FFA2.jpg
    0BA42FCD-0B83-42C9-8E25-28384F22FFA2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,701
Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cortland Linen is the absolutely best all time linen wrap ever made and I have it on 4 of my cues.
It cleans up really well when needed & the luster/sheen is easily restored by glass burning the wrap.
Not surprisingly, CL #9 was favored by George Balabuhka as his favorite pool cue wrap and I still
have a 50 yard spool of Cortland Linen Brown Speck wrap that’s impossible to find nowadays. I’m
thinking about having another cue made & if I can come up with the right design, I’ll definitely use it.

Matt B.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
always been partial to gals with slim butts and cues with big butts...i'm also a playa if you decide to sell

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is from Gus, it’s kinda rare one since he only made a limited number of ivory joint cues,
let alone any flat faced big pin versions. If skins gets to read this thread out, he’d likely know.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'm not 100% sure, but I am 99% sure :grin:

Possibly a Joss or Joss West as you say.

However, I think I see a countersink in the ivory joint, which was not typical for either. When they did a flat face, the ivory went all the way flat to the pin.

If original, there would probably be a JOSS or JW logo in the white Hoppe style ring.

All the best,
WW

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my eyes are not so good
is the joint not flat faced?

i have had gus with ivory joints ,flat face and piloted

again it looked like a gus to me,but i would not bet on it

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
my eyes are not so good
is the joint not flat faced?

i have had gus with ivory joints ,flat face and piloted

again it looked like a gus to me,but i would not bet on it

It's flat faced, but looks like it has a countersink in the joint. Here's how a flat face joint without a countersink looks like:

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• DSCN0381.jpg
    DSCN0381.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,066

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I'll add the other 1% to Patrick and say early Joss because of the pin.. I'd pretty surprised to see two identical pins like Wildwing's and this both with 8 threads, along other things, and both cues not be early Joss.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'll add the other 1% to Patrick and say early Joss because of the pin.. I'd pretty surprised to see two identical pins like Wildwing's and this both with 8 threads, along other things, and both cues not be early Joss.

Actually, both pins are 10 thread, not 8. The difference is the typical Joss did not have a countersink joint surface, as the OP's does.

All the best,
H

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the last cues I have, and my all time favorite design. Still trying to decide whether to sell it or leave it to my son and when he’s my age he can sell it and buy a nice Meucci :lol: 59 inch cue with two shafts and about 58.5 with the third shaft. Solid ivory joint, Hoppe ring and ferrules...but the best part is cortland wrap, I’ve never seen it’s equal. Any SW, Szam, Tasc, Searing...etc that I’ve ever held doesn’t compare to this one. Crazy it sounds but true it is ;)
Joss or Jensen??

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I think I been going about selling cues all wrong...this is the way to do it:grin: The story with this cue is I bought it not knowing or caring what it was, I just loved the design. I have never confirmed who made it but have heard every name mentioned so far plus some. I’ve had a couple old Joss cues, very late 60’s to early / mid 70’s and this is not a Joss imo. There is no evidence of a logo anywhere on the cue, present or previously worn off nor has it been refinished, I don’t believe. I never take the cue out, unless it’s to play some on my Diamond at home. I did have it at the DCC several years ago and those that looked at it said anything from JW to possibly a Szam forearm. Two friends of Barry’s said highly doubtful it was a Szam but they’re the ones that suggested it might be a Gus forearm. I was however told that Gus did have the cue because he at least made the larger of the three shafts. I planned on going to the SBE and maybe having Barry take a look but that never happened. I have personally never had anyone like Barry, Pete...etc look at the cue. It’s for sure a 3/8x10 and I tried to get some close ups of the joint face and where the wrap meets the buttsleeve and forearm. The transition is perfect. I do plan on selling the cue at some point but probably not as an unknown. I had it out for 10 minutes at the DCC and turned down $10K, five different people offered $2K immediately...:shrug:

Thanks for all the input and kind words btw

Attachments

• 3E796950-0356-4E00-8B0E-B101B7A15CE1.jpg
    3E796950-0356-4E00-8B0E-B101B7A15CE1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 371
  • E1861B55-BFD5-4DDF-BB9A-4596F21D0E38.jpg
    E1861B55-BFD5-4DDF-BB9A-4596F21D0E38.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 368
  • 68D44276-9D8B-4FCA-BA05-3D7AE7764AD8.jpg
    68D44276-9D8B-4FCA-BA05-3D7AE7764AD8.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 7B17E8C0-EBC4-41AE-9D01-4BFB0EFDC67A.jpg
    7B17E8C0-EBC4-41AE-9D01-4BFB0EFDC67A.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 364

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I’ve had a couple old Joss cues, very late 60’s to early / mid 70’s and this is not a Joss imo.

Thanks for all the input and kind words btw

Thank you, great looking cue. And agree, not a Joss. The joint is someone other's.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, great looking cue. And agree, not a Joss. The joint is someone other's.

All the best,
WW

Yup. Great looking. Not a Joss (most likely). Joss-like in some regards...but similar to other makers as well.

But that is a 3/8x10 pin, which Stroud "invented"...really had made by accident.

Makes me think that it is somehow in that neighborhood of makers. Maybe. Of course, the pin rapidly became popular and quite ubiquitous so it's hard to say it identifies the cue. It is interesting how the pin is installed...and this is a "good cue". With effort there is a decent chance of nailing down the maker.

I can see why it gets immediate attention.

One thing about Joss...it has frequently said they are all marked. But there are a few early cues that were not. I have no idea if any of them were 3/8x10 but I am thinking not....could easily be wrong.

Great cue. Would love to see it identified but I don't know what it is.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Actually, both pins are 10 thread, not 8. The difference is the typical Joss did not have a countersink joint surface, as the OP's does.

All the best,
H

Yes 10, but only 8 full exposed... There are many makers who exposed 10...