Snooker Cue Case for Billiards Cue?

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if anyone has ever used or thought about using a snooker cue case for a regular billiards cue?

By regular billiards cue I mean a standard 58" 2 piece cue. The snooker cases I have seen look wild, lots of colors and designs and typically are in a box style.

The ones that hold what they call a 3/4 are about 118cm long inside. Which is about 46", so plenty of room for say a 28" shaft and butt.

Here's a link to some:

https://www.woodscues.com/collections/3-4-cue-cases

Reason I am interested in these is because I like box style cases for my cues and I can't find any good quality ones anymore. I have a great O'Neil 3x5 but wanted something more portable and more wild looking with the designs that the snooker cue cases seem to come in.

Let me know your thoughts.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Union Jack Cue Case.

Go for it, dear fellow.

Here are a few images of my rather patriotic case for your delectation.

Attachments

• AB58EA41-78FB-44DA-BBE3-F0C2CB4C944A.jpg
    AB58EA41-78FB-44DA-BBE3-F0C2CB4C944A.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 299C9943-3255-4141-BC9B-0F60AF8BCCCF.jpg
    299C9943-3255-4141-BC9B-0F60AF8BCCCF.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 193

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Do they still make Cheddar cases, RC?
I had one in the early 80s for my Hunt and O’Bourne....
....wood covered with leather....it was well built

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I’m not sure, PT.

I live relatively close to Cheddar Classic (if they’re still in business) buying and selling many of their products in the 1980s and 1990s. At one time most of the top snooker professionals used Cheddar cases, but I have a feeling they are no more sadly. Hope I’m wrong.

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go for it, dear fellow.

Here are a few images of my rather patriotic case for your delectation.

THE BRITISH ARE COMING THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!

Nice case, I'm half British half Austrian so maybe I can get a combo of those flags made.

Thanks for sharing. Any idea who makes the best cases? I mean real leather and nice hardware etc.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, TK.

I’ve just checked online and it seems Cheddar Classics (mentioned by PT) are still making cases so you could try them, sir. John Parris in London also makes very expensive cases.

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, TK.

I’ve just checked online and it seems Cheddar Classics (mentioned by PT) are still making cases so you could try them, sir. John Parris in London also makes very expensive cases.

I'll go ahead and give it a google thanks mate!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Roll your own, a possibility

Most big pawn shops that have been around a while have musical instrument cases without instruments. Stiff foam rubber is easily found on the net, a little velour or felt, and you would be in business.

I have a square(rectangular) case I used to often have a high dollar rifle and scope in. It is nice because it doesn't scream gun, looks like a keyboard case to most. Smaller lighter cases are available of course and that is what I would go for.

Harbor Fright has cases with stiff foam already with them, I don't know about sizes though. If Harbor Fright has something it is a given other big supply houses would have something too.

Cheddar Classic's photo's are working for me so far despite the fact I am not on facebook. The pictures seem small but there is a full size option and then you can zoom that. Some nice looking stuff although a lot is too gaudy for this ol' boy. I have thought many a time it would be fun to go into a pool hall toting a snake coffin!

I have had no dealings with Cheddar so I don't know anything about their prices, quality of cases, or business practices. The cases look good in the few pictures I looked at and after zooming the image is so close I can almost smell the leather.

Hu

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super looking UK case...my mom and wife are from the UK. House is full Union Jacks and Manchester United logos.

I get my cases at the thrift store. Purchased a BCE Snooker case a couple months ago, It came with a nice 2 piece Barracuda ash snooker cue and a shaft for switching to English 8 ball. All for $19.

Anyways. I never buy any billiards items for new. I’ve made up a collection of billiard balls, signs, etc for next to nothing in cost. I have about 40 cues, some high end, never paid more than $12 for one. Same with ball sets, cue racks, etc.

Another good case for billiard cues are fishing rod cases. Flat or cylinder shaped. A friend keeps his snooker cue in one. Nice foam interior. Again, you can get these for next to nothing now and again at thrift sores.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, Geo.

There is a dedicated thread called POOL BALL COLLECTING a few pages down. I’d love to see some of your examples if you ever have a moment to share a few images, sir.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll have to figure out how to post an image. Tried once but seems a bit convoluted...likely my lack of technical prowess and I’ll revisit the instructions.

One thing I’ve learned from ball sets at thrift stores. Always check out the boxes. Even though I can nab a new set quality balls for $20, I just don’t want any more sets. However, I still check them out. The newer boxes often have a different set of balls in them.

What I think happens is grandad got a new set of balls back in 1975...he then put the old set Of balls into the new box and it gets put away. When all the billiard stuff is donated, the old balks are still in the newer box.

One other thing with thrift ball sets. If not in the box, always make sure the 8 ball isn’t missing ...maybe was used in some other way.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ll have to figure out how to post an image. Tried once but seems a bit convoluted...likely my lack of technical prowess and I’ll revisit the instructions.

The only image I failed to post was when I tried to follow instructions. Cut and paste works just fine.

Other uses for eight balls, like shift balls? One of my race cars came complete with a clay eight ball on the shifter. I changed shifters but saved the eightball to go on the new one.

Hu

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only image I failed to post was when I tried to follow instructions. Cut and paste works just fine.

Other uses for eight balls, like shift balls? One of my race cars came complete with a clay eight ball on the shifter. I changed shifters but saved the eightball to go on the new one.

Hu

Ha! Ha!

I’ve always driven a manual...but never could find that elusive 8th gear.

Unless it’s been been done, Could be potential thread on ‘Unusual uses for the 8 ball and other balls other than billiards.’