Incorrect Grip?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I was having the same problem as you, and have been really working on my grip this past year. I've come far with a full, tight grip; but, it was holding me back. So I've worked to relearn some muscle memory. Recently, I moved the "anchor" finger of my grip to my middle finger, if that makes sense. The cue does not rest on my index finger, at all. That really helped me maintain a really loose grip while containing the cue and preventing the slide.

BTW what is happening is not called a slip stroke. That is another beast all together.

MagicMcNamara

Registered
As he pointed out, he's not Efren. For the vast majority of players, letting the cue stick slip during the stroke is broken, stupid, and goofy.

I think there is no player in the top 50 pool players now who lets the cue stick slip, and I'm pretty sure you could go through the top 500 snooker and carom players and not find one who uses a slip stroke. Nearly all carom players use rubber wraps.

When I played last night it was difficult to play at my usual level obviously because I was thinking about what my hand and fingers were doing. But, I had a handful of nice stroke shots and you can really feel the difference between your cue sliding around and when you have it so your hand is not letting it slip out during the contact. It feels so much more pure. I can say the same thing about the break.. my cueball control wasn't what it usually is but I really felt the transfer of energy through the cueball a lot better.

This has been very helpful, I appreciate all the feedback. This is going to be a very beneficial change to my game and it's exciting.

Also, regarding the guy who said I need to lose weight it's okay really. I was thinking after that clown decided to be a goof for no reason I would never come back to this forum because what kind of community is this if that's what you get when you're looking to other players/instructors for help. But a few of you actually offered advice and did help me with great advice.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
As long as you don't state your opinion on anything, you'll be safe here.

Welcome aboard and send us a link to a video of you playing.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you're doing now.
Hope using the big arm muscles instead
of your hand helped.
What are those tables?
Don't see may pool halls with that type
of equipment.
I like them.

MagicMcNamara

Registered
Palason I believe is the brand. They need new tables there. I just go there once in a blue moon cause it’s close to my house. The use of the bicep and tricep for the stroke is definitely good. I just need to get used to how to hold the cue and actually not use my fingers. Hopefully the way I’m doing it now is actually correct.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Palason I believe is the brand

I was curious too - superficially they looked like old T-rail BBC so i was wondering where the room was, to have so much left from the '20's, '30's.....:)

Can't comment on the stroke. 30 years ago when i was a top tier bar box banger level player :grin: i had a slip stroke. After getting back into pool again, more on big tables, i have no stroke. :(

smt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
As he pointed out, he's not Efren. For the vast majority of players, letting the cue stick slip during the stroke is broken, stupid, and goofy.

I think there is no player in the top 50 pool players now who lets the cue stick slip, and I'm pretty sure you could go through the top 500 snooker and carom players and not find one who uses a slip stroke. Nearly all carom players use rubber wraps.
I think the short death grip pokey stroke looks goofey.

Most of them have fluid stroke. And you can catch them wrist the cue often. https://youtu.be/2Qaaux33v6k?t=564
And there is a gap between the cue and the web of their grip hand/

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Looking at the video, I would say Mr. McNamara has some talent and a nice stroke. Good job!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are amazing me with your attention
to detail and analylictic powers

Honestly, I just grab the cue,lookand shoot.

No wonder that I never improved much after the first year I played

I was the same way with golf,players took 6 months working on their grip

I needed to win today,so i never took time to improve

MagicMcNamara

Registered
I was curious too - superficially they looked like old T-rail BBC so i was wondering where the room was, to have so much left from the '20's, '30's.....:)

Can't comment on the stroke. 30 years ago when i was a top tier bar box banger level player :grin: i had a slip stroke. After getting back into pool again, more on big tables, i have no stroke. :(

smt

Nova Scotia, Canada. The room is called doolys. Definitely not the worst tables but we have a couple rooms with the newer gold crowns and that's where I usually play because the conditions are tighter.

Looking at the video, I would say Mr. McNamara has some talent and a nice stroke. Good job!

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Agreed. I'm not sure why you are pointing that out?

I posted that because I find Dennis' grip to be a modified
version of the snooker grip.
I thought the guy might like to play around with it
and that video has a really good angle on his grip type.

I'll be honest with you, I have been trying to make sense of a full grip and its extremely difficult or maybe unnatural is a better way of putting it. Definitely death gripping and my cue is going off of my aiming line.. I might just try the index and middle finger grip like dennis and ronato have again. It might make sense because my pinky and my ring finger seem to want to come off of the cue already.

From what I recall back a couple years ago when I was trying that grip out for a few months my timing felt really precise.. I suppose that didn't necessarily have to be the grip but it is worth a try. I know people always say never to hold the cue like that but naturally I do seem to be trying to hold it with my front two fingers. We'll see tomorrow.