Jump sticks in straight pool

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCAPL rule is very clearly written. I like rules that are clear.

-Dennis

I agree. I like rules that are clear too. I also have a difficult time understanding why it's the norm to answer rule questions with WPA rules in mind. Yes, they are the official professional rules, but all too often the rules refer to a ref presiding not to mention that most of us aren't pros. I would be interested in people's opinion on this.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I agree. I like rules that are clear too. I also have a difficult time understanding why it's the norm to answer rule questions with WPA rules in mind. Yes, they are the official professional rules, but all too often the rules refer to a ref presiding not to mention that most of us aren't pros. I would be interested in people's opinion on this.

Well, the WPA rules are the recognized world standardized rules. And it doesn't really matter if the players are pros or not, nor does it usually matter if the match is being refereed. You can find potential arguments in just about any rule set if you look close enough. And if there is no ref then it doesn't matter what rules you use if one player wants to argue about it.

Having said that, I do like the way the BCAPL rules are written. By and large they are the same as the WPA rules for most games (not saying there are NO differences). But I also like the that they have applied rulings to augment the rules. Keep in mind though, that the BCAPL is in a position through its league system to get instant feedback on rules issues and can more quickly update or apply a ruling as needed.

As far as an equipment violation goes though, the same thing applies in the BCAPL. If there is no ref presiding over the match then who is going to declare an equipment violation unless the opponent complains to the LO?

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the WPA rules are the recognized world standardized rules. And it doesn't really matter if the players are pros or not, nor does it usually matter if the match is being refereed. You can find potential arguments in just about any rule set if you look close enough. And if there is no ref then it doesn't matter what rules you use if one player wants to argue about it.

Having said that, I do like the way the BCAPL rules are written. By and large they are the same as the WPA rules for most games (not saying there are NO differences). But I also like the that they have applied rulings to augment the rules. Keep in mind though, that the BCAPL is in a position through its league system to get instant feedback on rules issues and can more quickly update or apply a ruling as needed.

As far as an equipment violation goes though, the same thing applies in the BCAPL. If there is no ref presiding over the match then who is going to declare an equipment violation unless the opponent complains to the LO?

I too like the BCAPL rules. I'm not even talking about players disputing a call. I'm just referring to situations that come up where the ruling involves a ref. For example the "serious fouls" penalty relies on a ref to declare the penalty as a 1 point foul, 16 point foul, loss of game, loss of match, disqualification from the tournament and forfeiture of any prize funds.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I too like the BCAPL rules. I'm not even talking about players disputing a call. I'm just referring to situations that come up where the ruling involves a ref. For example the "serious fouls" penalty relies on a ref to declare the penalty as a 1 point foul, 16 point foul, loss of game, loss of match, disqualification from the tournament and forfeiture of any prize funds.

Well, for serious fouls like say unsportsmanlike conduct, it really doesn't matter which rules you are playing by if there is no referee to make the call. Same goes for the serious calls in other sports. You need an official to declare a late hit, a bean ball, illegal checking, etc.

I guess pool is no different than many other games that use officiating. If you're playing a friendly game of tennis with a buddy one of you will have to decide if a ball is in or out. Calling fouls in a pick up basketball game, balls and strikes in a softball game, or tackles in a touch football game are sort of the same thing. Golf is well known for being played by rules where even at the pro level there is often not an official present at the time of the infraction. Just the nature of the beast and I'm not sure how any rule set can change that.

Last edited:

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
Whoa, there, pardner. Is that the Miz using a jump cue in a 14.1 event? Tell us more. When? Where? Was it a tournament? Was it allowed without any questioning? Were others doing it? Was it an aberration or something commonly done? We need some words here!

1993 Cleveland Invitational - Rich Leski vs. Steve Mizerak

Based on the video I don't think it was questioned by any competitors at the time. Billy Incardona knew right away when the Miz walked to his bag that he was getting the jump cue, and I didn't detect any hint of surprise in his voice. The other commentator just said "Yep, he doesn't have any other choice here" or something to that effect. Then Billy complimented the nice shot he made.

I can't comment on whether it was common or not, or whether others were doing it. But no one appeared shocked in the video.

By the way, I'm NOT condoning the use of jump cues in 14.1!

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking for jump cue tips on the web this morning and found there are tips by Tiger and White Diamond that are layered leather (very hard). If this is the case..one of these tips on a jump cue over 40" long would seem to be legal to use in 14.1, 9ball and other games per WPA rules.

I dont condone the use of jump cues in 14.1, dont own a jump cue but would have a hard time arguing with someone who wanted to use one.

-Dennis

Last edited: