2019 World 14.1 Tournament

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any information about the 2019 World 14.1 Tournament? It appears that Peter Burrows is taking the American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship back down south this year, so it will not be in NYC. Last year (2018), the World Tournament was outside NYC (Nanuet). Will it be there again this year? Somewhere else? Dates?

BTW, the U.S. Open Straight Pool Championship just ended. It was played in Vegas. Not a full field. Won by Shane Van Boening, who defeated Billy Thorpe. Sad state of affairs in our favorite game.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nope, we have no indication to this point that Dragon Promotions will hold a "World" event this year.

[I suppose that could change.]

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Attendance by fans and players is so poor I would be surprised to see it continue.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think there was some kind of announcement that it would be in Las Vegas before the US Open 9 Ball but then nothing more was heard and it did not happen. Judging from the Dragon website, I'd guess that Charlie is spending his time working with retired NFL players.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's fair to say that with the recent super low turnout of the US Open, Charlie Williams being exiled from the pool world(whoever's fault that was I don't know and don't care to), that the only major 14.1 tournament that the US will have for the foreseeable future is the American 14.1.

which is sad because I figured someone would've used Schdmit's recent record run to do something for the game.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's fair to say that with the recent super low turnout of the US Open, Charlie Williams being exiled from the pool world(whoever's fault that was I don't know and don't care to), that the only major 14.1 tournament that the US will have for the foreseeable future is the American 14.1.

which is sad because I figured someone would've used Schdmit's recent record run to do something for the game.

“Exiled”?

Yeah, bummer to see regression. This, on top of the DCC Challenge apparently ending.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to follow up on this in case someone finds this thread...

Dragon has announced on Facebook that their 14.1 event for 2019 will be in December at a sports bar in Jacksonville.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to follow up on this in case someone finds this thread...

Dragon has announced on Facebook that their 14.1 event for 2019 will be in December at a sports bar in Jacksonville.

Charlie really needs to sell the name to Peter Burrows. Or maybe CSI can sell the US Open name. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Charlie really needs to sell the name to Peter Burrows. Or maybe CSI can sell the US Open name. Pretty sad state of affairs.
It is not a name worth buying.

Frankly, I would stop donating to Peter's event if he started to claim that it was an actual world championship without actually having a WPA sanction.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not a name worth buying.

Frankly, I would stop donating to Peter's event if he started to claim that it was an actual world championship without actually having a WPA sanction.

I would like to think that, with the apparent demise of the Williams event (which had a HOF component), the apparent demise of the DCC straight pool challenge, and the failure of the reincarnated US Open straight pool event to go anywhere, Burrows’ event should be able to pull in whatever sponsor money was going to those events - from corporate (Simonis, etc.) to individual angel benefactors (recent and more remote in time, e.g., Dr. Fedak), to the straight pool nuts like those of us who frequent this forum. I am sure that Peter Burrows knocks on a lot of doors, but they are probably the same doors he’s been knocking on year after year (in no way am I being critical - it’s just the way things work).

There must be some good ideas for promotion of Burrows’ event. He has really done his part and more, and the event deserves the efforts of others. Crowdsourcing? Going to mega wealthy professional athletes in other sports who are known to love pool and could lend their name, directly contribute, and twist arms of friends and contacts? Other? Have any ideas, anyone? If so, please share! If enough $ can be raised, it can be a sanctioned event!

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to think that, with the apparent demise of the Williams event (which had a HOF component), the apparent demise of the DCC straight pool challenge, and the failure of the reincarnated US Open straight pool event to go anywhere, Burrows’ event should be able to pull in whatever sponsor money was going to those events - from corporate (Simonis, etc.) to individual angel benefactors (recent and more remote in time, e.g., Dr. Fedak), to the straight pool nuts like those of us who frequent this forum. I am sure that Peter Burrows knocks on a lot of doors, but they are probably the same doors he’s been knocking on year after year (in no way am I being critical - it’s just the way things work).

There must be some good ideas for promotion of Burrows’ event. He has really done his part and more, and the event deserves the efforts of others. Crowdsourcing? Going to mega wealthy professional athletes in other sports who are known to love pool and could lend their name, directly contribute, and twist arms of friends and contacts? Other? Have any ideas, anyone? If so, please share! If enough $ can be raised, it can be a sanctioned event!

I actually thought about that. I do wonder if the fellas who raised the money for the DCC 14.1 for those years would be willing to pass that money onto the Burrows event? It would certainly continue their efforts without having the logistics of running an event.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World 14.1 Jacksonville FL Dec. 2-7 Advertised as 32 invites and 16 qualified entrants expected- would like to know where 16 people will be able to qualify- that would be at least 8 qualifying events being held somewhere over the next 10 weeks! I hope that ALL the info on these qualifiers is posted on this site by the promoters as well as All the updated info several weeks prior to the tournament -

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They added word "Championship" to poster. I smell trouble..
You mean as in this from their announcement?

[...] In its first outing to be hosted by a southern stat, 9Ball Heaven in Jacksonville, Florida is the selected locaton of the 79th World Straight Pool Championship on December 2-7, 2019 immediately following the Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas. [...]

(emphasis mine)

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
How is this the 79th Annual being now it's name the World 14.1 Championship.

Also it's been noticed that it's now sanctioned by the WSA (World Sports Alumni) which is CW's other business ?

I Am not against any of this Some 14.1 is better than no 14.1, it's been just discussed all over on facebook.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
awesome, bringing The World's event here to Jax :thumbup: :rotflmao1:

I'm surprised it isn't at his old favorite Bankshot but just looked now and see the place closed in the spring. Forgot that dumpy strip mall had its roof collapse or whatever. Pretty pathetic it is at 9 Ball Heaven. At least it is only about 1/2 mile from my Italian joint where I can get some grub in between rounds.

Wonder if anyone will show up. I'd go watch it but knowing the Dragon he'll try to charge like $20/session. Good luck.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
awesome, bringing The World's event here to Jax :thumbup: :rotflmao1:

I'm surprised it isn't at his old favorite Bankshot but just looked now and see the place closed in the spring. Forgot that dumpy strip mall had its roof collapse or whatever. Pretty pathetic it is at 9 Ball Heaven. At least it is only about 1/2 mile from my Italian joint where I can get some grub in between rounds.

Wonder if anyone will show up. I'd go watch it but knowing the Dragon he'll try to charge like $20/session. Good luck.

Well I take that back, he is charging $10 a session:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2398400310480552/?active_tab=about

He won't be selling many.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that I will make the 6 hour drive just to watch, unless they hold a qualifier mid state and then anything can happen!