Live 14.1 match(es) from Finnish Pool Tour

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laaksonen made nice 94 and out for that match!
Seems other places have some 14.1 streams as well :rolleyes: lol

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed watching Laaksonen play. I like his choices and he has a great rhythm to watch.

I had no idea how he was going to deal with the end of the rack at 8:59:03, but what he did was nice. I don't think it ever would have occurred to me.

https://youtu.be/pA8qqo6GP_w?t=8h59m3s

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I had no idea how he was going to deal with the end of the rack at 8:59:03, but what he did was nice. I don't think it ever would have occurred to me.,,,
And then, "Where is the cue ball going?!?" which is the only part of the commentary I understood.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed watching Laaksonen play. I like his choices and he has a great rhythm to watch.

I had no idea how he was going to deal with the end of the rack at 8:59:03, but what he did was nice. I don't think it ever would have occurred to me.

https://youtu.be/pA8qqo6GP_w?t=8h59m3s

Laaksonen is awesome player who is coming too Darren's 8-ball tournament... maybe even visit derby. If he is visiting derby i hope he tries 14.1 challenge.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Laaksonen is awesome player who is coming too Darren's 8-ball tournament... maybe even visit derby. If he is visiting derby i hope he tries 14.1 challenge.

I friended him on Facebook, added him to the Derby Straight Pool Challenge Group, and invited him to play in the challenge if he gets there.

It is always nice to get fresh blood into the challenge. A lot of guys try a few times and don't do much but eventually get there. Orcullo and then Kiamco were that way, but every year they got better. A couple of years ago, a bunch of young Filipinos came up and tried. Raymond Faraon,Oliver Bingcoy Medenilla, Jeffrey Ignaci, Rodrigo Geronimo, Jovan Bustamante, Carlo Biado finally broke through last year. Lee Van Corteza only tried a few previous years before he broke through big last year.

Maksim Dudanets, Fedor Gorst, Tim de Ruyter, Marc Bijsterbosch, Marco Teutscher, Jelle Kjellstra, Pepjin de Wir, Tobias Bongers have yet to break through and qualify. It's fun to watch them get better every year.

Filipinos, Germans, Russians, Dutch, but no young Americans. I wonder why.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will come to Derby this year :smile:
Gotta hit your challenge!

My name is Matti Väyrynen if you wanna add me on Facebook.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's amazing to see how the young europeans take to this game much more than the young americans. But at this point it's not fair to say that as the state of pool in America is where it is compared to places in Europe where pool is pretty much in schools and looked at as a serious sport.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Done! Practice up. See you there.

Matti is a great guy with tons of knowledge. Hope you'll have a great time!

Btw, that run of Kim Laaksonen wasn't on just any match, that single match decided the last spot for the European Championships between him and a rising young talent Casper Matikainen. Casper started the match with a 50-something run and Kim finished off the match. That's how you claim your spot in your national team!

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
It's amazing to see how the young europeans take to this game much more than the young americans. But at this point it's not fair to say that as the state of pool in America is where it is compared to places in Europe where pool is pretty much in schools and looked at as a serious sport.

Is it, really? That remark makes me feel even less European than most days… :p

(Seriously, I couldn't find anyone to play Straight Pool with if I paid them!)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

14.1 is not really played anywhere. Players solo practice it a lot, I think. Only nationals and European Champs have 14.1 on competitions. 14.1 titles are still well respected thought! :cool:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
14.1 is not really played anywhere. Players solo practice it a lot, I think. Only nationals and European Champs have 14.1 on competitions. 14.1 titles are still well respected thought! :cool:

I think the respect comes from even the guys who don't play 14.1. They know that only the really skillful players can win 14.1 titles.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

The exact same is true for Switzerland, with the exception of the odd Open tournament once in a blue moon.

There's good reason Straight Pool titles garner respect: although it's often advertised as the game to practice as a beginner (I'm an advocate of that school of thought - much better rotational players as a result, not to mention 8-Ball), it's almost invariably played by experts (or former top players who, in their old age, like shooting at balls close enough they can read the numbers on them, LOL!). :rolleyes:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti