Open or Closed?

TwoRailDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always shot with a closed bridge on all my shots. Recently, I've been shooting racks left-handed and have surprised at how much easier it is with an open bridge. This got me to thinking, maybe I should incorporate an open bridge on some certain shots shooting right-handed. I know snooker players shoot with an open bridge and they are very good shot makers. Do you guys that primarily play with an closed bridge find it helpful to use an open bridge when not trying to do too much with the cue ball? Are there certain shots that you find it easier to use? Thanks for the input

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
For me... Open bridge for most shots... certainly for all stun and stop shots.

Closed bridge for most every draw shot wherein I want whitey to come back towards me.

And a mix of open and closed bridge for follow shots, depends of the speed of shot. Closed for more powerful follow shots... open for softer ones.

No Limit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I began shooting pool, I used an open bridge. Then someone pointed out that I could get more action on the cue ball if I switched to a closed bridge. Now I only use an open bridge if I'm shooting jacked up against a rail.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always shot with a closed bridge on all my shots. Recently, I've been shooting racks left-handed and have surprised at how much easier it is with an open bridge. This got me to thinking, maybe I should incorporate an open bridge on some certain shots shooting right-handed. I know snooker players shoot with an open bridge and they are very good shot makers. Do you guys that primarily play with an closed bridge find it helpful to use an open bridge when not trying to do too much with the cue ball? Are there certain shots that you find it easier to use? Thanks for the input
I shoot about 60/40 closed bridge. I just feel I see the shot better in many cases with an open bridge. If you watch the pros and pay attention you will be surprised how often they use an open bridge. It is not just a beginner thing is a valuable tool.

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an open bridge for almost everything, including insane draw and follow shots. I only use a closed bridge if I'm switching hands or jacked up over 45 degrees. And I usually use an open bridge for the jacked up shots anyway.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comming from a snooker background I shoot with open at all times, I am just not comfortable with a closed bridge. IMO I can get as much draw, if not more, on the cue ball with my open bridge as anyone with a closed bridge. I find it's about cue control with me a smooth stroke any follow through on the cue ball when playing those draw shots.

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i use a closed bridge only when I use the opposite hand. I always use an open bridge, a closed bridge doesn't give more power... is the opposite because you have more friction beetween your hand and the cue.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an open bridge most of the time. Usually the only time I use a closed bridge is when I need to put some power to a shot.
But I have a friend who I shoot with a lot who rarely uses an open bridge.
Guess it's just what you are comfortable with.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like the better sightline an open bridge allows (I try to get my chin near the stick) so I will shoot open bridge whenever possible.

The exceptions are on the more powerful stroke shots where the closed bridge provides the stability needed to stay accurate.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

K.Mcphee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's easier to pocket balls with a closed bridge, and you can send the rock to your desired area more often than you will an open bridge.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The great Joe Davis (20 world snooker champion) recommended the closed
bridge on 'power screw' shots ('screw' is what I call 'draw')...most players
that insist the open bridge is the only way to play claim they can't see
down the cue any other way.
Well, to me , the cue is not a rifle and you can't get your eyes down to the cue anyways.
To me, having to watch your cue going back and forth is like watching
your wind-shield wipers while driving in the rain..NOT recommended!

I feel you should have both bridges in your game and use either one
at will.
Use which ever one feels good on a shot-by-shot basis.
I think it would be wrong to favor either one as a 'style' decision.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I use both open and closed. I never even think about what bridge I'm going to use. I wish the rest of my game was that automatic. This thread probably has sharked me now. I'll be thinking what type of bridge to use for each shot. Johnnyt

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I almost always used a closed bridge, but arthritis in the hands has me using an open bridge more and more.......

K.Mcphee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the better sightline an open bridge allows (I try to get my chin near the stick) so I will shoot open bridge whenever possible.

The exceptions are on the more powerful stroke shots where the closed bridge provides the stability needed to stay accurate.

Best,
Brian kc

But what are you sighting? It's actually a misconception....in both ways. What needs to be seen is there and sighted even better than most can imagine using a closed bridge.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I like to use the bridge that the shot calls for. I think I use all five bridges quite well. When I can I prefer the Open Bridge.

randyg

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
But what are you sighting? It's actually a misconception....in both ways. What needs to be seen is there and sighted even better than most can imagine using a closed bridge.

Make an open bridge, put your chin on the cue, take some practice strokes and, while doing so, check and see how there is zero restriction for sighting down the shaft to the tip and on to the intended strike point on the cue ball.

Then, do the same thing with a closed bridge and you will notice that the index finger which is now wrapped around the shaft does interrupt the view you have going down the shaft to the tip as compared with the open bridge.

Again, think chin on the stick.

So, what I am sighting with the open bridge that I can't do as well with the closed bridge is the precise strike point on the cue ball and straightness of the cue gliding back and forth during my practice strokes which I will take as many of as I feel necessary (usually 3 or 4), before following through. Bottom line for me is that the open bridge eliminates a potential distraction.

The key here in my description are the words "as well".

I ask you, how is it possible to have a better view with a finger wrapped around the shaft in a very low stance like I try to be in (chin/stick)?

That said, and as pt and others pointed out, don't choose one or the other as a matter of style, but rather, as a result of what feels best for you.

I see SVB uses his tall closed bridge almost exclusively. And his is an extraoridinarily L-O-N-G bridge, as well.

I've been meaning to have a word with him about that. :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

In my first response I gave the answer and rationale for what works for me. But, again, that's me. :smile:

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

walrus_3d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife uses a tall closed bridge because her hand cramps when she tries to bring her thumb up the right way for an open bridge, and because with her tiny child-like hands she can't put follow on the cue unless her bridge is taller.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I like to use the bridge that the shot calls for. I think I use all five bridges quite well. When I can I prefer the Open Bridge.

randyg
Five!? ...I gotta long way to go.

I think I only use an open bridge when I have to cue over another ball. I've read that people also use it when the cue is close to/frozen on a rail. Are there other times?

When I do an open bridge, my cue feels unsteady (especially compared to the closed bridge.) Should I spend time *only* using an open bridge to get more comfortable?

-matthew