2019 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it gets frustrating at times when I hit the pocket perfect and the ball rattles and sits in the jaws knowing that that ball drops every time on a diamond pro am.

Yep, that's how my friends table plays....its brutal.

It plays so tough, my normal 9 ball ghost score to 11 averages 11-8...11-9.

On my 9' pro am, its usually in range of 11-2...to 11-4.

I'm currently trying to put a race to 25 together. I've did it before but, it's been a while. Lol.....I just didn't realize how much my game had fell until I attempted the race to 25 this time (a few days ago).

It's not so much my game that has fell, it's more my "health".

I noticed you have workout equipment. That's a good thing.

Staying fit will allow you to keep your game tight further into your fifties, sixties and even seventies (for some...lucky bastards).

I've not posted my last few attempts at the race to 25 because I wasn't able to finish. I think the closest I've got to finishing this year is 14-? (14 to 6,7,8...can't remember for sure).

I'm thinking of just playing a set to "whenever I fall".....lol.... that way if it ends up being 10,11,12 etc...etc... I won't feel guilty (thanks OCD) about not finishing the race since it will be a "race to the death".....lol.... ,so to speak.

Anyways, yep, people that play on 7, 8 and 9 footers, especially if their tables are not diamonds, have "no idea" how tough your table is.

A 9' GC would have to have (in ballpark of) 3 7/8" corners to be comparable to your table......lol.....and that's not even considering the shelf.

Brutal, brutally and brutalized!!!!!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost to 10-ball Ghost 16-21
It was a livestream and link is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o91ev_-2fY

I have been playing Snooker and Kaisa due Finnish Champs qualifications. So my pool is weak atm. Just wanted to shoot some 14.1 but sucked at it and then decided shoot one ghost.
I made through qualification on Kaisa Champs and playing Semifinal 25th of may. Next weekend I have Snooker Finnish Champs qualification. Last 4 play semifinal also 25th of May... :D

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost to 10-ball Ghost 16-21
It was a livestream and link is here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o91ev_-2fY

I have been playing Snooker and Kaisa due Finnish Champs qualifications. So my pool is weak atm. Just wanted to shoot some 14.1 but sucked at it and then decided shoot one ghost.
I made through qualification on Kaisa Champs and playing Semifinal 25th of may. Next weekend I have Snooker Finnish Champs qualification. Last 4 play semifinal also 25th of May... :D

CONGRATULATIONS on your snooker and Kaisa play and we hope to see more of your pool soon.

I, like you, have been concentrating on much longer races. Lol..... my back, neck and feet are giving me problems but, I think it is helping my game "in general".

As soon as I'm "physically able" to actually finish a race to 25 I will post it. I will post it whether I win or lose, no matter.....lol.... how bad I do.

I'm just trying to be able to keep my focus and concentration for longer and longer sets.

To me, after playing a really long set, well, a set to 7, 8, 9 or even 11 seems very short.

Those really long-and-grinding sets have a way to make you better.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lost firta one 111-5
qon second 15-9. too drunk to play more.

EDIT: LOL
Lost first 11-15
Won second 15-9 :D
Funny. I did not remember that I updated score :D

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-Ball Finnish Champs tomorrow.
Lately, I have been trying to improve my 9-ball break with "kitchen-rule".
That´s why I played some pro ghost without ball in hand.
First one I started with 4 runouts. then Ghost rallied and it went 4-4. Then I had to quit match due visitors.

After they left I started new set and won that 7-3 :eek:

I try upload it after weekend on YouTube.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay. I just was banging some balls yesterday in our club. Then I decided I go play one set Ghost race to 7. I told my buddy, that asked me come play money game in Russian Pyramid that if I miss any shots I come to play. I then played fast and loose and destroyed Ghost 7-0 while talking to my buddies :D

Anyways I decided to upload that because I´ve been lazy to do anything on my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq-dVFyQ3pA&t=

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi.
Yesterday 8/4/17 I Played 15-Ball Ghost match where I had time to just give one go and decided to give my best effort.
Funny what mental decision can do to your focus. I basically put myself in "Stroke" from slump. Just decided to shoot as good I could.

I played a lot slower than normal but that is okay. 15-Ball ghost is super-duper-hard.

Won the set 7-4

https://youtu.be/f0gzMY2BJ64

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was clearing up my laptop and found 9-Ball pro Ghost match from early summer, I think.
It was a race to 11 without ball in hand.
Lost it 9-11. Even I played some great racks I was missing some normal run outs.
Anyways I enjoyed seeing it when I found it and decided to add some copyright free music and practice some editing skills too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjF6O3ksRtI&t=

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven’t been recording a whole lot. Managed to get this 7-3 win, playing 10ball ghost on video.

4.25” pockets black crown
7-3 win 10ball ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPhMzfX6sNI&t=18s&app=desktop

Video title says 7.2 win?
Nice 10-ball break. Solid stroke mechanics and nice preshot routine. You seem also be really taking care about your table. One more way to keep it better is get Taom Chalk. No mess and cloth stays cleaner. Especially rails.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice 10-ball break. Solid stroke mechanics and nice preshot routine. You seem also be really taking care about your table. One more way to keep it better is get Taom Chalk. No mess and cloth stays cleaner. Especially rails.

Yeah I screwed up the title lol, forgot to fix it. Never heard of Taom Chalk, i’ll check it out thanks 👍

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What tip do you use when using taom chalk?

I've found that taom and kamui isn't the best combination.

Jeff

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I screwed up the title lol, forgot to fix it. Never heard of Taom Chalk, i’ll check it out thanks 👍

Taom chalk is extremely clean. It leaves little to no residue on CB and even less on felt.

IMO, you need to chalk more often if you use laminated tips while using taom.

FYI:

John Schmidt says the techno dud tip and taom chalk is the best combination he has ever played with.

I've bought and used the taom chalk but, I've been using a kamui black soft tip. In my experience, taom chalk and kamui tips do not work well together.

I'm gonna give the techno dud tip a try with the taom chalk after current tip.

Jeff

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What tip do you use when using taom chalk?

I've found that taom and kamui isn't the best combination.

Jeff

I use Elkmasters.
Works better with soft tips for sure. Not working so good with phenolic break tips but it is okay. Need to just put some effort.
I would recommend Taom own Fusion tip. Kamui´s I don´t like anyways. Dunno why they are so popular.
It is marketed be softer from edges and harder from middle. My experience it is laminated Elkmaster :D
I probably try it soon in my own stick too.
Best part is that I don´t really ever get any skids. That is reason I am able to run almost every session around 100 on 14.1. Also Mr 626 changed to Taom when he was trying to break Mosconi´s record. I believe he would never broke it without reduced "kicks"..

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Elkmasters.
Works better with soft tips for sure. Not working so good with phenolic break tips but it is okay. Need to just put some effort.
I would recommend Taom own Fusion tip. Kamui´s I don´t like anyways. Dunno why they are so popular.
It is marketed be softer from edges and harder from middle. My experience it is laminated Elkmaster :D
Best part is that I don´t really ever get any skids. That is reason I am able to run almost every session around 100 on 14.1. Also Mr 626 changed to Taom when he was trying to break Mosconi´s record. I believe he would never broke it without reduced "kicks"..

I figured you where using an elk master or something similar.

Like many players my age that have not played in a couple decades, I used lepro, elk masters and triangles before returning years later and finding all the new equipment to work through and with.

Some of the latest equipment is a huge improvement but, I'm not sure the tips qualify.

I'm going to try an elk master soon and see if I like them as much as I did in my youth.

Thanks for the info,

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Elkmasters.

I bit the bullet and cut off an almost new Kamui Black Soft off my revo today and had a Techno Dud installed.

Do you install your own tips? Do you use pressed elks or soaked and pressed or do you use elks straight from the box?

Thanks,

Jeff