APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be certain, from the start, I do believe the actual players involved when they say that their intentions were good from the get go and through all of their competitions. By the letter of the rule you were in the wrong, even though it was no fault of your own.

The apa has a major handicap manipulation problem. You could say they are fighting a war against it, that is the actual scale of it. I can't tell you the number of nonchalant conversations I have heard about keeping innings up and keeping handicap levels where they are. So many that it seems some don't even recognize this as sandbagging. Now there are also a lot of teams that assuredly know that this is against the rules, but the risk is worth the reward to them.

It really seems you guys were an innocent casualty of a war that must be fought. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I do hope something good comes of this and maybe a lot of open communicating may ease some of the damage done.

It's a private organization and everything done is on their terms. They care more about seeming tough on sandbaggers than they do about seeming unfair, as much as that sucks.

Image is the biggest thing here. I think you did yourselves no favors by live streaming all of your matches. Not to say it was wrong, as I have already started I believe it was all in good faith. Perception and publicity are two very, very important things to a company.

When you have a team stepping up to the challenge and beating teams, fair and square, that aren't, those teams tend to want to blame everyone but themselves. So when you have, say, seven teams that you beat running around the room whining about how your 2 plays like a 3 and your 4 plays like a 5 and so on and so forth, that gets a bit of attention. Now couple with all that buzz a live stream on which you noted comments about players appearing to be better than they are, even if the judgement is biased and untrue, you have, in their eyes, a bit of a fire to put out.

They would rather your team go home sore than have the lingering buzz be about the team that maybe even won the event, who knows, being sandbaggers and nothing was done about it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

This is where the APA loses me. They have a “Mathematical, objective handicapping system”...so whining and complaining shouldn’t influence it. Yet almost all of the apa supporters in this thread talk like the APA makes a decision to avoid whining or to appease whiners. Or watch a team/player and ‘make’ a judgement. A judgement isn’t math.

Is the system objective or isn’t it?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I just want to clarify that I understand the need for the system, I get why this looks terrible, and to some extent I understand why the APA may have felt they needed to DQ my team from the tournament.

I don't think it's fair or right, but from the moment that battle was lost in the appeal room my argument has moved to the fact that my players do not deserve a 2 year suspension from the league. If the review board stated (which they did) that they in fact did NOT think that we cheated, however we did have an unfair advantage in their eyes - then why are we punished the same as the people who bring a 2 that runs racks when the teams backs are against the wall.

What I'd like to see is for that same committee of people in that room to make 2 decisions, one regarding the DQ, and one regarding whether it was a dirty play and carries a 2 year ban.

The APA is fighting a war on sandbaggers, I deal with it weekly. If you read the messages from two years ago it's clear that I built a clean team. Wouldn't you want more teams like mine to help fight that war from the ground?

Anyway, I'm respectful of everyone's opinions here and I understand the issue and the ways it can be viewed. I appreciate the discussion and the support as well as the challenging opinions.

b

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to clarify that I understand the need for the system, I get why this looks terrible, and to some extent I understand why the APA may have felt they needed to DQ my team from the tournament.

I don't think it's fair or right, but from the moment that battle was lost in the appeal room my argument has moved to the fact that my players do not deserve a 2 year suspension from the league. If the review board stated (which they did) that they in fact did NOT think that we cheated, however we did have an unfair advantage in their eyes - then why are we punished the same as the people who bring a 2 that runs racks when the teams backs are against the wall.

What I'd like to see is for that same committee of people in that room to make 2 decisions, one regarding the DQ, and one regarding whether it was a dirty play and carries a 2 year ban.

The APA is fighting a war on sandbaggers, I deal with it weekly. If you read the messages from two years ago it's clear that I built a clean team. Wouldn't you want more teams like mine to help fight that war from the ground?

Anyway, I'm respectful of everyone's opinions here and I understand the issue and the ways it can be viewed. I appreciate the discussion and the support as well as the challenging opinions.

b

Classy Post. Good luck!

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
This statement is eyeopening.

If they thought you weren't cheating, what was the basis for their ruling?

(if it was covered before I missed it)

b

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

b
This I agree with...100%!

A separate committee meeting for the suspension is a fantastic idea. It should be considered AFTER the tournament is over.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member

They stated that as the rules are written today it was automatic, we are currently appealing the suspension and waiting to hear, although not terribly hopeful - we'll see.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is against the rules to have 5 members of the same team all "rank up" during a tourney...regardless if sandbagging occurs or not.

Kind of like how you can "fail" a drug test for a diluted sample, even if all you've done is drink plenty of water.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
It is against the rules to have 5 members of the same team all "rank up" during a tourney...regardless if sandbagging occurs or not.

Kind of like how you can "fail" a drug test for a diluted sample, even if all you've done is drink plenty of water.

To clarify my last post, I was saying that they stated the suspension was automatic along with the DQ for the five going up...

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
My APA tourney experience once...

In 2009, in the 9 ball team championships...my team played a team out of Chicago. Nobody spoke English but 1 guy. The rest were Czechs. Our 3 comes out and gets drilled 18-2. I am up next, kind of the juggernaut of the team. I am getting DRUMMED 30+ to 4 when the guy breaks his cue down and shakes my hand all of the sudden. He forfeited the match. His league operator called the team captain and told them to forfeit the rest of the matches because the so called 5 I was playing started the tournament as a 3 and he only dogged off the 9 ball twice to let me break. He was playing position like that of a 9. Apparently another player on that team had also already jumped two skill levels and their league operator was about to lose a tournament slot. It was the strangest thing, but we were honestly happy to take an early evening and get some rest for the next morning. It put us in position to take 9th out of over 450 teams. We lost the next morning to a team from Louisiana.

So yeah, APA sucks...but it gets me out of the house to bang balls for 8 bucks a night.

Shorty

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
In 2009, in the 9 ball team championships...my team played a team out of Chicago. Nobody spoke English but 1 guy. The rest were Czechs. Our 3 comes out and gets drilled 18-2. I am up next, kind of the juggernaut of the team. I am getting DRUMMED 30+ to 4 when the guy breaks his cue down and shakes my hand all of the sudden. He forfeited the match. His league operator called the team captain and told them to forfeit the rest of the matches because the so called 5 I was playing started the tournament as a 3 and he only dogged off the 9 ball twice to let me break. He was playing position like that of a 9. Apparently another player on that team had also already jumped two skill levels and their league operator was about to lose a tournament slot. It was the strangest thing, but we were honestly happy to take an early evening and get some rest for the next morning. It put us in position to take 9th out of over 450 teams. We lost the next morning to a team from Louisiana.

So yeah, APA sucks...but it gets me out of the house to bang balls for 8 bucks a night.

Shorty

So, the system worked....yet the APA sucks?

Um....

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
To clarify my last post, I was saying that they stated the suspension was automatic along with the DQ for the five going up...

With 5 of 8 going up at a national event, I’d be happy with a 2 year suspension. One team locally received a lifetime ban from the APA.

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
The point is, his local league operator should of not let that team go to Vegas, or adjusted handicaps before they went. It sucks for all the teams they mowed over before us.

Shorty

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
The point is, his local league operator should of not let that team go to Vegas, or adjusted handicaps before they went. It sucks for all the teams they mowed over before us.

Shorty

If they were new players, this is hard to do. It’s up to the rest of the league membership to police some of this. They’re usually weeded out at the regional level. But your example shows why there are the checks and balances at each level of play. If you went by JessEm’s stance, that team would be allowed to finish the Vegas tourney without any handicaps being raised.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
With 5 of 8 going up at a national event, I’d be happy with a 2 year suspension. One team locally received a lifetime ban from the APA.

5 of 7, didn't have an eighth or this might not have even happened. I find your hardline surprising, if the APA chooses to treat their entire membership base as criminals or cheaters so be it, I don't however believe they do. I think they are fighting an uphill battle against sandbaggers and cheaters, and the system is setup to catch and get rid of them - but to believe it doesn't ever catch honest people would be naive (they themselves state is as the difference between cheating and an 'unfair advantage')

Suspend me then for two years as the captain, but I think when doling out such harsh judgements perhaps some consideration and further review than 15 minutes is warranted.

Why is it so hard to believe that 5/7 people played a single skill level up, on easier equipment but under great pressure? Is that so far fetched in the APA?

If you believe we cheated, fine. But if you don't, I think you're just being a hardass demanding a suspension.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
What this post and discussion is supposed to do is enlighten people that we are NOT sandbaggers.

-Sean

I saw this team several times. I don't think there was ever any question as to their
integrity, at least not that I ever heard

I don't normally respond to troll posts, but I'll bite on this one, even with its "buh-bye" nastiness. Exactly what "rule" did the team break?

-Sean

Sadly, and regretfully, in this case there is a rule that doesn't permit the further play of
a team that where skill levels are increased to a point beyond that at which they
started the tournament and DQ's the team, apparently it also triggers an automatic
ban. The ban I wasn't aware of.
My thought is that this is really more the responsibility of the LO than the team. This
is information that should have been made clear to Bill prior to filling out certification
forms for the tournament. I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound like a conversation
about this even took place

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
5 of 7, didn't have an eighth or this might not have even happened. I find your hardline surprising, if the APA chooses to treat their entire membership base as criminals or cheaters so be it, I don't however believe they do. I think they are fighting an uphill battle against sandbaggers and cheaters, and the system is setup to catch and get rid of them - but to believe it doesn't ever catch honest people would be naive (they themselves state is as the difference between cheating and an 'unfair advantage')

Suspend me then for two years as the captain, but I think when doling out such harsh judgements perhaps some consideration and further review than 15 minutes is warranted.

Why is it so hard to believe that 5/7 people played a single skill level up, on easier equipment but under great pressure? Is that so far fetched in the APA?

If you believe we cheated, fine. But if you don't, I think you're just being a hardass demanding a suspension.

My hardline stance has to do with your disregard for your team. I’ve captained many teams. I’ve never had a team suspended or booted. You had a document in your hand that would have solved the problem. You chose to disregard it. If you had declared your bubble players as one higher rank, you’d have had no issue. The first round in Vegas is a freebie. You win, you keep playing. You lose, you keep playing. By declaring some players one up, you’d have avoided the 2 year suspension. All for a few strokes of a pen. If I shoot s gun into the air, and the bullet hits someone, I’m responsible. Intent is irrelevant. Having 5 of 7 players bumped at Vegas is the first I’ve heard of more than 70% of a roster moving up.

Do I think you did anything intentional? No. But you did a disservice to other teams with fair and established rankings.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
My hardline stance has to do with your disregard for your team. I’ve captained many teams. I’ve never had a team suspended or booted. You had a document in your hand that would have solved the problem. You chose to disregard it. If you had declared your bubble players as one higher rank, you’d have had no issue. The first round in Vegas is a freebie. You win, you keep playing. You lose, you keep playing. By declaring some players one up, you’d have avoided the 2 year suspension. All for a few strokes of a pen. If I shoot s gun into the air, and the bullet hits someone, I’m responsible. Intent is irrelevant. Having 5 of 7 players bumped at Vegas is the first I’ve heard of more than 70% of a roster moving up.

Do I think you did anything intentional? No. But you did a disservice to other teams with fair and established rankings.

Yes, anyone who knows me knows how little regard I have for the team. We're beating a dead horse here, I appreciate your opinion but we'll never agree on the idea that as a captain with honest players and scorekeeping I should still disregard the worlds best handicapping system, assume my first time national players will play lights out under the pressure and manually enter the number that the APA couldn't come up with on their own.

Agree to disagree or not, I didn't start the thread just wanted to clarify some of the facts and dispute a few others. We'll see how it plays out from here without much further comment from me.

Thanks,

b

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Yes, anyone who knows me knows how little regard I have for the team. We're beating a dead horse here, I appreciate your opinion but we'll never agree on the idea that as a captain with honest players and scorekeeping I should still disregard the worlds best handicapping system, assume my first time national players will play lights out under the pressure and manually enter the number that the APA couldn't come up with on their own.

Agree to disagree or not, I didn't start the thread just wanted to clarify some of the facts and dispute a few others. We'll see how it plays out from here without much further comment from me.

Thanks,

b

If one player went up, your “honest player” has merit. Two? I’ll buy it. Everyone except 2 players went up a ranking. You, in effect, played the tournament with a 28 rule instead of 23. Yep....seems fair and unintentional. 🙄

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While I have no clue what happened in this specific instance it doesn't surprise me that the handicaps were out of whack. While it was alluded to before, to me this is an issue that speaks to the very foundation of how the APA rates players.

They hold a national tournament where players from how many separate APA leagues compete? The APA has a national tournament with locally rated players. Recipe for the endless claims of sandbaggers and cheaters.

Bottom line to me the APA rating is NOT a national rating so this type of thing will always be an issue.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
While I have no clue what happened in this specific instance it doesn't surprise me that the handicaps were out of whack. While it was alluded to before, to me this is an issue that speaks to the very foundation of how the APA rates players.

They hold a national tournament where players from how many separate APA leagues compete? The APA has a national tournament with locally rated players. Recipe for the endless claims of sandbaggers and cheaters.

Bottom line to me the APA rating is NOT a national rating so this type of thing will always be an issue.

Yep. 50 teams were booted from the tournament this year due to this very issue.

Oh wait. Nope. Only one. In all divisions of play, only one team got booted. Doesn’t seem to be quite the problem you think it is.