Raised Numbers on Centennial Vintage Balls?

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I won an auction for these Centennial Vintage Balls. I noticed that I can feel the circled numbers raised slightly. Is this normal for Vintage Centennial's? Are the newer Centennial's like this as well? Any insight to Centennial Balls appreciated.
Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 396

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't understand why so many people still believe in older is better, do people really believe that nothing ever gets made better over time? If a set of centennial balls was worn out 50 years ago, they'd still be worn out today, not better than balls being made today.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't understand why so many people still believe in older is better, do people really believe that nothing ever gets made better over time? If a set of centennial balls was worn out 50 years ago, they'd still be worn out today, not better than balls being made today.

He won an auction. He asked a couple of questions. I never saw in the OP him saying anything about "older is better".

Maniac

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of Centenials I bought new around 1995-96, and have not noticed any issues like that at all, In your pic it almost looks like an insert in one of the balls, like the ball was cast around it. Mine do not look like that. I don't know if they changed the process at some point or not.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of Centenials I bought new around 1995-96, and have not noticed any issues like that at all, In your pic it almost looks like an insert in one of the balls, like the ball was cast around it. Mine do not look like that. I don't know if they changed the process at some point or not.

I thought the center number area was a rod going through the middle of the ball? I remember seeing some graphic about it, a bit like a candy with a filling.

The wear on the balls does differ and over years I can see easily something happening with that area of contact or slightly different hardness. Even if there is less than a 1% difference in hardness over years of use that can be very noticeable.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the center number area was a rod going through the middle of the ball? I remember seeing some graphic about it, a bit like a candy with a filling.

The wear on the balls does differ and over years I can see easily something happening with that area of contact or slightly different hardness. Even if there is less than a 1% difference in hardness over years of use that can be very noticeable.

In the OP's second picture the 7 ball certainly looks like what you described, a rod thru the middle. My Centenials do not look at all like that. It seems I read somewhere years ago that the process was changed, but I don't know where or when I read it. I would certainly agree that if the materials are different hardness then they will certainly wear at different rates.