Gold Crown Barn Find

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Operation Table Lift:

I drop my castings and feet off at the powder coater tomorrow to be redone. Instead of disassembling everything to get the feet off, I took pocket's lead by jacking up the table. I used a piece of 4x4 braced with 1" plywood so it couldn't walk. In place of the feet are 3/4"-16 x 3.5" Grade 8 bolts resting on carpeted 1" plywood pads. It worked like a charm and should suffice until I get my parts back from powder. Hopefully Friday.

49011320372_56d7e07e69_c.jpg

49011320192_0c0e86cd7a_c.jpg

49010577533_e83feff8a2_c.jpg

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ That looks good and secure there, Scott. It's too bad that it had to be done at all, but you don't want 1200 lbs. strictly resting on your jack.

Did you get a better price..or at least a better feeling of competence at the new company you sent the feet and castings to this time?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ That looks good and secure there, Scott. It's too bad that it had to be done at all, but you don't want 1200 lbs. strictly resting on your jack.

Did you get a better price..or at least a better feeling of competence at the new company you sent the feet and castings to this time?

Thanks. Yes, pocket found a reputable shop that will be doing the work.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We got our parts back from the powder coater. They aren't 100% perfect but they came out very good. We learned a ton about powder coating through this whole ordeal. The bottom line: our cast parts are the most difficult to get perfect. The nature of casting causes gases to be trapped in the metal which are released when heated. This causes out gassing which results in bubbling/blistering on the finish. Our parts went through several rounds of the coating process to achieve an acceptable finish. There are a few small imperfections on some of the pieces which are acceptable and most likely unavoidable. The important thing is the process was done correctly with the base color and a clear protective coat; unlike our experience with the previous shop. These should hold their finish and look new for many years to come. Big shout out to Justin and John at Concept Powder Coating in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. They went through several redo's without complaint or a price increase over the original quote. Now it's onto getting the table(s) setup. Our mechanic will be starting with my table this coming week. We're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

49188115421_98e5d4fbb8_c.jpg

49187618258_a2955aee33_c.jpg

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking fantastic, sir. Simply fantastic.

It’s a pleasure seeing the transformation and your dedication to the elusive “perfection” ..... along with progress reports along the journey. It’s like being there without all of the sweat and miles

Bravo!

~ K.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking fantastic, sir. Simply fantastic.

It’s a pleasure seeing the transformation and your dedication to the elusive “perfection” ..... along with progress reports along the journey. It’s like being there without all of the sweat and miles

Bravo!

~ K.

Thank you, sir.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could it be that we've finally gotten past all the roadblocks? Excited to imagine that there is a light at the end of this tunnel!!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use 50yr old cushions? Why risk 'em being bad? Replace them.

I have a Gold Crown I, purportedly a 1963 model, that had a minor face lift under the previous owner, about 4 years ago: reproduction replacement feet and pocket castings, paint, and Simonis 860. He was told by the mechanic that the cushions were fine - apparently had some kind of tool to measure this, squeezing them somehow. They are the original cushions, so 56 years old. I never saw them, but I measured across the top and the rubber is 1 1/8", which I read is an indicator of Monarch Superspeed Cushions.

I think it plays great! I'm not a great player, so what do I know. But they seem lively, and accurate, i.e., balls rebound at what seems like the correct angles.

I would like to have an objective way of evaluating them. I saw an image on Championship Billiards' site that shows a ramp and a ball rebounding around the table, but there's not a full description accompanying it:

cushions-main.gif

I would build the ramp if I had all of the parameters.

I enjoy having a true Gold Crown I, with the original pocket dimensions, and original rail and rubber configuration: the true Gold Crown I experience. At 9' it's enough of a challenge, and at the same time enjoyable for family and friends who are not serious pool players.

I'm thrilled with mine. I wish someone would make Monarch Superspeed cushion rubber again!

(Maybe I should revert to a period-realistic cloth if I ever recover it!)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have a Gold Crown I, purportedly a 1963 model, that had a minor face lift under the previous owner, about 4 years ago: reproduction replacement feet and pocket castings, paint, and Simonis 860. He was told by the mechanic that the cushions were fine - apparently had some kind of tool to measure this, squeezing them somehow. They are the original cushions, so 56 years old. I never saw them, but I measured across the top and the rubber is 1 1/8", which I read is an indicator of Monarch Superspeed Cushions.

I think it plays great! I'm not a great player, so what do I know. But they seem lively, and accurate, i.e., balls rebound at what seems like the correct angles.

I would like to have an objective way of evaluating them. I saw an image on Championship Billiards' site that shows a ramp and a ball rebounding around the table, but there's not a full description accompanying it:

cushions-main.gif

I would build the ramp if I had all of the parameters.

I enjoy having a true Gold Crown I, with the original pocket dimensions, and original rail and rubber configuration: the true Gold Crown I experience. At 9' it's enough of a challenge, and at the same time enjoyable for family and friends who are not serious pool players.

I'm thrilled with mine. I wish someone would make Monarch Superspeed cushion rubber again!

(Maybe I should revert to a period-realistic cloth if I ever recover it!)
The best rubber ever !

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is he re-cutting the angle for the new cushion profile on the subrails?

Yes he knows what he’s doing. I’ve played on several GC’s he’s worked on. Rexus’ last table was done by him.

Full confidence.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is he re-cutting the angle for the new cushion profile on the subrails?

Yes. Adding wood at the ends of the rails, correctly beveling the subrail to accept modern rubber and cutting the corner pockets to 4.125" and the sides to 4.875". I believe the pocket angle will be 141 degrees with a 13 degree down angle.

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope it all goes well, and that you'll get to play on those tables really soon!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Adding wood at the ends of the rails, correctly beveling the subrail to accept modern rubber and cutting the corner pockets to 4.125" and the sides to 4.875". I believe the pocket angle will be 141 degrees with a 13 degree down angle.

Wow. That's tight.

I thought there was usually a 1/2" difference from corner to side; are the sizes you mention the "standard" diff for the tighter pockets?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Wow. That's tight.

I thought there was usually a 1/2" difference from corner to side; are the sizes you mention the "standard" diff for the tighter pockets?

I think you are right, 1/2" difference is standard. Not sure why this is not the case here.

On a side note: I will not make a side pocket tighter than 4 3/4" because any tighter just limits shots you can actually make in the side = changes the game to much.

Just my $0.02.

Trent from Toledo