Chris’s Billiards

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m hearing from local players that the owner of Chris’s Billiards May have passed away.
Does anyone have any information?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I’m hearing from local players that the owner of Chris’s Billiards May have passed away.
Does anyone have any information?
Word is that Buddy (good guy) died of a heart attack at home a few days ago. Employees at Chris's say it will remain open. I don't think he was the sole owner.

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I heard about this about midway through the Derby, so it must have been at least ten days ago.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow this is very sad news. Buddy was a great guy. I played there very often and really enjoyed going there early in the day to hang out with Buddy and all the old school regulars. IMO daytime was the best. There always three cushion players Adrian, Jesus and Paul to name just a few. The front two diamonds were always in use with Buddy sitting behind the desk smiling and happy. Buddy was a fixture at Chris's for many years working there and eventually becoming one of the three new owners. Chitown has lost another great pool old school pool aficionado.. RIP Buddy you will be missed!

Just found this doing a quick search:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/obituaries/2019/02/eugene-phelps-buddy-jacques/

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Chris' is a must visit when in Chicago. It's the room that celebrates the history of both pool and billiards with memorabilia all over the place. This makes it a magical place.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Chris' is a must visit when in Chicago. It's the room that celebrates the history of both pool and billiards with memorabilia all over the place. This makes it a magical place.

Stu my oldest son lives 5 minute drive from Chris's and a 10 minute walk from Surge, a new coffee/pool room. I can't wait to go visit that area soon. The last time I was there we were helping him move and had no time for pool. Incidentally my younger boy Cody has relocated to Denver and just joined a league.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Stu my oldest son lives 5 minute drive from Chris's and a 10 minute walk from Surge, a new coffee/pool room. I can't wait to go visit that area soon.
Chris's and Surge are pool's history and future within spitting distance of each other - old school pool-only grunge vs. beautiful ultramodern full service (even some entertainment).

I play at both, but actually prefer Pressure, the other room owned by Surge's owner - it's a comfortable compromise between the other two.

pj
chgo