Scratch in the top coat of a new Butt

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a brand new cue and may have been a little too excited to open it up from the plastic wrap. Thought I was pushing super light just to cut the tape that was on the butt. I was wrong.

I now have a scratch almost the entire length of the cue. Its not deep but it is noticeable.

Can you please advise me how I can possibly polish this out of the butt? I have a small lathe to do tips that can help me rotate it quickly if needs be.

Do I wetsand this with 2000 grit? I did a small area but it is not near as shiny as it should be. How can I get the sheen back to like new?

Thanks in advance

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I just bought a brand new cue and may have been a little too excited to open it up from the plastic wrap. Thought I was pushing super light just to cut the tape that was on the butt. I was wrong.

I now have a scratch almost the entire length of the cue. Its not deep but it is noticeable.

Can you please advise me how I can possibly polish this out of the butt? I have a small lathe to do tips that can help me rotate it quickly if needs be.

Do I wetsand this with 2000 grit? I did a small area but it is not near as shiny as it should be. How can I get the sheen back to like new?

Thanks in advance

After you wet sand it, you will need to use a buffing compound to buff to a shine. Then wax...

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to polish away a long straight scratch, your essentially sanding away some of the finish... If you want that mirror finish 2000 grit is not gonna do it, you need to go to atleast 6000 grit and buff the cue after that.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
This is really something that requires a person familiar with repairing/refinishing cues. I recommend sending it out to get done right. Either that or live with it. Trying to fix it yourself may do either more damage, or draw more attention to it.
Dave

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a razor cut I agree with the others, don't try to sand it out. I'm wondering what some of the others would think about cleaning it really good with alcohol and air blowing it out, then apply some CA to build the cut level with the other finish, and then fine sanding and buffing it back out?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
This is not a DIY project.....either get it done right by a qualified person, or just live with it.
On a side note, how about some pictures of this scratch? it would really help in evaluating the situation.
Dave

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
This is not a DIY project.....either get it done right by a qualified person, or just live with it.
On a side note, how about some pictures of this scratch? it would really help in evaluating the situation.
Dave

Hi,

Knives dont scratch, they cut.

The cue needs to be refinished by a pro.

JMO,

Rick