Ultraskin Tip Review>>>Soft-Medium-Hard

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I tried all 3 Ultraskin's today, and they are terrific tips.
From an installation standpoint they cut and shape nicely, and are extremely well made.
The Ultraskin's reminded me of Tiger Onyx

The soft was installed on a fairly hard hitting sneaky, and at first it felt more like a medium, but as I played it seemed to get softer.
Softer than a Kamui soft and similar playability

The medium was amazing.
Installed on a very good playing Terry McFadden cue
I was immediately drawing the ball three rails, drilling balls in the pocket, and everybody liked the mediums far and away.
The Ultraskin medium is a perfect medium tip

The hard was installed on an old McDermott, and it felt a lot like the Tiger Onyx tip I've been playing with.
Tiger Onyx is considered a medium hard tip, and I've always liked using a harder tip unless it's too hard for me to draw the ball with.

The interesting thing is that there isn't a huge difference between the three tips, but it was all very well thought out.
The hard is hard but not so hard that you can't play with it.
The medium is exactly what I would call a medium tip, and the soft isn't too soft.
I don't like the idea of buying a soft tip because the medium is too hard, and the hard is too hard to play with.

All three tips were great, but if I had to choose one it would be the medium, just because I could get so much stuff on the CB with it.
Probably too much stuff, but I was having fun playing with it...:smile:

tonka2

Registered
I tried all 3 Ultraskin's today, and they are terrific tips.
From an installation standpoint they cut and shape nicely, and are extremely well made.
The Ultraskin's reminded me of Tiger Onyx

The soft was installed on a fairly hard hitting sneaky, and at first it felt more like a medium, but as I played it seemed to get softer.
Softer than a Kamui soft and similar playability

The medium was amazing.
Installed on a very good playing Terry McFadden cue
I was immediately drawing the ball three rails, drilling balls in the pocket, and everybody liked the mediums far and away.
The Ultraskin medium is a perfect medium tip

The hard was installed on an old McDermott, and it felt a lot like the Tiger Onyx tip I've been playing with.
Tiger Onyx is considered a medium hard tip, and I've always liked using a harder tip unless it's too hard for me to draw the ball with.

The interesting thing is that there isn't a huge difference between the three tips, but it was all very well thought out.
The hard is hard but not so hard that you can't play with it.
The medium is exactly what I would call a medium tip, and the soft isn't too soft.
I don't like the idea of buying a soft tip because the medium is too hard, and the hard is too hard to play with.

All three tips were great, but if I had to choose one it would be the medium, just because I could get so much stuff on the CB with it.
Probably too much stuff, but I was having fun playing with it...:smile:

I'll definitely vouch for that. Just today removed a medium soft to try the medium hard, and no doubt about it, my draw is much better with the medium hard.

Tom, a really great tip!!!

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not from Missouri. I've never even been in Missouri, but I do have the "Show Me" disposition. So when Tom Hays started posting threads about UltraSkin Tips, I thought just what we need is another layered tip in a market place full of layered tips. But then I started seeing some feedback from cuemakers saying that these tips were good. I kept seeing more and more of these endorsements from guys that spend months crafting expensive cues for sale. I asked myself "Would these guys put an inferior tip on their cues just to save a few pennies?". Doubt it. So I ordered some tips from Tom and just installed a soft one (I play with a Moori Soft). It machined well on my lathe and the side burnished to a glossy finish. I was well satisfied with the hit and feel. Hard to tell the difference between my Moori and the UltraSkin. I'll be trying the Medium next on another cue. I have to admit that Tom has a great tip here. I guess there is room for another layered tip in this marketplace. At the price Tom has on them, they should sell like hotcakes. My hat is off to you, Tom.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Soft and Medium

I put a soft on my Gilbert that i like to play one pocket with and was really suprised. It shaped nicely, went on easy (per my cue repairman who is an A player and was really impressed with fit, finish and hit) and after a few sessions has won me over. It has replaced the Kamui soft tips I was getting addicted to.

I had the repairman put a medium on an old R series Schon for my friend and really liked it as I test drove it before seeing him a week later at the pool hall. I prefer a harder tip for 8, and 9 ball. It will probably replace my Le Pro tips I have been so stubborn to replace.

I have not tried a hard tip as yet, but did buy one just in case the medium was too soft.

I am impressed so far.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought soft, medium and hard. Had the medium installed on one shaft and the hard on another. My preference is the hard, but I have always kinda liked the harder tips.

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received some ultraskin tips some weeks ago.
They are easy to install.
I have played with both hard and medium. I don't feel much difference between medium and hard. I normally play with tiger onyx tip, and there is no big difference - only the price being nicer on Tom Hay's tips.

The only problem I have had was with the soft tip. I installed it on a friends cue, and it popped off after 2-3 hours. This is the first tip I have installed since I started using Tiger CA glue, that has popped off. I have installed about 30 tips since I got that glue, and before that it did also only happen once with a moori tip after long time of play, and the tip was pretty worn down (same persons cue). I did install the tip just like I always do sanding off to roughen the backside of the tip, apply glue, waiting for at least two hours, cutting the tip and sanding on lathe. I guess I was just unlucky. Have to mention that the same person also managed to break a no-collar shaft some months ago. Any ideas?

Last edited:

time123456

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ultraskin tips

Just bought some these tips they play very well and hold shape great I have been known to make tips go flat but these seem to hold shape very nice. Have played with tips from a to z I thought the kamui was the tip for me but after my second one I really thought the quality of the tip was bad but from now on I will stick with the ultraskin medium. The feel is like an old school moori tip and for the price you can not beat it.

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played six hours tonight with a new Ultraskin Soft on my OB Classic shaft fitted to my Varney BEM cue. It played very well, not a bit of mushrooming after six hours of hard play. We played 9-ball, 8-ball, straight pool and one pocket, The tip holds chalk very well, even though I am in the habit of chalking before every shot, I didnt miscue once all night. It draws incredible, plus lots of control of english. I tried follow, draw, throwing, inside english, check siding...it all played well.

Tom, thanks for a great line of layered tips that dont gouge the pocket book. By the way, I cut off a brand new Kamui Black Medium off this OB Classic to put the Ultraskin Soft on, it had not even hit a ball....just so you know how serious I was to test your tips. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

vakosel

Registered
Highly recommended !

First of all Tom is an excellent guy to deal with and provides a super fast service. I live in Greece and i got 10 of the hard type within a week :wink:

I installed one immediately on a laminated shaft and here my up to now results - a couple of hours of play-

1)Feeling: something close to an onyx tiger or a hair softer than the Kamui medium black.
2) Can't see any difference in action compared to the above tips( i played with the them for 2 years).Easy draws and also i tried the 3 rail position play - that was mentioned in another thread - with inside english and was a piece of cake .
3) i played 18 consecutive draw shots with no miscue . The 19th was with 1 1/2 tip of english :grin-square:
4) shape can't tell because is too early.. :cool:

that's about it till now.. i will post more in a couple of weeks. But my first impression is beyond expectation..

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
so, anybody know what the "HH" is that tom was referring to?

Double hard, harder than the H, but I don't know exactly how much harder because I forgot to install the one I have.
Thanks for reminding me>>:smile:
HH review to follow

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Hh

so, anybody know what the "HH" is that tom was referring to?

far upside down on the left.
IMG_0055_zpsd7ccfdb8.jpg

MMike

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 cushion

I have several friends that play 3 cushion on rather high level and they just love the HH tip, sold plenty to them.
These guys really pounds the tip good sometimes and they go very extrem on some english shots.
They have showed me several tips of other brands that has just cracked, lose pieces etc.
They have said several times now that "it´s the best tip out there". They have had no tip gone bad for them at all. Pretty good "review". Btw - some plays with M and H also - same thing there.

I gave some Oinkers to a few to try out also, haven´t been able to play myself though for a while, at least not when they are there so I haven´t got the feedback on them yet.
Can say that I have one on and also some other pool friends and they play good and hold shape good - very consistent and good tip so far!

Great work Tom!

Chrippa

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Alternative?

If these are a good/great alternative to the $20 Kamui Blk S/SS, I'll use them!

Last edited:

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone had a chance to compare these tips to the new Predator Victory tips?

I hear the predator is a lot like Kamui but with a slightly cheaper price tag. Interested in both ultraskin and the predator and eventually will try them both. Just not sure which one I'd like to try first.

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Review

Might as well make it an update:

I have bought all hardness level tips and have settled on the Soft.
Before the Ultra-layered, I was using the Kamui blk SS with an OB classic.

After 20 hours of play: The Ultra Layered Soft has a very nice hit with the cue ball. Has held its shape nicely. It doesn't need any more/less tip treatment than the Kamui blk SS. Although I did trim the tip down quite a bit to 1/2 of original size, I think it plays better at this size. And at the AZ forum price, this tip is unbeatable.

I've come back playing after a 15 year layoff and have found this shaft/tip combination to be the best (for me). Give the tips a fair test and you'll be quite surprised at the product Tom has provided us.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Might as well make it an update:

I have bought all hardness level tips and have settled on the Soft.
Before the Ultra-layered, I was using the Kamui blk SS with an OB classic.

After 20 hours of play: The Ultra Layered Soft has a very nice hit with the cue ball. Has held its shape nicely. It doesn't need any more/less tip treatment than the Kamui blk SS. Although I did trim the tip down quite a bit to 1/2 of original size, I think it plays better at this size. And at the AZ forum price, this tip is unbeatable.

I've come back playing after a 15 year layoff and have found this shaft/tip combination to be the best (for me). Give the tips a fair test and you'll be quite surprised at the product Tom has provided us.

Nice review, glad that you tried them