Worth repairing this table?

brandon0350

First post here and relatively new to the world of billiards so be gentle. I purchased this table from a friend a few years ago. It was disassembled when I picked it up, bit I figured $200 for an 8' Connelly was a good deal. It sat in pieces in my guest room for about a year before I decided to set it up. Upon setup I found that the cushions were extremely stiff compared to the bar box tables I was used to playing on. I figured maybe the bar cushions were softer because they had been played on alot more and were broken in. As time passed I got really good at cuts on my table, but couldnt quite figure out banks, kicks or position play that involved using the cushions. I ended up joining a league and playing on numerous different tables and finally realized my cushions were dead. I contacted a few local billiards shops and was quoted between 1200 and 1500 to replace the cushions and get the table covered with simonis 860. They said they would use accufast cushions or if I wanted the best I could put Artemis on it for a little more. While I contemplated investing the money into my table I decided to take it apart and see what the cushions actually looked like and what type was already on there. The cushions were black, had no identifying and were completely dry rotted as I expected. What I didnt expect to find was cracks in the rails where the pockets bolt on. My question before I spend the money to have new cushions and cloth installed is, will these cracks affect playability? Should I use some wood glue and clamps to try and repair them?

brandon0350

20190908-172841.jpg

20190908-172701.jpg

20190908-172329.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I would not pour any money into that table.

Where are you located? Have you sourced any tables for sale in your area? eBay, Facebook, Craigslist, LetGo and OfferUp are all good resources to see what is available. You can most likely source a used Gold Crown that will play light years better than the table you have. Depending on condition, you should not need to replace the rubber and will only need new cloth. Do you have room for a 9' table?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Connelly is one of the better built furniture style tables.

$1200-1500 seems high, for what you want done.

Absolutely glue and clamp the broken wood. It will ensure that the pocket castings tighten properly. Ensuring that all hardware is properly tightened will reduce energy loss. Any source of vibration will be a cause for energy loss.

Where are you located?